Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 10:19:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65
65 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rebuild Advice: 5000  (Read 2339 times)

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
Rebuild Advice: 5000
« on: July 25, 2005, 12:14:43 pm »
Newbie questions...

Took my swingarm off my 5000 Frame last weekend to paint it (a beautiful semi-gloss black, I might add), and found some  damaged o-rings around the swingarm bushings (still whole, but deformed).  Went to the K2 site for the rebuild kit and found that it contais two major parts, quad rings, and pivot bearings.  

Based on a thread in this forum and in the frame documents on the K2 site, it looks like the o-rings are quad rings, and the main pivot bearings are the metal (aluminum?) bushings in the swingarm.  So far, so good.

So first, I don't see any easy way to get the pivot bushings out of the swingarm and I assume I have to take them out to get the quad rings in.  Documentation just says "inspect and replace as needed".  How much force shoudl it take to get the bearings out?  Any tips?  Is it time for professional help?

Second is in the swingarm itself.  There is a small rubber pad that seals the gap bridged by the pinchbolts.  One of these has come partially out of the gap and the gap, even with pinch bolt removed, isn't wide enough for me to push it back in.  Again, interested in how much force to apply (to open the gap) or other tips.

Thanks in advance. :( :(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:47:17 pm by Mechanic395 »
5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Rebuild Advice: 5000
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 05:39:26 pm »
Bill,

The quad rings just go on the contact point of the bush and the frame. The bearings do come out. See OP's 5 minute lube file for more insight. Also see in the files section the spreader bolt technique for the reinstall. McMasterr-Carr carries X-rings if you just need those. Call me if you need assistance.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 06:54:27 am »
First off Carbon or Aluminium s/arm  ???
second no you don't need to remove the bushes in the s/arm to replace the quad rings,just hook them out with a small blunt flat bladed screw driver or even using your finger,
the bushes pushed/pressed into the s/arm are not aluminium but a plastic composite,these run on a aluminium bearing insert the item you popped out to remove the s/arm,
if the bushes are ok leave them and just replace the quad rings,otherwise just prise one bush up by again using a blunt flat bladed screw driver under the bush lip,once there is a gap between to 2 bushes you can use a small drift in this gap to knock one side out then you can knock out the other one.
You can prise open the gap enough to refit the pinch bolt seal without to much trouble,
re-fitting the s/arm is the problem thats why I came up with the spreader bolt system,please read the instructions in the files section (QUAD RINGS NO PROBLEM) though I've only used this on carbon s/arms,don't think you have so much problem with the aluminium s/arm,here's a pic of the spreader bolt fitted prior to s/arm installation,

Simon.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 07:10:38 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:00:54 am »
It is carbon, so this is perfect.   [smiley=nod.gif]  Thanks to both of you.  Terry, I'll be calling you as soon as some of the parts arrive on my doorstep.  Just to round out the thread:

The bushings/bearings appear in excellent condition so I probably should have asked you guys before ordering.  Oh well, I have spare bearings now.  Simon's spreader instructions lead me to believe that reinstalling is a little tougher than taking it apart, but it sounds like you have the technique down.

So the bearings are part plastic, eh?  That explains why they weigh almost nothing.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 11:02:10 am by Mechanic395 »
5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!