Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 05:18:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 5500 Bottom Bracket size  (Read 3705 times)

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
5500 Bottom Bracket size
« on: August 22, 2005, 02:33:13 am »
Hi All,
I've just got my hands on a Carbon Chainset/Crankset to continue the carbonisation of the 5500 (can you get carbon tyres....? <GRIN>)
It's a FSA Carbon PRO Mountain bike Chainset, Octolink fixing.
Obviously I now also need to change the Bottom Bracket to an Octolink one.
Anyone definately sure what size it is?
I've checked the look up sheet
http://www.geocities.com/k2bike_files/k2_spec1998.html
and it says Shimano BB-M950 73mm x 113mm, is this correct? my XP-X (856) only has a 68mm x 110mm on it.
Any recommendations on makes and models?

Thanks all
Col.

2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: 5500 Bottom Bracket size
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:08:20 am »
With my 4500
using a square taper B/B I used 73X113
using ISIS B/B I used 73X113
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:24:22 am »
Colin,

welcome to the FSA carbon crank club. as for carbon tires,  I know that there are road carbon tires, but haven't seen any yet for mtb. have you gotten carbon wheels yet?

I absolutely love my FSA carbon cranks, I have 'em on both of my mtb's and also on my road bike. they are really tough. I use the FSA platinum pro ti ISIS bb's with these cranks and they work wonderfully.

good luck with yours!

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:09:56 am »
Have to agree with Dennis,
I have FSA platinum pro ti ISIS B/B on both my 4500
and the 856 Project bike,they've been great,(good value in the UK as well)
unlike my previous B/B, Raceface ,the bearings didn't last very long,replaceable though.
Simon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 06:13:05 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:34:58 am »
unlike my previous B/B, Raceface ,the bearings didn't last very long,replaceable though.
Simon.

I've heard from several sources that this is an issue with virtually ALL ISIS bottom brackets. Supposedly the design limits the size of the bearings to a size small enough to wear out easily. Not sure if this is true, but certainly searchable on mtbr. Chris King originally shied away from making ISIS bottom brackets because of this - with an explanation on their website. (I remember reading it). However, NOW their website says they're working on an ISIS BB. So, if they get one on the market, you KNOW it will work and last as long as anything out there!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 09:49:09 am »
Just to clarify, the Raceface B/B was a steel Taperlock not ISIS,and it was similiar price to the FSA ISIS Ti.
Switched to ISIS when the R/F bearings were shot,
the FSA uses 3 bearings oposed to the usual 2,
most reviews appear to be favourable but some have complained of bearing failure,all I can say mine have been fine,
Simon.

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 10:06:23 am »
Carbon cranks......sweet !!!!

my r.f. taperlock..3 years and still going strong, no troubles at all.

Matno, yeah C. King bottom bracket. It'll probably have the really loud CLICK, CLICK, CLICK !!!  hehe  [smiley=laughing.gif]
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:55:46 am »
Matno,

as for the CK ISIS bb, I think they've had that statement about how they are working on it on their website for about 5 years now. I don't think it will ever happen, but you never know. If they do make one, I will get one. CK products are amazing. I have their headsets on all of my bikes and its something I never have to think about. they just work.

as for the FSA bb, I have had no problems with any of mine, ever.

[smiley=groucho.gif]

K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 02:39:30 pm »
I have Race face Next LP cranks and the ti ISIS bb on my 5500.  I think it was a 73/113, but I can't remember for sure.  The Next LPs are carbon but with and alluminium shell.  I have had these on my 5500 for 2 plus years now, but I really don't have a whole lot of milage on the bike, but I have had no problems.  Now, when I am in shape I am at the 185-195 lb area, and am now closer to 215.  So when I bought the Race Face gear they had weight limits for a lot of their stuff.  I aksed them about my weight and what I wanted.  The cranks they said I would be fine where I am an XC racer type, but I might find them flexy.  I have noticed no flex at all.  And it is interesting to note that I was too heavy for the square ended ti bb, but Race Face said I was fine to buy the ti ISIS bb.  And that thing is LITE!  When the bike shop owner (who was excited to actually be ordering this stuff) said he checked the box to make sure there was something in there.  Now is FSA an American brand?  I don't think I had heard of them at the time I built the bike.  My goal was to build a bike with all American parts (but Canadian parts are just as good), but I still have been forced to use an XT fd.   [smiley=disbelief.gif]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:45:07 pm by jazclrint »
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 12:33:31 am »
jaz,

