Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 06:11:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 856 vs FSR Expert vs Trance 2  (Read 2274 times)

will

856 vs FSR Expert vs Trance 2
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:50:22 am »
Went to a Demo Day at our local trailhead yesterday.
Wanted to try out all the new technology and see what I was missing. It's no secret that I've got new bike fever, either.

The first thing I did was ride the 13 mile loop as hard as I could on my 856. Yes the bike still has a too soft front spring on the crosslink EXPs and the rear shock is a homemade mess of ODS w/ a die spring.

Then I signed all the releases and went for a few test rides.

Well... The Specialized FSR proved to be an overweight, noisy, and skittish. It didn't help that Specialized's rep was a foul mouthed slacker more interested in riding than repping. The set up wasn't ideal, but it should have ridden better than it did. When I rode a one mile loop behind it, I confirmed my impressions. It bobbed like a cork, the rearend jumped all over the place and the kid half my age couldn't keep ahead of me on the 856. I know this sounds strange because this is a "famous bike" but I can't deny what I saw and felt.

The Giant Trance 2 was a different deal altogether. I put my entire weight on the seat for solid two foot drop and hit every root and log I could find. This thing was super stable and smooth. Three inch obstacles were almost undetectable. Although the bike is kinda heavy, it "rides light." I won't buy one because it's a little too complex, but the Maestro geometry really works.

The Cannondale prophet is looking pretty good now.

My take away from the experience is don't invest in a new bike unless you're going to get stable platform tech.

This is a good next step for the 856 perhaps.

Will

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: 856 vs FSR Expert vs Trance 2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 04:22:56 am »

My take away from the experience is don't invest in a new bike unless you're going to get stable platform tech.

This is a good next step for the 856 perhaps.

Will

I'm intending in the future to get the Fox float shock I've fitted to my 856 project upgraded with the PUSHed system,I've heard it surpasses other propedal systems,can't verify it though having not tried either,still a much cheaper option  for me though.
Simon.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 06:42:13 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,