Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 05:20:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: chain guide/tensioner for my 3000  (Read 2838 times)

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
chain guide/tensioner for my 3000
« on: May 21, 2005, 04:33:33 am »
Is there anything out there like this or am I going to have to make this, too?

I don't like the chain slapping around all over the place and i'd like to know what I can do about it. I remember from years ago that there was a bracket and spring that you could buy to mount from the rear drop-out to the end of the rear derailleur, but I don't think they exist anymore. Even if they do i'm not sure it would be enough.

Any ideas? I'm finding that the bracket and spring would probably be my only option given the geometry I have to work with. (not complaining, just stating the case)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: chain guide/tensioner for my 3000
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 08:00:56 am »
I had  one of those on my 97 beast. It worked good. It slipped into the skewer hole and you rotated it backwards for tension. The lower part of the arm had a hole for the spring that mated to a hole in the lower part of the derailer free wheel cage with a hole that you had to drill.

The only issue I had was that the arm did not track with the derailer. So ghost shifts may be in the works. But I could not confirm as a hub failure  trashed the whole works by then. I will check my junk pile for it.

So a hinging bracket would allow for some tracking. Am I making sense? Or sensing a make.

Andrew, machine one up for me eh?  
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 11:26:27 am »
Am I making sense? Or sensing a make.

Andrew, machine one up for me eh?  
Terry

Star Wars someone did see, hmmmm? Fan to Yoda, yes? [smiley=laughing.gif]

Sensing a make would be the operative word, Terry. Now that you mention it something like that wouldn't track worth beans. Setting the tension for one range of gears would result in possibly too much or too little in the other area.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if it would make any more sense to have something protrude towards the front and simply support the chain. Between the rear derailleur and the (lower portion of the) chain rings. .....?  :-/
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Natas

• Novice
    • My pictures
He who dies with the most toys.....................................still dies

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 08:31:03 am »
Holy mackeral! :o Look at em all! Thanks. I'll have to do some studying - it appears i'm venturing into DH territory here.

Certainly got a few ideas running inside the noggin now!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 09:06:48 am »
Here's a
link page to DMR's various chain devices,
http://www.dmrbikes.com/prducts.html
Sprucey has a nice one in his online store
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fDMR%2dReactorel%2ehtml

Simon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:12:24 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 09:36:03 am »
It seems that nearly everything i'm seeing is geared (pun not intended) towards either DH or SS bikes. ::)  

Except this..... http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=14858... which could work quite nicely. Guess i'll have to make this, too. The clamp doesn't look like it's big enough to be modified to fit Frank's "large" chainstay. And this unit has some float, so it can be used on most/all gears.

(walks out to garage with vernier in hand)

Well, it a LOT easier than building supercharged engines and re-building rear-ends for cars. [smiley=laughing.gif] Cheaper, too. [smiley=nod.gif] ;)

Thanks guys!!! Some great suggestions. I'm going to be using a couple of ideas I picked up in your links to make this an ideal piece.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:40:02 am »
AHHHH the one pictured is for use with triple chain rings,infact they do a couple of models along these lines,just thought I'd mention it incase you thought they are SS only,one model is marked up XC and uses
a floating tensioner wheel (from side to side)
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 10:14:38 am »
(walks back in from garage)

Well, aren't I dumb? I went out to measure things up and use my radius gauge set to make sure I can get some accurate numbers. Then I stop and look at what i'm doing. Then I look at what's REALLY happening. Boy, i'm dumb. Like one brick short of a house.

A tensioner will help if I needed it, but I don't. It's not the lower portion of the chain that's the problem - it's the upper. Call it the "drive side", if you will. A tensioner isn't gonna help there. I couldn't make one even if I wanted to (can't have anything "in the way" between the chainrings and cassette, kinda wouldn't work too good). The underside of the chainstay has some small scratches where the problem is occuring.

So, this looks like a job for Lizard Skin chainstay protectors. Might as well pick up a couple for the Cloud Nine's while i'm at it.

So, yeah, don't I suddenly feel as dumb as I read? [smiley=disbelief.gif] Man, what an embaressing thread. ::)

BAH! I didn't feel like building anything right now anyways. Been too busy riding. [smiley=nod.gif] ;)
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 10:29:38 am »
AHHHHHHHHHHH
and I've spent ages looking for something suitable ;)
[smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]
Simon.