Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:28:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 7.875 rear and 5 inch fork  (Read 5219 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: 7.875 rear and 5 inch fork
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 07:40:15 am »
Swissnic,

Great price on that 4Way, you are going to love it. I have 2 now and I really like them. I am looking for the Swinger Air 4Way however in 8.5 i2i. Prices are really droping.

Mr. Ed,  you are right, I have'nt done the John Holmes comp yet, but  my Oz gets about 5 inches. With my front end getting 5 inches, it is a good match.  The adapter is made of 6061 and uses a pinch bolt at the shock, with a sleeve to take up slack. The swingarm mount bolt threads through into the nut on the other side and then I back that up with a nylok nut. So the adapter floats  so to speak on that bolt. On either side of the adapter I have bushed with teflon washers to prevent wear to the alum surfaces. I do get a little movement at this location but only if I if I am in the air(rare). I plan to open and press in a bronze bush to tighten that hole when I get time.

I think that I could even go with a 7 7/8" i2i if I get the 2 crossholes almost right on each other. But that's another day.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 07:55:00 am »
Simon, I thought about removing the shock mount on the swingarm, and replacing with a taller one also.

However, its  remounting the new one I am unsure of. Have you thought of this?

Yes,whether it would work will be in the trying,
Basically I was going to replicate how the current mount is fitted,firstly remove the current one by drilling out the rivits and carefully breaking the bonding resin between the s/arm and mounting,I was going to rebond on the new mount an re-rivit with stainless steel rivits,I was also going to increase the amount of rivits from the current total of 4 to a total of 8,4 rivited evenly either side,or even 10,4 rivited either side and 1 either end in the centre.
Simon.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 07:57:53 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 09:00:29 am »
What I will most likely do is make an adapter to run a 7.5 shock, after picking one up on ebay. If I can get a cheap FOX, I will send to PUSH.

Either way, the 7.5 or even 7.875 i2i leaves more room for experimenting with different brands.. [smiley=nod.gif]

Simon, as far as changing the swingarm mount, sounds like an "over the winter project". I would dread being without a ride during prime season...oh, wait!, I have another swingarm....hhhmmm... ;)
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 09:17:08 am »
How much does the Push conversion cost?
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 09:18:16 am »
Sounds like what i'm working on, kinda. While I don't have exactly the same frame the theory is still there.

Air shock - Cane Creek Cloud Nine. Go with their exchange program and you get $100 U.S. off the price, which makes it $225 U.S. Their longest shock measures 200 mm (7.875") i2i. Also, a considerable amount of manufacturers makes around this size (as you already know).

Make the same kinda of adaptor that Autoduel and several others use (sorry, don't remember the names off-hand) and you're set.

I don't have my 5000 frame YET, but with my 3000 I stand to gain at least 1/2" (12 mm) rear wheel travel.  Not too bad for just upgrading a shock. And the Could Nine's are half the weight of a coil-over. Save a full pound in the process. [smiley=nod.gif]

Yeah baby!!!!

hint - you can do the same thing with the CrossLink up front too! Just think, one of few people who can enjoy perfectly matching shocks front and rear.

Crap - I just realized you wanted a STABLE platform air shock. Well, the C9 has the RCA feature. :-[ That's close.  :-[

ONE question - what is the i2i and ACTUAL stroke of the shock the comes with the Evo's and 5000's (<~ and whatever else is the same design that i'm missing)?
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 09:46:45 am »
How much does the Push conversion cost?

Here in the UK a PUCH conversion for a Fox air shox fitted along with a FULL OVERHAUL/SERVICE is £110 approx $200 U.S depending on model,
I'm sure this carried out in U.S would be alot cheaper,its good value over here £42 for the PUCHed conversion onto top of a full service,thats the deal,
http://www.tftunedshox.com/fox/foxcharges.htm
Simon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 09:49:13 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 09:51:04 am »
works great, but you will feel a difference, i prefer it.remember that not all 5" forks will be the same, some are taller=slacker than others. [smiley=nod.gif]

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 10:11:29 am »
Matno, per the PUSH website, prices for a stable platform conversion start at 150.00.

I seem to remember someone here checking with Cane Creek about the cloud 9. C.C. did not recommend it for a single pivot swingarm bike.??
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2005, 10:28:10 am »
You're on the money, Ed. Simon JUST I.M.'ed me about this. I'm waiting to hear back from him, but I THINK it might only be the carbon's. Not sure, as this is the first time i've heard about this.

When I e-mailed them I told them what I had in mind, and even sent a pic of Autoduel's setup (from here in the gallery) and they didn't mention anything about it being bad. Perhaps it's only the non-strut guys that this concerns?????
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 10:53:23 am »
Yes sent you a PM
According to Canecreek there no good on single pivot style frames like the Oz and Evo,they are fine on worldcup style frames as they are activated via a strut and are not subjected to latteral forces.
Simon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 10:54:21 am by Simon »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 11:57:54 am »
??????????  What I don't get is that there are many other bikes that C9s fit that use higher spring rates than the Oz at 500lbs or 550lbs and they warranty them.

My beast ran a 700lb spring. My buddy owned a Specialized enduro with a 900lb spring, and they had a shock for it.  I have seen people adapt Cane Creeks on proflexes before so I don't get thier logic.

What is it about the Proflex/K2 leverage ratio that the C9 can't handle? I think they have some other bug up thier behind.

Sorry about the rant,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 02:16:48 pm »
Terry, I think it has more to do with the swingarm's material composition, more than anything. Same could be said for the frame. I'm told the carbon's are more flexy than their aluminum predecessors. NOT a bad thing, just different.

Depending on what happens with this 5000 frame i'm trying to get (it's getting CLOSE!) I might try to see if I can find an early Evo aluminum swingarm.Yeah, I know - good luck to me! I'm sure they (Cane Creek) would say it's cool. I'll check with my contact there when he's back in the office next week and see what he says about it. It would be nice to have a clear-cut answer that defines any rules to this.

Crap - i'm starting to hi-jack this. Sorry!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 03:38:32 am »
Frank,  I do agree that the carbon swingarn is more flexy. But not so much so that it could sieze a shock. In that case, a crossing adapter would allow for the movement. Actually, I think that the carbon is more stout from the main pivot to the shock mount, and then gets flexy from there back to the wheel.

Really I think that Cane Creek is just shining K2/Proflex.

IMHO, Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 03:49:39 am »
Nothing wrong with opinions. 8) I'll find out soon enough, kinda. (I won the 5000 frame)

Crossing adaptor? Wuzzat? Perhaps you mean crossing from the standpoint of rotating the shock on it's axis to turn the mounting eyes 90*? That would work.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 04:20:14 am »
??????????  What I don't get is that there are many other bikes that C9s fit that use higher spring rates than the Oz at 500lbs or 550lbs and they warranty them.

My beast ran a 700lb spring. My buddy owned a Specialized enduro with a 900lb spring, and they had a shock for it.  I have seen people adapt Cane Creeks on proflexes before so I don't get thier logic.

What is it about the Proflex/K2 leverage ratio that the C9 can't handle? I think they have some other bug up thier behind.

Sorry about the rant,

Terry

I can only pass on what Canecreek told me when I enquired about a C9 shock for an Oz,
what they said was the C9 is not designed to take any lateral loads (only compression loads)as these would very quickly wear the shaft bearing and seals,as the C9 shock is air sprung (not coil sprung)and air damped and not over built (hence its very light)it would rapidly develope leaks,this was there recommendation at the time maybe they've changed there mind now but it does make sense to me.
Simon.