Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:21:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Heat Stroke, Helmet Broke, Rider's a Jamoke  (Read 2355 times)

will

Heat Stroke, Helmet Broke, Rider's a Jamoke
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:56:32 am »
Duh... summer has arrived. How do I know?
Let me count the ways...

Snuck in a Friday afternoon ride last week and managed to get totally whacked out after only 10 miles on the trails.

There were plenty of warning signs like disorientation, loss of thirst, nausea but I ignored them 'cuz I was riding below my fitness level. It was only 90 degrees (30C) and very humid, but nothing too unusual here in Texas.

Anyhow, after stopping to puke at the top of a climb I went rocketing down the other side and have no idea what happened next. I do recall a lovely over-the-bars swan dive and a crunching sound from my new helmet. It was actually kind of funny watching my bike go cartwheeling by after I came to a stop.

Still a little sore today. Not really, my shoulder hurts like hades. But all in all, no big deal.

Most importantly, the bike is perfectly fine. Turns out I had WAY too much air in my Bomber fork. By the time I figured that out on the ride, I was already confused and making bad decisions. "It'll be fine, just let me get through that next climb and then I'll let some air out..." Anyhow, I didn't fix it and paid the price. THUMP!

Please guys, wear helmets (I'm sure you do.) and take it easy in the heat! (I'm sure you won't.)

TTFN,

Will

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
Re: Heat Stroke, Helmet Broke, Rider's a Jamoke
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:40:00 am »
 :o crikey!

hope you are alright now!  - it never gets to 30'C here in scotland.  The problem we have here is the temperature changes.  It can suddenly cool down by 10'C whilst you are out riding!

callum
rd/s
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast