Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 05:20:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20
20 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: if I were to buy a brand new 757, how would I...  (Read 2678 times)

m8o

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
if I were to buy a brand new 757, how would I...
« on: April 24, 2005, 05:44:07 pm »
Hello folks.  Nice to meet you all.  Just joined.  As you can see from my title of this post, I don't have a ProFlex yet; but I joined in anticipation of owning one.  Could some help with a question or two first however?

I was shopping all the nearby bike stores for a Mtn bike for my wife; she recently showed a great deal of interest in joining me on XC rides much to my delight, so we were looking for a bike for her.  So, I was in a store that didn't have anything to offer her, but I saw a brand new unused (I do not just) Proflex 757 hanging there with a "Last One" sign and a price under $900.  When I saw it I litterally said "Wow", and was immediately googley-eyed and smiling.  I ride a 2003 GT i-Drive 1.0 with a number of upgrades now.  I was thinking of getting this as well.

So two questions.  

1) I see a lot of discussion about 85x and Oz and other ProFlex bikes, but not the 75x.  Is it advisable I try to get one of them even though it's sure they'll be used as opposed to an unused 757? ... and why?  Is the 757 light or are the 85x and Oz much lighter [or stronger?] and that's why I see more talk about them?

2) Bigest question/concern I have is the performance and reliability of the elastomers (sp?), a.k.a marshmallows I see ;) ...

- Is there a way to upgrade them to modern suspension components and what components would I use?  ...

- I did a search and saw the "Upgrading a 754 Gen 5" thread and noted there was no conclusion as to what "modrun" suspension components could be used, so that's why I'm asking here...

- I've read about the rear "blowing out" immediately after owning it from some reviews on MTBReview.com (reviewers luv the bikes), and having it fixed immediately under warranty ... but that was in the 90's; I don't expect there's any warranty support anymore ;D.

- I saw the pictures in the gallery of the elastomers melted away ... I know my garage gets hot in the summer so could see that happening to me too ... how would I replace them if there isn't modrun suspension I could upgrade it to?  

(oh, I sure hope there is 'cus then I'm definitely getting it! ... if the size is right that is ; i forgot to check the size of the bike if you can belive it! )

Informed responses encouraged and much appreciated.  

Best Regards,
steve
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 05:48:01 pm by m8o »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: if I were to buy a brand new 757, how would I.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:03:03 pm »
the 75x and 85x share the same frame,the main difference was the quality of components.The 757 had noleen shocks front and rear and an aluminium swingarm,the 857 had a carbon fibre swingarm prolly had a nr2 in the rear and more xt level components.The crosslink was the same again except for the shock,the 7 prolly had the nr1 while the 857 prolly had the nr2.

kiwi proflex rider

m8o

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 03:23:47 am »
Thanx for the reply.  I see today didn't look carefully enough to the search results.  There's a link to here that I missed that addresses much of my concerns:

http://www.risseracing.com/applications/proflex.htm

Question ... I found an article on creating disc brake adapters on this board.  Does anyone know of someone who manufactures them ready-made ... or is there anyone here who would make me a set for an stock aluminum 757 @ a fair price?

thanx,
Steve

jinder

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 04:34:00 am »

I almost bought a 756 back in 96.  Looking at the 757 brings back good memories.
Beast

m8o

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 07:21:55 am »

...actually, I'm not sure if it's a 757 ... it has the "colors" of the 757, but has the name "Reptile" on the side.  And elastomer suspension, not "coil-over".  So what year would you say this is from?  Do you think it's worth $875?  

Thanx for your help,
Steve

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:29:58 am »

...actually, I'm not sure if it's a 757 ... it has the "colors" of the 757, but has the name "Reptile" on the side.  And elastomer suspension, not "coil-over".  So what year would you say this is from?  Do you think it's worth $875?  

Thanx for your help,
Steve

As I'm in the UK I'm unsure about the value but even so I think the asking price is very high,the Reptile is old and very basic compared to even similiar age higher end Proflex models,the Reptile has very basic elastomer suspension and a Cromo s/arm,its design is more in keeping with previous 93 models,having said that if you can get it for the right price I'm sure it would be ideal,but as I said I'm not sure what a good value price would be in the U.S
Simon.  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:43:03 am »

Thanx for your help,
Steve

$875 is too high for a  bike that old.  You should get a newer bike with replacement parts that are readily available.  Checkout Supergo for some pricing:

http://www.supergo.com/itemlist.cfm?lsubcat_id=7&lcat_id=7604

m8o

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 03:54:36 pm »
thanx all for the thoughts.  I think I'll have to pass on this.  [smiley=depressed.gif]  If it was what I first thought it was, a 757, I would have made the plunge.