as for using american (and some canadian) parts, I had the same idea for my bike. unfortunately, like you, i ended up with a shimano front der. as nothing else will fit on the Oz.

FSA is based in the usa, but like so many other american companies these days, their stuff is made (for the most part) in taiwan. if you look closely you'll notice other carbon crank brands that are identical to the FSA cranks. I have a theory that all the carbon bike components are made in the same factory in taiwan.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 12:48:16 am »
Even Cannondale, the "ultimate" US company now makes their new all carbon road bike (the "Synapse") in the far east. I guess it's just so much cheaper to have carbon stuff done over there because they've got the technology set up and the labor is cheap. Can't argue with that.

However, I did just read an article that said there's going to be a shortage/price jump of carbon fiber as the aerospace industry is starting to use it in large quantities. Apparently, they pay more than bike makers...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 02:20:26 am »
Thanks Guys!
As always an excellent response, albeit the thread starting to wander somewhat!    [smiley=coolfrown.gif]...............
.............ha ha only joking.... ::)
So to draw it back on track.......
So I need a 73 x 113 Octalink BB.
I guess the reason I got the FSA Chainset at a good price is that I believe they have stopped making them in Octalink fixing and now only do them in ISIS....?
Also, I can't find an FSA Octalink BB for probably the same reason! Anyone seen one?
Only Shimano ES70 or 71......does anyone know the difference, if any?
Also, will I need any magical tools to change the BB ??

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]
Col.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 02:55:57 am by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 03:39:46 am »
the difference between the octalink bb and an isis bb is the octalink has 8 splines and the isis has 9 splines. i havent seen any other manufacturer making octalink compatible bb`s and very few chainsets that arent shimano are octalink.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 05:13:00 am »
matno,

another reason why all this carbon stuff is made over there is they don't have OHSHA. turns out the epoxy and stuff is very toxic, so over here workers have to be protected, which costs alot of money. over there, they just let workers die, I guess.

I know that most windsurfer boards are now made in Thailand for the same reason. they are made of EPS foam (very similar to styrofoam) and carbon/fiberglass. very expensive over here due to all the toxic fumes, over there workers are unprotected.

funny how we are so worried about the environment and worker protection, but  other countries don't seem to care. the world is going to end up being so polluted that all our conservation may be for nothing.

in China, there is a province that they have chosen for their "economic zone". its where most of their factories are. supposedly, its like America was at the turn of the century with all the factories spewing out black smoke, dumping of crap into the ocean, and everything else. its so dirty and polluted that there are diseases popping up there that occur nowhere else in the world!! (one of my students is doing a research project on a disease that occurs there and no where else, thats how I found out about it). its really bad that we are paying them to make all this stuff for us, and all they do is pollute the environment and buy weapons from Russia!!

sorry to get off the thread. bb size for Oz: 73x113

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 05:14:10 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 07:16:18 am »
Agreed. 73x113.

The ES70 and ES71 are NOT the same. You'll have to look up the compatibility. I believe I have an ES70 with my older LX cranks. The ES 71 was part of Shimano's devious plot to force XT crank buyers to also buy XT BBs (i.e. before that, both LX and XT used the same interface so you could pick and choose).

As for China, my parents are moving there next week. Teaching English in Shanghai for a year. I'm curious to see what their take is on the situation over there. They have always been fairly anti-China (referring to the govt, not the people) so it should be interesting to them. Also, I just finished reading Tom Clancy's "The Bear and the Dragon" - about China starting a war with Russia. Good story. Interesting perspective on the politics over there.