Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 06:15:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63
63 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Tour De Lance  (Read 2679 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Tour De Lance
« on: July 24, 2005, 01:38:45 am »
testicular cancer, tumors scraped from your brain and lungs, sponsorships cancelled, given 6 months to live - - -

anytime things look bleak for you, just look at what a little faith, focus and hard work can do - good things can always be right around the corner.

go get 'em lance

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Tour De Lance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 05:04:56 am »
So true, I am very happy that he won. More power to him! It just show that no matter how "down" things look, that you should never give up.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 07:08:51 am »
It will be interesting to see what he will do after retirement.

And how will the tour do after his retirement.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:40:01 am »
ive been  a lance fan for years even though im a brit, he has to be the greatest cyclist ever in my eyes (merckx was kicked off the giro for apparent drug use and lance has never tested postive) ok im a roadie who happens to own a proflex and love the mtb scene but i must say lance is the best ive seen, go lance and be successful in whatever you do.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 01:53:17 pm »
I wish Lance well. I am glad he won 7 in a row after overcoming cancer. Everything he gets, he deserves. He is a great sportsman and seems to always do everything right, at least in cycling and in his public life. He is lucky that he has a VO2 max that is off the charts, that is heart pumps twice as much blood as most normal 25 year olds (and he is 33), and that his body both makes less lactic acid and gets rid of it more quickly than everybody else (they said nobody knows the reason for this), but he is the one that did the work to put all these to some use. Also, he has used his gifts and his unbelievable misfortune (and his ability to overcome it) to not only inspire others in word, but in deed. and to help all those with cancer throughout the worrld that a cancer diagnosis is not always an end. yes, we will all die, but it is what one does with the time one has that makes all the difference, and Lance has helped to show us that.

No joke, I firmly believe the guy is a great athlete, perhaps the greatest ever. He seems to be quite humble and I wish him the greatest of luck in his retirement (at 33, wow, I am in awe of him, I am nearly 50 and have no idea when I will be able to retire and I have one of the most important jobs in society - educating children.... ok, ok, I'll stop before I begin my rant.)

so why, Lance, given all your greatness as an athlete, your great sense of sportmanship and history, your willingness to help other people, didn't you stay with your wife and family? your kids need you as a Dad who will be there with them all the time.

anyway, time to calm down and go to bed so I can getup early and ride, ride, ride.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 01:55:53 pm by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

will

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 02:17:37 pm »
Spent the weekend in Austin, Texas for a family getaway and had a few minutes to reflect on this incredible feat...

Dennis, I'm with you on this. You can keep all the tough promises you make to yourself - even those huge sacrifices necessary to win the TdF - but if you can't keep the BIG one to Mrs. A... I'm no fan.

Went to school with several Olympians - same deal. TOTALLY focussed on one selfish goal, but clueless on the big things. Remarkable, but sad.

He is right about one thing, It's not about the bike.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 09:29:06 pm »
Lance was so focussed on his goals that EVERYTHING else was second fiddle.Also after the cancer it must change you,and put an incredible strain on personalities.I dont think he would have been easy to live with....
kiwi proflex rider

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 10:04:00 am »
kiwi,

the weird thing is that when he got cancer he had a girlfriend. she helped him all through the cancer therapies and everything else. he even froze semen before the removal of his testicles so that he could have children someday with this woman.

then, he beats cancer. breaks up with this woman, and gets married to someone else. then, she has his kids with the frozen semen. then, when there still really young, he breaks up with her (maybe she broke up with him, who knows) and is now dating an idiot rockstar who's 10 years older than him!!

the age is not the problem, but now he's with someone who is as focused on herself as he is on himself. how long can that last?

anyway, he's done amazing things in the other areas of his life, and no one can take that stuff away.

he is humble enough to realize that acheivement in sports is not world-changing. I mean, who remembers who won 10 chariot championships in a row back in the roman empire? however, who doesn't know who Socrates was? (yeah, I know he lived during the Greek empire, even longer ago).

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis