Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 07:16:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Vector 1 Re-Install Elastomer Question  (Read 3152 times)

dupe13

• Novice
Vector 1 Re-Install Elastomer Question
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:15:24 pm »
Hi all...New to the board and hoping to find some quick answers as I need to get back on my bike!  I am replacing the elastomers on a mid-90's Vector 1 fork, and I have a question:  What size/height should the elastomers be?  I ask because I ordered a set of replacements from K2 a few years back, and as I was putting them on tonight, I am having a tough time getting the shock body back together.  With the two elastomers and spacers, the stack comes right up to the top of the guide rod, which then needs to attach to the damper tube, but the bolt appears to be a good 1/2" to 3/4" away form making contact with the threads.  My first thought was to throw it all in a clamp to preload it, but looking closer at the pictures in the original manual, I am beginning to think the lower elastomer looks a bit shorter than the upper, but mine are the same length (about 1 3/4" each).  Any thoughts?

And a follow up...If I do need to cut down an elastomer, any thoughts on the best way to do so? Kitchen knife, razor blade, band saw...?

Thanks!
'89 Wicked Fat Chance
'95 Ludichris Designs (Girvin sponsored team -forks only)

Spokes

• Guru
Re: Vector 1 Re-Install Elastomer Question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
I would say just cut them down to fit. A Stanley knife and a chain mail glove should do the job!

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

dupe13

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »
Thanks for the cutting tips. I'll go at it with a fresh blade when it's time to cut, but I am thinking there must be a specific height they should be, to allow for appropriate pre-load when you adjust the blue nut at the bottom.  I could cut until the threads just catch, and pull it together, or I could cut it to the point where there is no compression on the elastomers until I go at the pre-load adjustment.  I might be over-thinking it, but I definitely don't want to cut those pricey elastomers too short...Thanks again, Josh
'89 Wicked Fat Chance

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 03:33:55 pm »
Mark the short one to  1-5/16" or 34mm whichever floats your boat.  I would use a hose clamp indexed to the several marks as a guide and saw it off slowly with a bread knife indexing the flat side to the clamp.  A little water should lube the knife sufficiently.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:27:10 am »
For a smoother cut, consider jamming the elastomer onto the end of a large drill bit and spinning it while you hold the saw blade stationary. DO NOT allow the tip of the saw to get caught in the elastomer, or the saw will go flying.

dupe13

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:47:07 am »
Thanks for the tips...I'll be sure to post pictures when I lose an eye with my homemade lathe! One last question, then I'll leave you all alone for a while.  Is it correct that the BOTTOM elastomer should be the SHORTER and FIRMER of the two?
'89 Wicked Fat Chance

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:58:59 am »
The stacking order doesn't matter, but the shorter one needs to be stiffer, yes. Otherwise it'll bottom-out and stop providing travel, and the top elastomer will have to provide all the remaining travel, which will cause a sudden change in the spring rate of the whole assembly.