Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 03:27:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44
44 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Manitou Swinger 3 Way Mounted or Oz Frame  (Read 3502 times)

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Manitou Swinger 3 Way Mounted or Oz Frame
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:50:16 pm »

Well,  I got a Swinger 3Way shock off Ebay (8.25 i to i ) and mounted it up.   The lower bushings used on  the Noleen NR2s are nearly a perfect fit w.r.t. spacing (minor shimming required).  I happened to have two of these shocks to cannibalize.  The bushings themselves are the perfect O.D..   From the preliminary neighborhood test,  I think that this will be the beginning of a long and happy relationship. [smiley=nod.gif]  I will download pics in the gallery.

5500C

• Journeyman
Re: Manitou Swinger 3 Way Mounted or Oz Frame
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:40:49 pm »
Did you mount it upside down?  I'm a bit afraid to see how much more I have to grind of the bottom mount.  I had to take off some closer to the rear when I had my Vanilla RC, but it looks like I have to take more material closer to the shock mount and don't want to weaken it further.  I don't think that I can mount the shock right side up

I'm waiting to put mine on and wish now that I remember what the heck I with my Noleen bushings.

Would love to see some pics
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 02:42:51 pm by 5500c »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:04:12 pm »
I'm thinking the carbon frame has the upper shock mount holes close enough to the edge that you can mount it right side up without any mods. (Keep your fingers crossed).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
I tried to mount it air cylinder up but I couldn't get it to mount up without interference from both the carbon mounting web and the seat tube.  I chose to grind the swingarm mount instead.  When I had the Fox float on there I had to grind in a notch  to accomodate the Fox air filler.  I have never had a problem,  but I use my rig for XC.  The material on that mount is pretty stout.http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=carbonman1/sale_items_sebring_049.jpg

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:45:27 pm »
It looks great!!!  I need to get my dremel out and get to work!!!

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:25:49 am »
Fantastic. Still makes me wish I had bought a carbon frame! (Could have gotten one from Ediscountbike if I'd waited just one more month!) Not that I've ever had problems with my aluminum frame, and I do like yellow...

Just for future reference, I contacted Trek regarding the shock stroke length on the Liquid. For 2005 shocks, they use a 2" and for previous models (2004 or older) they used a 2.5. Looks like we all have the 2.5". Only difference on the newer shocks is that they are a little lighter and use a higher volume air chamber. Not likely a noticeable difference. Glad some of these 8.25" shocks are finally making it to the aftermarket!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 03:57:28 am »
Love the carbons but I also think the yellow 5000 is a sweet looking bike--very distinctive.

I have been waiting for some of these shocks since I first saw them on the Liquids.  I should mention on my install that I used lower bushings off of the newer Noleen shocks.  The older ones have a smaller O.D..  I didn't get to try it, but the x-link axle shafts mights be also adaptable if drilled through.  If you have one of those laying around its worth a test.  

I don't think the 2.5" travel is going to be much of an issue.  I couldn't bottom the thing jumping off my porch ( about 2.5 feet), not huge, I  admit but encouraging.  Once you guys get them installed I would like to compare notes on proper setup with the K2 leverage ratio and such.   The instructions on the shock seem pretty good.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 04:22:12 am »
I know that the Swinger shocks on Titus' RacerX are valved for a 1.83:1 ratio. That's for 100mm of travel, so I'd assume that these Trek ones, which are designed for bikes with 5 inches of travel should be valved pretty close to perfect for our bikes...

How much do you weigh? I'm about 145 (geared up on the bike). It will be a few weeks though before I can test my setup on any drops (maybe even a few months! Grrrr..)

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 06:45:50 am »
That sounds about right then,  now I'm obviouly bigger on the beer and pizza than you and probably a few years your senior ;), I'm 43,  5'9 and 185 with all my gear on.  Not a peep out of the frame, by the way.  Now the shock?.... :-/

Felix

• Novice
  • 98 4000
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:28:41 am »

I've been running the 8.25" swinger 3 way since late 2003 on a 4000 (I was lucky to get one through a Trek connection).  I haven't had any problems with bottoming out and frame clearance is fine when the shock is compressed fully.  I did have to dremel out the swingarm bracket to fit and mount it upside down.

As for setup, I would suggest running about 30% to 35% sag (about 1/2" to 3/4") and use a slightly higher SPV setting to keep the shock up in the top end of the stroke when riding.  I found this combination works best with my 5" fork on the front to give smooth suspension without Bob.  I also run a bit quicker rebound.

Enjoy, it was the single best upgrade that I've done to my bike.