Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 01:25:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: marathon  (Read 2832 times)

guman007

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
marathon
« on: August 05, 2005, 08:43:05 am »
Has anyone some expierience with mtb marathons? I can't change the bike (it's a Proflex offcourse!!) but are 2.3 tires better than 2.1 or 1.9? I'm talking about 120 km, that's about 80 miles. Or is this just a silly idea?

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: marathon
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 10:45:30 am »
I don't have any experience with marathons, but I used 2.3's on my bike the last two years, and went to 2.1's this year.

this change has made my bike much easier to pedal and has made it come alive.

so, I would suggest that for a marathon, the 2.1's would make it far easier to finish as it reduces rotational weight and makes the bike easier to pedal.

of course, it depends on the terrain, also.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 12:01:45 pm »
i have done a 100 km ride a few times on the ol 756...It was quite easy riding(from the technical sense) just a gravel road going through high back country terrain.I did run narrow tires but  it wll depend n the sort of terrrain you are riding.The main thing will be your fitness!Carry as much fluid as you can,unless you know therer are water stops and take food!
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 01:12:45 pm »
Haven't done an actual "marathon" but I've done a few long rides in my time. I'd say stay away from 2.3s unless they're small ones. Manufacturer's vary greatly and, for example, a 2.3 Continental Vertical Pro is actually smaller than many 2.1" tires on the market. If the course is very smooth, you might consider the 1.9s even due to the lower weight, but you'll sacrifice somewhat in the "cush" of the ride. (I still think tires make more difference than suspension in how a bike "feels"). The 2.1 seems to be a great comprimise. Can be about as light as the 1.9 without being too harsh.

Just stay away from semi-slick tires unless you don't plan on going fast off-road. I've got a freshly fractured shoulder to prove that it's a bad idea for technical riding!

And like Kiwi said - the real key to a long ride like that is hydration and nutrition. You'll eat more than you thought possible. I've done 150+ mile days in the mountains on a road bike with 35lbs of camping gear and this skinny little body absorbed more food and water than I would have thought possible.

By the way, where' the ride going to be?
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 02:34:19 am »
Why should it be a silly idea?

Not at all!!

I do several marathons each year with my 5000. But only the small round. You plan to do the big round, right? 120km sounds like more than 2000 hm, right?
If you are a novice in that business, I'd say start with the small round. For the begining 60 to 90 km with 1000 to 2000 hm should be enough. It'll take you about 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours to ride.
For the big round (your 120 km with 2500 to 3000hm) it'll take you some 7 hours + of pure riding.

In general marathons are technically not very tricky. 2000 or 3000 riders have to be able to pass the track within a few hours, so it can't be technically tricky.
You will have long and steep climbs and some wider trail downhills (mostly no singletrails)
But roots and rocks are common on those trails (at least in the Alps where I do my marathons) so don't underestimate it. And it takes a long time. Your concentration will surely collaps after 4 hours.

So, let's talk about the tires.

1.9 is bullshit.
You don't want to have flat tires all the way, so the tire has do have a at least medium puncture protection.
It is not a cross country race, so you need a tire that will do some work for you, if your concentration lacks 4 hours after the start.
So take at least a 2.1 with sufficient grip.
I have good experience with the IRC Mythos 2.1.
Light, good traction, nearly no flats and runs light (very important for that long races)
Or the schwalbe big jim 2.25. better in the corners I think.

Allways take foldable tires, they provide a better light running performance and some say they got the better rubber.
Light tubes like the schwalbe x light will do the rest. durable and lightrunning.

so, enjoy your first marathon.

Matti
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

guman007

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: marathon- had to stop!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 08:31:59 am »
Well, I started yesterday in my first marathon and after 20 km in a fast downhill there were two tracks..and suddenly three! The front wheel went to the right and the rear took the track in the middle.. After sliding and trying to break at quite a speed the bike stayed on the right and I flew quite a distance to the left were I landed on my left side. Hurt my left arm, hip and leg. I stayed quite a while on the ground but after a while I got up and nothing was broken. I continued but the bike was acting quite strange and didn't steer well, but maybe that was me still a bit dizzy??? Because I heard I big "crack!" from the bike during my take-off I took a good look at the bike but I noticed nothing! Strong frame, I' m sure about that!! My elbow and hip are still hurting a  bit!

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 11:42:21 am »
Yikes! Sounds like my first MTB race last month! (Left hip, elbow, and shoulder).

So, were you able to finish the ride, or did you have to stop?

Oh, and what tires did you decide to go with? My crash was entirely the fault of bad tires (1.9" semi-slicks).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:42:49 am by Matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

guman007

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 08:34:20 am »
I had to stop!! After the fall I stayed some time on the ground but I can't tell how long it took before I started again! I was a bit confused I think and had no idea off time (I still knew where I was luckely!). The 90 km bunch who started 15 min later came over me quite some time later I think but I was to afraid to follow in the descents so I stopped. I still have some pain and bruzes on my left and in my neck side but nothings broken. Yesterday I did 100 km on my roadbike whithout many problems, only when I'm walking everyting is a bit stiff.

The tires were new Schwalbe Jimmy 2.1 (not foldable) but I noticed already before they were not very stable (I tried different pressures 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 ) but there's always a kind of "swing" in the rear wheel. Last week the man who does my wheels said that the wheels were straight but not the tires. I should have done more testing I think. Maybe I try a more flat and sandy 100 km next sunday whith the Panaracer 1.95 and other wheels. They seem to be"flatter" abd better in the corners and more rolling then the Schwalbes. I'll have a friend of mine testing the  other pair of wheels and tires  later this month.

O yes, the winner was 20 years old and lives in the region. He did 5 hours 21 min over the 120 km and 2.800 hm! I saw him warming up on a Tackx roller before the start...347 out of 550 came in on time.