Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:21:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 26
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 856 Suspension Upgrades  (Read 2409 times)

randy_page

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
856 Suspension Upgrades
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:48:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have an 856 which I bought new, but haven’t ridden in a few years.  I am currently trying to get the bike back into shape, and am experiencing the classic issues with the elastomers.   By sheer luck, I happened to find 3 new elastomers at my local REI, and have been boiling/microwaving/melting the 4 original rocks/elastomers to make a 4th.   Anyway, long story short, I am looking to make a few upgrades.   The way I see it I have a couple of options:

1) Replace the front and rear ODS with Risse air shocks.
2) Replace the entire front fork with something more “modern” such as a Rock Shox, and replace the rear ODS with a Risse or Stratos.
3) Toss the whole old bugger in the trash and buy a new bike….Naaaaa…to me it’s too much of a classic.

I really like this bike, but have never been happy with the elastomers from day one (way too stiff.)  So, replacing them is a must.   I’m more of an XC guy, and do very little down-hilling (but hope to do more.)   Another thing to consider is that I would like to upgrade to disc brakes front/rear in the near future.

So, I’m way open to advice, particularly with the selection of a new front fork.   I have seen a few new/old Noleens showing up on eBay lately (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36135&item=7161394287&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) which are always an option, but I don’t want to be chasing parts when they break in the future.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy
Raleigh, NC

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: 856 Suspension Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 02:51:11 am »
If you really like the bike, then I'd definitely go with choice number 2.

You can get a really nice fork (better than the X-link) for the same price (or even less) than a new Risse Genesis on the front (which I've heard isn't the greatest). Then get a Risse Astro or Stratos Helix on the rear (I've got one of each on my 5000, and they both work great - probably prefer the Risse for pure XC riding). The one downside is that neither Risse nor Stratos seem to have much, if any customer service any more. Fortunately, their stuff usually works fine.

Stay away from all things that say "Noleen" on them. That's the voice of experience (not just mine) speaking.

As for disc brake upgrades, you can do it easily if you get a new fork with disc mounts - on the front that is. There are lots of options for a rear mount. Mostly that includes getting a HammerHead from RDI (see links) or making your own. Look through the galleries to get some ideas of what you can make/buy. I've got a homemade one on my 5000 (pic in my gallery).

Good luck!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: 856 Suspension Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 04:55:28 am »
Good discussion,

I believe that I have seen in the past that crosslinks and vector forks have a different geometry. From what  I remember reading is that the older vector forks have less travel (2 inches?) and a pronouced  J-path. My crosslinks with smartshock boasts 3 inches of travel with a smaller J-path. I have both and the crosslinks with smartshock is hugely better.

From what I remember the redesign took place in 1998.

Does what I remember make pan out? What is the real travel of the vectors?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Randy Page

Re: 856 Suspension UpgradesHA1R
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:54:13 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.   To start off with, I thought you might get a kick out of seeing what happens if you over-boil an elastomer:

HA!  I also found out that white lithium grease melts them!   The one in the photo actually looked pretty promising until I installed it into the ODS....I weigh close to 200lbs, and haven't applied my ass to it yet....I imagine a pancake after that!

I think I am going to go with a RockShox Duke XC up front, and a Stratos in the rear.   That should give me a pretty good combination for my style.   I also emailed Callum at Rapid Descent about disc brakes.   Being a motor head at heart, disc brakes are a must for me...I'm still trying to figure out how to install them on my John Deere!

One question though.  When I order my fork, is there anything special I should ask for?   I am a DIY kind of guy, but want to make sure it's going to fit correctly without too much modification.

Thanks!

Randy

PS

For those of you searching for a replacement for your elastomers, Rapid Descent will soon be releasing a new spring product as an alternative (http://www.proflex.demon.co.uk/)