Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 09:20:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56
56 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Gonna try tele's - suggestions?  (Read 2931 times)

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Gonna try tele's - suggestions?
« on: June 02, 2005, 01:26:22 pm »
Hey all! How's it going? Hopefully you're all tired from frequenting your favourite trail(s).

So, as the title says - i've decided i'm going to purchase a pair of telescopic forks.

:o

No, it's not April 1st. [smiley=laughing.gif]

I want something with V brake posts and a disc mount. Obvious reasons there and i'm quite adamant on that. I'm not 100% convinced to go disc just yet, but I want the option without the fabrication.

So, what i'd like to know is what you recommend. I've got the C9 on the back, which is an all air shock with rebound and compression damping and the RCA feature (NOT a lock out). Right now i'm running the 1.5" stroke version which yields 4.5" rwt. I can always throw the 2" stroke version on and get 6" rwt and adjust the ride height to keep the frame geometry correct (more or less). Not that I want this much, but i'm throwing it out there as an option.

My first thought is to match this with an air shock of similar travel and options. My first pick is Manitou's Minute 2:00. Air, adjustable compression and rebound damping (I gotta have the adjustability), V and disc mounts. And it's light (not a priority). Comes in either a 100 or 130 mm travel (either is fixed, not adjustable). Sounds like a winner to me.

So, comments? Suggestions? Gimme! Maybe you don't think air is the way to go, despite the rear shock? I wanna hear it. It's been a while since i've been on tele's and there have been improvements since my Mag21 and Quadra days and I feel I need to give the newest in "technology" a chance.

PATIA!

Oh, i'm trying to keep the price below $500-500 U.S. No Fox shocks or other $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ shocks please. I'm looking for something that I don't have to rebuild every three months either.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Gonna try tele's - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:44:24 am »
I'm a big fan of Manitou shocks. As long as they have the TPC + damping (the "+" is the important part). My very favorite shock - the Cannondale Lefty - licenses this technology now because it's the best.

HOWEVER, as much as I like stable platform valving (SPV) on the rear shock, I don't like it in the front. My buddies who got it on this year's bikes are switching back to the non-SPV versions because it's not plush enough. Unless you do a lot of standing/leaning over the handlebars power cranking, you won't notice much bobbing from the front end of any bike anyway. At least not the way you would in the back. I'd rather have a smooth ride in the front. The rear is where I can sacrifice for a little efficiency.

I'm still using a 2001 Manitou X-vert with TPC+ damping, and it works nearly as perfectly as anything I've tried more recently. (I'd probably go with 5" now - 4" is a good balance for most riding though).

Heck, you can pick up a used X-vert on Ebay for dirt cheap (under $150 easily). The Manitou Black with its reverse arch is nice too, but for some reason, Manitou stopped using TPC+ for the first couple of years that it was out. They soon realized the error of their ways and went back to what works. Just something to watch out for if you're looking at used forks...

Oh, and I DO like air shocks (even though I don't have one now). The adjustability is great. Newer air forks are pretty darn reliable too, and they don't have the problems with stiction that they used to.

Dang, I wish I could afford a Lefty (and custom fit it to my bike!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:24:51 am »
Thanks Matno.

Another member here fells the same way about SPV on the front. I've been talking with him and i'm undecided about it. I just gotta try it first, I guess.

TPC+ is only available now on 2 DH-specific models, so that's out (for the current line up). When it comes to my riding I often do come off the saddle, but usually only when there's something coming up that might un-seat me. I'll pop the front wheel over it and let the rear suspension do it's job. If it's big then it's bunny-hop time.

While I have been looking on E-Bay also, i'm leary of going that route, especially with an early-century fork. I'm worried about "support" (NOT warranty) from manufacturers ~> still being able to find bushings.

Can you still find bushings for forks as early as '00/'01??????

Funny you mentioned the X-Vert. I think dual crown forks look neat and i've seen several of them on E-Bay. Tempting. Same goes with Noleen's Chubby LT.

