Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 01:56:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24
24 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Pretty disc adaptor on a 5000...  (Read 3272 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Pretty disc adaptor on a 5000...
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:56:17 am »
Never seen one like this, but it looks great!

The frame is currently on eBay, and according to the description, it's: "been modified to accomodate disc brakes.  I attached a suitably machined piece of aluminum to the original dropout and wrapped it with fiberglass.  It has made a very reliable and sturdy mount for my Shimano XT disc brakes for several years with no problems at all."

Smooth. Very smooth.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

bikendan

• Journeyman
Re: Pretty disc adaptor on a 5000...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:46:22 pm »
matno, where on ebay is it? i did a search and only found a large carbon without that adapter.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 12:02:24 am »
Right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98083&item=7164201404&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

He's selling the Stratos Helix Expert separately, but it's not a "Proflex-specific" one. In fact, if you look closely at his frame, it's got a pretty good sized chunk cut out to make the shock fit...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 09:42:31 am »
I asked the guy what the marking on the frame was that Matno was referring to.  His response was, "I had to make a new mounting hole for the top shock mount (just below the original one) and I had to grind down the lower mount a bit to make the coil spring fit."
I wonder about the resulting integrity of the upper shock mount.  Granted, all the forces generated by the swingarm are directed upward away from the hole
but I have reservations about making things into swiss cheese...but I'm thinking about it as a project anyhow.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 09:44:07 am by Shaggy »

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 10:57:26 am »
Shaggy. It looks like a good deal only prob is that I was looking at it aswell. Don't worry I don't plan on having a price war with anyone on this forum. All I wantted on the frame was the swingarm so I can fit discs on my 4500. I can always make the mod myself but if you don't need the swingarm I'll be happy to buy it from you at half the price of the winning bid. That is if you win.
The Stratos shock is what I really want.

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 12:29:32 pm »
Now that isn't unusual. The prices just skyrocketed. I guess I'm stuck with my old swingarm and the stock Noleen.

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 12:11:37 am »
I liked that adaptor as well...
I thought about it some more, and had a couple more questions for the guy after his first reply.  Since he made a new mounting location for the shock, I was curious as to what bolts he was using.  He said he had bolts that would work, but the originals were broken or worn.  I took that as I would need to get new bolts.
With that answer, I got to thinking about if the upper mount was still usable...he never got back to me on that one.
In the end, it was more than I wanted to spend considering the bolt situation and getting a new hanger.  
Plus my girlfriend says that I have enough bikes...but that's only her opinion.

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 01:36:33 am »
That was alote expensivo. I guess it comes down to how bad your desire is for it.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 03:43:50 am »
Looks like my new friend Bill Johnson wanted it. Looking forward to seeing it. I will have to see that adapter up close.

I turned him on to this forum and good things happen. Congrats Bill!

Welcome to the club.
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
on the hillsRe: Pretty disc adaptor on a 5000...
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 08:32:41 am »
 :) Hi everyone!  Thanks for the intro, Terry.  The frame arrived yesterday, just after Terry proved that I only think I'm in pretty good shape on the hills. :-[  

Since it seemed to be of interest, here are some extreme close-ups of the disc mounts.  Looks great on the outside. The inner side is  little rougher.  Not really sure why the fiblerglass wrap in the first place.  The pink is where I picked a crack with my fingernail.  I assuume it's resin?

BTW, I also bought the Stratos Helix Expert the guy had mated to the 5000.  He bolted the shock back on the frame, lubed everything and threw in a few misc parts.  That mod to the upper mount is a bit scary, but there is no deformation of the metal, so I'll just have to ride it and see what happens.  

The information in the forum is great and I look forward to your advice while I build my 5000!

- Bill

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 11:12:01 am by Mechanic395 »
5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 12:32:53 pm »
Yikes. That looks like red lube oozing out from in between the shock bushings and bearings. If so, that's not good. I'd recommend taking it apart and cleaning it out as well as possible. Those surfaces are designed to rub smoothly together without grease, and the grease just attracts dirt and grit that can damage the surfaces. Just a thought...

Other than that, it looks pretty sweet. I've never heard of modifications to the frame failing, so I doubt you'll have a problem with it. Besides, the forces are still mostly directed toward the frame, so it should be fine...

Enjoy!

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 01:08:15 pm »
nice purchase, bill!  why the new shock mount hole on the frame?  is that shock that much shorter, or did the guy want a higher bb?  let us know how you like the setup...  i'm building my bike up again could use any info on improvements!
.........................anthony.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals

Mechanic395

• Novice
  • Smile...
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 03:21:26 am »
From what I read, this shock is 200mm, which would make it about 1/2" shorter than the original.  Based on what I've seen on this forum, fabricating a 1/2" adapter would have been a better solution, but the shock position is the same so I'm guiesing it shouldn't make any difference for performance (travel, etc.).

5K Large with Monkey Lite, Deore RapidFires, LX Crankset, XT r. Der., LX f. Der., Avid brakes, Stratos Helix Exp., Mavic rims, SRAM 990 cass. & chain.  29 lbs. on bathroom scale!

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
why the new shock mount hole on the frame?

Normally, if you order a Proflex-specific Stratos Helix shock, it would fit the other way around. THat shock was not specifically designed for the K2 frame. If it were, the end with the air valve would be replaced with one that is about 1/2" longer to fit up inside the frame. (It would also have an air valve that sticks straight out at a 90 degree angle). Stratos can actually make the change for you (just ask for the Proflex "neck"), but it will cost about $65. On the other hand, the completely rebuild the shock at the same time, so not a terrible deal. That's what I did with mine. However, mine started out at 7 3/8", so it still ended up shorter than stock.

I've just recently begun to notice that I smack my pedals more than I like to with that lower setup. (Doing more technical riding I guess).  Doesn't happen quite as much with my 8.25" Risse. Next time, I'd go for a little longer and run extra sag (maybe). I do like the stable feeling my bike has though...