Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 11:18:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Please help a newbie  (Read 2960 times)

PhatBot

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Please help a newbie
« on: July 04, 2005, 11:11:48 pm »
Hi Everyone!

After too many years physical lazyness I thought I'd start doing some mountainbiking.
Thought long and hard if I should buy a new bike or a nice pre-owned bike.
Then I came across this great looking bike that I was able to purchase real cheap.
So I'm now the proud owner of a Proflex 856. (Very uncommon in Sweden where I live.)
It has a small sticker that says "Factory test" on the side. So I guess it's some sort of pre-production model. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The bike is in OK condition the only thing thats not 100% is the back shock.
It's a Noleen shock (Don't know the model). It doesn't "bounce back", missing better words for it.

So here's my question:
Can I do some maintenance on it to get the suspension function back?
or
Should I run it like it is until I can afford to get a new replacement shock?
or...

Please advice!
Thanks!

Here's a picture of the beauty  ;D

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: Please help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:32:10 am »
Nice bike! and Carbon Forks as well? very rare on the 856, possibly unknown, maybe an upgrade?

What back shock is it, any words on it?

If the shock doesn't bounce back with the spring on then the spring is knackered.
Or very soft for your weight.........which is......?
The spring should have  number on it (if it hasn't worn off) which is the rating........ what is it?
Take the shock off of the frame and remove the spring.
See if the spring is OK, no cracks or broken in two pieces!
Check the shock movement, it should compress with resistance and then can be pulled out again with resistance. If it has neither of these then the Shock has lost it's seal & oil/gas.
CVI service the shocks, but it might be cheaper to buy another one/upgrade replacement.
http://www.cvi.co.uk/shocktherapy/shocktherapy_holding.html
Unlikely that you'd be able to do much with it yourself.

What shock is on the front forks?

What did you pay for the bike? (don't have to answer this if you don't want to....)

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 10:36:49 am »
Welcome to the club, Phat. :)

Judging by the picture you provided I can tell you that you have a Noleen NR-2 coil over shock on the back. The spring looks intact.... well, it's not broken that I can see. Cracked? Maybe, but i'm sure it would break completely. If the shock doesn't "bounce back" (that's called rebound) then it might simply be a case of the spring not being heavyenough for you. Be sure to take Colin's advice about checking out the spring and shock condition FIRST. ;)

Also, just incase you're not aware of it - the little knurled knob UNDER the rear shock turns. It adjusts the REBOUND speed of the shock. If you turn it out (away from the spring) it will slow down the rebound rate. If you turn it in (towards the spring) it will speed up the rebound rate. I can't see the front shock well enough to tell you if it has the same adjustment or not. If it does have that same knob then it's also a NR-2 and can be adjusted the same was as the rear. If it doesn't have that know then it's an NR-1, with no rebound speed adjustment. [smiley=bleh.gif]

My best guess is that the shock has likely lost it's nitrogen charge. You might be able to find someone locally to re-charge it for you - or you might not. My bike came similarly equipped as yours did. Both my Noleen shocks lost their charge from lack of use. I just removed the shocks, removed the springs and cycled the shocks a few times and got really lucky - they didn't work too bad. [smiley=bleh.gif]

Then I got greedy and upgraded. Both the front and rear coil spring rates were too stiff for my scrawny butt and the shocks lacked any real adjustment, IMHO. I ended up making some adaptors after I saw what some of the guys here did. Now I run Cane Creek Cloud Nine's front and rear. [smiley=nod.gif]

You have options also. Check out the galleries (top left corner of your page) of Will, Simon, Autoduel and myself to see what kind of alternatives you have - IF you want to go that route. ;)

IIRC, there was a bike JUST like that one on E-Bay a short while ago. Is this the same bike?
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 10:56:35 am »
Shock doesn't bounce back
then as already mentioned sounds like the rebound damping adjuster is set in to slow a position,even if the nitrogen gas has leaked or by-passed the seals of the floating piston it wouldn't noticably affect the rebound speed,
alternatively the swinging arm pivot pinch bolts could be set too tight,try slackening off the 2 small allen headed pinch bolts found under the s/arm pivot points and re-try,
if you do require a shock overhaul then CVI here in the UK would be your best bet,home maintainance is not an option,your dealing with in excess of 200psi within one of these units.
Simon.
Ps looks a nice bike though  [smiley=nod.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

PhatBot

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 11:29:32 am »
Thanks for the fast replies and warm welcome. Makes me feel I choose the right bike  ;D

Rebound was the word I looked for. Thanks Frankd.
I weight 88kg (194lbs).
I payed roughly $200 for it. (Give or take a few $ depending on exchange rate.)
Don't think it has been on ebay. It had been sitting in this guy's garage for the last 2 years until I came to the rescue.

Unfortunately I havn't had time to take the bike apart yet.
You'll have to do with these close up's for the time being  ;)

Backshock:

8 MPixel original here:
http://phatbot.com/images/proflex_856_backshock_large.jpg
Backshock closeup:

8 MPixel original here:
http://phatbot.com/images/proflex_856_backshock_closeup_large.jpg
Frontshock:

8 MPixel original here:
http://phatbot.com/images/proflex_856_frontshock_large.jpg

So both shocks are NR-2's then I guess.
As you can see from the close up of the backshock, markings on the spring says NBP300 or something like that.
Havn't got that slightest clue what these markings mean but if I read this table correctly http://idriders.com/proflex/resources/99spring_chart.pdf it should fit people not weighing more than 200lbs, right?

The backspring seems to work fine, it just takes forever until it it returns to it's original height.
Gonna take the bike apart, clean it and adjust it according to your advice as soon as possible. I'm getting really anxious to try this baby out in the woods.

Thanks a million :)

BTW... Did anyone have an idea what the "Factory test" stickers meant?

jinder

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 12:01:02 pm »
Congrats and WELCOME!

Dude, that is one NICE bike!!   [smiley=nod.gif]

Yes, the Factory test models were giving to dealers to be used as a "try me out" bike.  I rented a "Factory Test" 856 3 or 4 times until I finally HAD to buy one...the dealer gave me a good deal on the Factory Model...so I bought it - but it got stole only after 3 weeks!!!  Can you believe that???? [smiley=worry.gif]

If you got some extra cash around you could upgrade to Risse Air shocks - http://www.risseracing.com/  

Once again, NICE BIKE - looks awesome!   I love the Carbon Forks on that 856 frame!

Here is a photo of me and my Factory Test 856 back in 1997 - ahhh, those were the days!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 12:27:25 pm by jinder »
Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 05:43:26 pm »
the front forks are probably a upgrade cos they look very similar to the 97 girvins i got to put on my 756,perhaps a warranty upgrade???
kiwi proflex rider

jinder

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 11:51:57 pm »
Yes, they have to be a upgrade for sure.
Beast

PhatBot

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 08:47:03 pm »
Again, thanks for all the feedback. :)

Nice looking bike there jinder. Too bad it got stolen. :(

I did as suggested and adjusted the rebound speed slightly. Now it seems to work like it should. Hopefully they'll work until I get a chance to upgrade.
The Risse Racing shocks looks interesting. Cheapest one costs about the same that I paid for the entire bike  :o hehehe

If I were to upgrade. Should I stay with the front fork and just upgrade the shock or would it be more cost efficient to get an all new "normal" fork? A Rock Shox, Marzocchi or something similar. They don't looks half as cool as my Girvin but they might be a better alternative?

Still havn't taken the bike apart for maintenance. Having too much fun riding it ;)