One thing can be said for sure - if I went the E-Bay route I could probably buy two for what i'd pay for one new one and simply keep the one I like more and then sell the other. (kinda like I did with my seat)

Lefty - Aye mayties, shiver me timbers I only got one leg. Arrrrg. (sorry, I just HAD to)

It used to be easy to pick a fork. Buy RS or Marzocchi if you want air. Buy a Manitou if you want elastomers. Buy an RST if you're broke. It ain't easy anymore.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 04:02:01 am »
Aaah! Stay away from dual crown X-verts. They are NOT the same as the 2000/01 single crown X-verts, do not have TPC+, and are basically a heavy, short travel equivalent of lower end Manitous from 2000 on... The DC X-verts were made before 2000, and in my opinion, any suspension component made before 2000 is crap - no matter who made it.

Didn't realize TPC+ had given way to SPV entirely in the XC line-up. Pity. It's much better, IMHO. I'm no racer, but then, neither are most trail riders...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 10:54:36 am »
Oh, i'm trying to keep the price below $500-500 U.S. No Fox shocks or other $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ shocks please. I'm looking for something that I don't have to rebuild every three months either.

sorry, but I can't help but recommend Fox shocks, bulletproof, plush (I have the TALAS shock), and haven't leaked in over two years. I set 'em up and forgot about 'em. They just plain work.

I also have Marzocchi Marathon SL's on my hardtail. another nice shock, but not quite as nice as the Fox on the Oz. I would recommend doing an ebay buy and getting Fox.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 08:35:39 pm »
Rockshox Psylo's (SL's) from 03 onwards are a good option
good fork and value,plus you get all the usual adjustments plus the externally adjustable travel option.
Marzocchi always produce excellent value and bombproof forks,the Marathon SL (03 model) was
very highly rated,85/105mm travel air sprung oil damped,plus the ECC option,not the lightest fork but that wasn't a concern of yours,
I would recommend some Pace options but I'm not
sure of there availability over the pond,pity,
using ebay you should be able to pick up an excellent fork well within your budget,
Simon.
here's some review pages that may interest you,there's many pages so you should find a review that will help.
http://www.bikemagic.com/review/reviewcategory.asp?rcn=50&rgn=2&ob=p.Brand,p.Name&oborder=asc&SP=&v=1&CP=1
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 08:46:16 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 10:45:43 am »
Ah, y'all got me! While I wasn't intending on using E-Bay as a purchase option I think it would probably be in my best interest (getting broke, as in money).

Thank you all for your recomendations. I appreciate it!

Fox - my research isn't complete with these guys. I've been reading some sketchy things on forums and i'm waiting to see what comes of this year's line up.

RS - I like the Pilot SL actually. Meets all my needs very nicely. The Motion Control stuff (especially the Pop Loc feature) seems interesting. I'm trying to find out more about support longevity. It appears that RS doesn't support products that are more than 2 years old. Very not-liking-that!

Marzocchi - the Marathon SL and AM1 seem to be the most raved about. I'll be researching more about them tomorrow - while it's raining.[smiley=disbelief.gif]

Matno - i'm no racer either. But that doesn't mean I can't pretend. [smiley=laughing.gif]

Dennis - I found one Fox on E-Bay up here in Canada in the past 2 weeks. '03 TALAS - no V brake posts, though. :(

Simon - i've been doing just that. Scouring the 'Net, reading Reviews and asking Q's. Pace isn't readily available over here. Yes, agreed, pity.

Thanks so far guys. Appreciated muchly.

Oh, and just in case anyone has a tele that meets my needs that they want to get rid of.... P.M. me. You never know.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 02:43:23 pm »
It appears that RS doesn't support products that are more than 2 years old. Very not-liking-that!

I think you'll find similar problems with most other suspension manufacturers. Suspension designs just change a lot, and they want you to upgrade. I had a devil of a time finding a manual for the Manitou fork on my single speed (it's an OEM fork - with features combined from more than one fork in the "regular" line-up). Never got any responses from Manitou. Grrr.

On the other hand, my buddy who's a Cannondale dealer swears by their customer service. The Lefty is the ONLY fork that can be rebuilt completely. In other words, if they rebuild your 5 year old Lefty, it will be as smooth and flawless as it was when it was brand new. No worry about bushing wear or stanchion slop. If only they had a normal steerer tube size. (And didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy separately).

I've heard nothing but praise for Fox Forx. I happen to know that their customer service is great. They replied to my questions via email within 30 minutes! Nice.