Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 05:15:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Finally... Risse Shocks install - Photos  (Read 4642 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Finally... Risse Shocks install - Photos
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 06:40:23 am »
a couple of observations, re: comparing Jinder's bike with yours:

1) your fork is at least a pound heavier than Jinder's (especially since he has that Risse air shock on there), maybe even closer to 2.

2) Even with the ti spring, your rear shock is going to be noticeably heavier than an Astro5. My Astro is about a POUND lighter than my SmartShock was, so figure with your setup, you're probably a couple hundred grams heavier.

3) Jinder's frame is much lighter. It may be a tough frame, but it can't handle anywhere near the abuse that your 5000 frame can. With your Ti upgrades, his may still weigh less WITH the shock than yours does without it...

4) Claimed weights are often wrong. Granted, the German magazines are probably the most objective I've read, but even they may have weighed without pedals, for example. (Since most riders use their own preference in pedals, manufacturers don't include that weight). Shimano pedals are pretty heavy, no matter which model you're talking about.

5) You have two bottle cages, he has one...

6) Homemade carbon fiber parts are usually heavier than you think... Plus, you've got fenders.

On the other hand, you have nice wheels and Jinder has... 36 spoke wheels?! (Jinder, are you crazy?!) You could go with lighter tires, but after my recent experience with "racing" tires, I'd say it's not worth it!

Weight of bikes is a mysterious beast. I added nearly two pounds when I changed from rim brakes to discs. In theory, I should have been staying about the same. I added heavier discs (Avid mechs) but got "lighter" wheels. Turns out that the ACTUAL weight of my $500 Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheelset was noticeably heavier than my $140 Ritchey/XT set I'd had before. Go figure.

If your bike is 27 lbs, I'd say that's great. None of the newer 5-inch travel bikes weigh significantly less than that unless you're willing to spend ~$5000 (in spite what the reviews would have you believe - the "affordable" versions usually weigh 2 lbs more than the top end model in the review). My large 5000 is now just under 29 lbs. (With the Stratos - haven't weighed it with the new Swinger). My wife's medium 5000 is right about 27 lbs with XTR stuff, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Astro5, etc... Some days I'm jealous, but most days I just ride!

If it makes you feel better, my bro-in-law has a brand new Cannondale Prophet (remember that bike that was advertised as weighing 24lbs?). It has XTR cranks, SRAM shifters/derailleurs, Avid Juicy 7's, Mavic CrossMax SL wheels (which I covet), Carbon bars, Lefty Max "fork," Swinger Air shock, etc. Basically top or nearly top of the line everything. He paid $2600 for it - and that was from the bike shop where he used to work and still gets stuff at about 4% over cost! Guess how much it weighs? 27 lbs. Guess that's not such a bad weight after all...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jinder

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 08:38:28 am »
Excellent breakdown Matno....I really enjoyed reading that post!

I am in the process of upgrading my rims, I do have XTR hubs that I will have to say "bye bye" too.  What are good wheel sets to get that are lightweight (with hubs)?

Hmmm, time to shop once again
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 08:39:14 am by jinder »
Beast

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 12:44:25 pm »
Lots of good light wheelsets out there. Not necessarily cheap ones though. I REALLY liked my Ritchey wheels I used to have. They were cheap, light, and durable (at least with my little body on them). They outlasted my SmartShock by a couple of years! Only needed (minor) truing once in three years.

Cane Creek makes nice light wheels. American Classic has some REALLY light ones that aren't super expensive. Varying reports on their durability though. (Some swear by them, some "must have gotten a bad batch...").
I like my Bontragers. They're not super light, but you can find decent deals on used ones.

I really enjoyed building my own wheels for my road bike. You could try that route as well. Won't save you any money, but the satisfaction is there...

Alex makes cheap wheels. Up until about 2 years ago, I wouldn't have touched them with a ten foot pole (crappy quality). Now it seems like they've entered the highER end market with some decent stuff.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jinder

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 01:53:48 pm »
Cooll thanks Matno...  I guess its time to replace my old Bontragers.

I'll check those out!

what about the Shimano WH-M540?  heavy arn't they?   I love their style but they are heavier then cane creek wheels.

