Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:21:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Going clipless.......  (Read 3360 times)

mfgp

• Novice
  • Man, it's WAY too flat around here!
Going clipless.......
« on: April 21, 2003, 10:17:55 am »
Thinking seriously about going clipless on my 856.  A couple of bad experiences lately have led me to believe that it might be for the best - except for the crashes I see clipped in people have regularly.  At any rate, I've never heard anyone say they tried them and went back to regular pedals.  

I would like recommendations on pedals.  I've been told the Crank Brothers Egg Beaters are the way to go.  Anyone else have these pedals?  Any other brands you recommend?  

TIAM   ;D
mfgp

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
Re: Going clipless.......
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:37:00 am »
I am a die-hard Frog (Speedplay) fan.  I have also tried the eggbeaters and they are okay.  I am so used to the Frogs that I may not be giving the eggbeaters a completely fair chance.  

The Frogs put absolutely no stress on the knees.  I feel much less fatigued when riding them on long crosscountry rides.  They also hold absolutely when needed, but let go with a slight turn of the ankle.  They are also very light weight.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 11:04:46 am »
Actually, I'm going back to flat pedals this year. I am keeping one pair of Time ATACs, jsut in case, though.

If you're interested, I am selling a pair of Time Carbons... I have a set of brand new cleats, too. They've been used quite a bit, but they still work, and I'm selling cheap.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 11:30:36 am »
assuming you are an XC type rider on an xc type bike...maybe those new Time Z pedals...

i ride with SPD style for the mtn bike, "mostly" happy with that.

someone above mentioned SpeedPlay frogs....I use SpeedPlay X's on my road bike now..the Frogs would be nice too, especially if you are riding in any mud.

most of what i see are spd and Time on the trail for those clipped in.

i do have flats on my SS though cuz I motor around my neighborhood on it as well as trail...they sure bite when they hit your shins though.

Time, Frog, SPD in that order...IMHO

Joe

• Novice
Do it
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 02:04:05 pm »
You'll love 'um. I highly suggest buying those off Slowride, atacs are diehards!!! I've had eggbeaters since last spring and wouldn't go back to spuds if I didn't have to. I fell 6 times in the beaters (all within the first 2 weeks), but haven't since. Clipless give a real sense of being at one with the bike. BTW I 'light' freeride (I think!?) Doing 4-5' deaddrops at the skatepark, and staircasing etc etc etc. So my point being? good question.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 03:15:20 pm »
  I researched clipless pedals for months before an initial purchase. My main concern was un-clipping when I wanted. Most of the reviews I read focused on mud shedding and the ability to stay clipped. Based on the reviews I was seriously considering Time Atac's but there was a learing curve to un clip due to the  large amount of float. After talking to a dozen LBS's I decided to go w/ a beginner pedal the Shimano 515. Worked great. I stepped up to 545's (alum. cage) for a healthier platform and a set of multi release cleats. The only time I despise clipless in in an endo- you roll over and stay clipped in- ouch.

Tom_A.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 03:26:59 am »
A couple of suggestions for easing the transition to SPDs:

1.  Get the Shimano "multi-release" cleats...these allow release in directions other than just the simple twist.  For example, I can pull my foot out of the pedal straight up if I yank hard enough.  These cleats even work with most Non-shimano SPD-type pedals.  I'm currently using them with Girvin Mag-Tis (Wellgo...I think).

2.  Ease up on the retention force screw on the pedals all the way.  On your next rides, take the tiny allen wrench along and slowly adjust them until you JUST eliminate the majority of your unwanted releases.

I think the biggest problem people have (myself included) in getting used to SPDs is that they start out with them too tight.  With the combination above, I have literally vaulted over the bars during an endo situation and landed on my feet on the trail with the bike tumbling behind me.  I've never given a thought in that situation about having to unclip...it just happens!

Oddblob

• Novice
  • Keep your Rembrandt, true art is the 5500 frame...
    • Freeride Heaven
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 03:38:35 am »
I've tried several different types of pedals.  I started with flats, but didn't like the loss of control from sliding around on them.   So I went to SPD's.  I used them for about 15 rides but hated that they seemed to unclip at in-opportune times.   I then went to Frogs for about 3.5 years.  Loved 'em, swore by 'em, encouraged anyone who would listen to buy 'em.  Tons of float, easy in - and no unexpected exits.  The mud clearance is phenomenal!  Then, I bought my annual set of new cleats about 2 months ago.  The new cleats are a different style - cheaply cast with fewer parts - and don't work nearly as well.  Once you're in, they're fine, but its harder to clip in - and its REAL hard sometimes to tell if you're clipped in.  As my riding has evolved from trail to technical and "light" freeride, I just couldn't put up with these new shortcomings.  That, coupled with Frogs inherent problem (no platform to stand on when unclipped) prompted me to get a set of the new Time platform pedals.   I have 2 rides on the Times and am very happy.  The clip in is very solid - you always know when you're in.  The clip out is fine.  I've already had 2 nasty crashes and clipping out was not a problem.  I've had zero problems with clipping out unexpectedly. Mud clearance seems good so far, and my only complaint, which isn't really a complaint, is the reduced float.  The Time's claim they have 14-17 degrees of float - but its not really usable from a comfort standpoint.  The retention is tight enough that your feet can't freely swing back-and-forth like they do on the Frogs.  With the Frogs, they are so free-moving that the first few rides feel like you're walking on ice.  Takes some getting used to, but definitely easy on the knees!   On my first ride with the Time's I could feel the difference in strain on my legs, especially the knees.  No torn ligaments, just 'different'.  :-)  All-in-all, I like the Time's.  If Speedplay had stayed with the old cleats, I would probably still be riding them, but they didn't and I needed the extra platform anyway, so Time's it is.

-Wade
Me riding a 5500 is like Bobcat Goldthwait riding Nikki Cox.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 11:58:52 am »
top tip.

if you begin using a set of pedals you like; go out and buy two more sets.  I have 4 sets of ritchey pedals (I know, I know) that I use on all my bikes - i am so used to them that the thought of changing is not a nice one.

Also, put the cleat bolts in with a little grease.  I can promise you that they'll be a bitch to remove when you change your cycling shoes.

my gf uses the old shimano DH pedals.

callum
rdi
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

mfgp

• Novice
  • Man, it's WAY too flat around here!
Re: Going clipless.......went and did it.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 12:47:02 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  A lot of good advice.  

After reading these responses and talking to other people on the web and trail, I went down to my LBS today and rode away with a set of Shimano M324 pedals (clipless on one side and a regular cage on the other).  These will work nice because I often ride this bike down to Hooters or Friday's for a beer (or 5).  Don't want to go bar hopping wearing cleats.  The shoes I got are Shimano M020's.  Very nice for the price.  

Hit the trail today for the initiation of about 9 miles.  All went pretty well, except for at the end when I forgot I was clipped in and tipped over right before coming to a stop.  No biggie.  These things are going to be awesome.  They are a lot easier to deal with than I expected.  And they definitely help power through sand and up hills.  The trail I rode today is mostly flat and not very technical, so it was a good place to start out.  Possibly next weekend I'll be able to hit Santos over near Ocala, FL which will be the real test.

One thing I did notice is that these pedals cause me to use a different muscle group.  I'm not proud to say that my old riding technique was to place the arches of my feet directly over the shaft of the pedals.  But that's what I've done for years.  I'm also used to having trouble walking the next morning following a ride because of sore feet.  I'm guessing that won't be the case any more.  8)  

mfgp    
mfgp