Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 07:12:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Is my crank set dead???  (Read 2307 times)

Andy

• Novice
    • My K2
Is my crank set dead???
« on: April 24, 2003, 12:49:18 am »
I know I should probably spend the lousy $40 it would cost to get a new crank set (a closeout set obviously), but I wonder if I really need to. Plus my wife was laid off, so we are a single income home right now.

My problem is, that my crank arm came loose a few times on the last ride. I used (blue) locktight, but may not have cleaned the threads properly before applying it.

I sprayed automotive brake cleaner in the BB (in the spindle where the bolt goes) and cleaned the bolt real well. I covered the bolt with locktight and cranked it down.

I'm gonna try it today, but was wondering if I'm trying too hard to save the unsalvagable.

What do you think???

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Is my crank set dead???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 01:05:44 am »
that sounds more like a bottom bracket / crank bolt issue and not necessarily the cranks - if the bolt works loose, the cranks will as well.

the bolt holds the crank arm on by screwing into the spindle.  might try a new bolt with some fresh threads if the old one seems to go in too easily, try wrapping the threads with a little teflon tape, spraypaint or nailpolish and let dry the threads, rough up the threads of the bolt a bit with a file or such.

lotsa things to try before shelling out the big bucks.

OP
« Last Edit: April 24, 2003, 02:01:30 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 01:06:45 am »
  Are you torqueing it to spec.? 28-30 ft. lbs. After it is torqued down remove the bolt and make sure the crank arm is not bottoming on BB, if so the arm is toast.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:55:50 am »
i cracked two shimano XT crank arms on my 857, if ther are no cracks down there (clean it and take a look)otherwise, i agree with the BB theory.

Irby

• Apprentice
  • live to ride ride to live....(old dirtbike mantra)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 04:59:17 am »
Andy, I once saved a crankset by shimming the bottom bracket taper surfaces with pieces of aluminum from a coke can. If your crank is on it's last legs and nothing else works, give it a try. Dan