Or what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-RITCHEY-PRO-Z-DEEP-SECTION-ROAD-BIKE-WHEELSET_W0QQitemZ7172537294QQcategoryZ58099QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:14:28 pm by jinder »
Beast

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 03:56:51 pm »
Those Ritcheys are actually nice-looking wheels, but are you looking to buy them for your road bike?

The Shimanos DO look sweet, but yes, they are heavy. Same goes for all Shimano hubs. The XT's are about the heaviest hubs out there (compared to others of similar quality).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 04:04:46 pm by Matno »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 05:48:54 pm »
Hey guys, take a look at this site.

Oddsandendos.safeshopper.com

He has descriptions and weights for his wheels.
I used his theories to build 2 wheels allready from ebay parts. My LBS charges $25 bucks for lace ups.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jinder

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 06:30:44 pm »
Sweet FIND!  Thanks Terry!
Beast

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 10:41:10 am »
comparing Jinder's bike with yours:

I didn't want to compare his with mine. I just blamed that I feel mine is a bit too heavy.

1) your fork is at least a pound heavier than Jinder's (especially since he has that Risse air shock on there), maybe even closer to 2.

Why nearly 2 lbs? Can't be that his is under 1000 g. Of course his is lighter but I think not that much.

2) Even with the ti spring, your rear shock is going to be noticeably heavier than an Astro5. My Astro is about a POUND lighter than my SmartShock was, so figure with your setup, you're probably a couple hundred grams heavier.

The f.... smart shock is iron! But mine had 660g and now my NR with the TI spring has 410 g. A couple hundret g less would mean close to no weight. How much weights a 209mm i2i air shock? should more than 150 g lighter than mine I think.

3) Jinder's frame is much lighter. It may be a tough frame, but it can't handle anywhere near the abuse that your 5000 frame can. With your Ti upgrades, his may still weigh less WITH the shock than yours does without it...

that sounds true to me.

4) Claimed weights are often wrong. Granted, the German magazines are probably the most objective I've read, but even they may have weighed without pedals, for example. (Since most riders use their own preference in pedals, manufacturers don't include that weight). Shimano pedals are pretty heavy, no matter which model you're talking about.

How much should one add to the weight in the bike mag for peds? I'd say 350g. The claimed weights from me are all from my postal scale. So the weights should be ok. I don't believe claimed weights from manufacturers. Everytime I compare them with my postal scale I get shocked.

5) You have two bottle cages, he has one...

No at the moment I only have one carbon bottle cage, which is exactly 19 g.

6) Homemade carbon fiber parts are usually heavier than you think... Plus, you've got fenders.

Of course home mades are a bit heavier but still lighter than normal alu parts. I try to work according aircraft rules at home so my processes should be pretty ok. And I have removed the fenders to realise those meassured 27 lbs.

On the other hand, you have nice wheels and Jinder has... 36 spoke wheels?! (Jinder, are you crazy?!) You could go with lighter tires, but after my recent experience with "racing" tires, I'd say it's not worth it!

36 is too much jinder!!!!! Lighter tires are not good for me. I need traction in the Alps.

If your bike is 27 lbs, I'd say that's great. None of the newer 5-inch travel bikes weigh significantly less than that unless you're willing to spend ~$5000 (in spite what the reviews would have you believe - the "affordable" versions usually weigh 2 lbs more than the top end model in the review). My large 5000 is now just under 29 lbs. (With the Stratos - haven't weighed it with the new Swinger). My wife's medium 5000 is right about 27 lbs with XTR stuff, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Astro5, etc... Some days I'm jealous, but most days I just ride!

If it makes you feel better, my bro-in-law has a brand new Cannondale Prophet (remember that bike that was advertised as weighing 24lbs?). It has XTR cranks, SRAM shifters/derailleurs, Avid Juicy 7's, Mavic CrossMax SL wheels (which I covet), Carbon bars, Lefty Max "fork," Swinger Air shock, etc. Basically top or nearly top of the line everything. He paid $2600 for it - and that was from the bike shop where he used to work and still gets stuff at about 4% over cost! Guess how much it weighs? 27 lbs. Guess that's not such a bad weight after all...

Thank you! I really love my bike, but I still think it could be a bit lighter. Especially as I have no disc brakes. That would add some hundret g.
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"