Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 12:23:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
47 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Ozzy Maverick  (Read 3068 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Ozzy Maverick
« on: June 26, 2005, 10:54:22 am »
Yahoo!

Project maverick is complete, but not without it's quirks. This fork will not accept any disk brake, and has prematurely forced me to intall the 185 Avid machanical.

Initial ride revealed that it needs quite a breaking in as it feels sticky. A relube may be in the works. The lockdown engagement works as described but again the compression damping is heavy. Not really a problem as there is no bobbing at all.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 10:57:43 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Ozzy Maverick
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:32:19 am »
Does anyone have any wash cloths or paper towels I can borrow? I just drooled all over my desk! That bike is a thing of beauty. I've wanted one of those Maverick forks ever since they came out. (Even if it IS a dual crown fork!)

And that rear shock adaptor... I'm going to seriously consider making something like that!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:56:26 pm »
holy crap! I think I just sh*t in my pants!

now that's the way an Oz should look. Terry, that bike is awesome!!

I am now officially envious of another man's Oz. Should I be ashamed?

on a more serious note, Terry, does the Maverick fork raise the front end of your bike appreciably relative to a crosslink or say, a 3-4" travel slider fork?

again, that bike is really cool.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 04:45:42 pm »
Wow that is one Fork I would scrap my crappy crosslinks for. I only say that because they look so good on the OZ. Nice job shovelon. I heard the forks can only be fitted with hope hydraulic brakes, is that true? I am also curious about the head angle aswell.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 04:46:32 pm by I_2_ionit »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:46:57 pm »
Hey, thanks  ;D ;D

Dennis,

The front end is raised more than a 3 to 4 inch travel fork, certainly more than my smartlinks was. But actually is not taller felling than my Psylo in 5 inch setting. The geometry feels great for me. For climbing, the fork locks out about 1.5 to 2 inches below topout. What I had not factored in was the 1 inch of sag recommended. However once the lockout is thrown there is no bobbing period as the air spring is loaded when the fork stays compressed.

Ionit,

The head angle is about the same as that with most 5 inch travel forks provide I reckon. That is why I had put on the Psylo as the head angle was too tight for me. The Psylo served me well in that way.

Right away I found that my magura Julie would'nt mount up as the plunger housing hit the fork brake mount. I was considering the Avid anyway so I got it. If the Hope fits, cool! I have not looked any farther than the Avid.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 02:41:24 am »
Man that configurationis Ozsome!  If I didn't know any better I would say that I was looking at some new '06 prototype.  It looks as if the frame and fork were designed together.  There may be another iteration of my Oz in the works.  I hope that it rides as good as it looks,  and if it doesn't, who cares--it is badass...

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 03:03:31 am »
By the way, how much did the Maverick fork run you? I know they're on the pricey side, but was wondering if maybe they've come down a bit now that they've been out for a couple of years...

BTW, you still need a rear disc brake! (That fiberglass adaptor I posted recently would look fantastic on your frame...)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:04:50 am by Matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 04:01:21 am »
Awesome Terry,very very nice,
one thing, if god forbid you had a stack can the forks rotate enough to clobber the frame ???
hate to see any damage occur,when I ran some 4" travel triple clamp carbon Pace forks I had to fit rubber protectors between the upper clamps just for that reason.
actually another thing have you reduced the overall weight of your Oz,I'm lead to beleive that those forks are very light ???
again awesome.
Simon.
P.s the Whyte 46 bike comes standard with the Maverick fork (I understand the respective designers have a great deal of respect for each other) and runs a Hope mono M4 disc brake if thats of any use to you.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:48:51 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 12:23:11 pm »
Matno,

The fork and hub set me back $849 US from GearGurl. The disk on the rear is on the back burner for now. I still really like my avid V brake.

Simon,

Yes, I lost some weight. The '05 Maverick is 1780 grams, and the hub is 246 grams. My Psylo was 1896 grams, and the hub and skewer was 200 grams. Roughly 40 grams lost, but a gain in travel to 6 inches. My bike now weighs in somewhere between 26 and 26.5 lbs on the bathroom scale.

The Hope brake looks like a nice option for a hydrualic. The Avid mechanical works pretty neet so far.

The Whyte bike looks killer with the Maverick. I think they made a wise move to go with it.

Gotta ride, seeya,

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 07:41:40 am »
if you get a 8.5 i2i swinger 4 way for the rear. that put you at 6 in the front and 7.5 in the back

lots of travel for lots of fun !!!
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 05:11:52 pm »
Mr Ed,

I do have a Swinger 4. It's a coil, and weighs lots.I will  try it soon to see how it  goes, but I like the feel of the one I got pretty good.

Simon, rubber bumpers came with the forks. I rode today and determined the best location for them.  I put them on tonight. The ride is getting smoother, and I reduced the air pressure to 100 psi.

Ok, that 185 disk brake is REALLY grabby. Almost pitched me over the bars, figure I need to move center of gravity rearward. That means I need to add some pressure to the shock to stiffen. Don't need to end up on my face. Ho Hum.

So far, so good.
Off to bed,
Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS