Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 10:17:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: No more K2 :(  (Read 3147 times)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
No more K2 :(
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:34:29 am »
Well, I ovalized the head tube on my 2000 K2 EVO 4.0. [smiley=depressed.gif] So, I went looking for a new frame and realized I couldn't afford any of them! [smiley=laughing.gif]

I looked at the Weyless 67 FR, the SC Bullit clone they had for $399.00 with Manitou 4way Swinger Coil shock. After reading all good reviews on it I went down to the local SuperGo to pick one up. (The same place I bought my trusty EVO 4.0 on clearance!) But, when I got there they were all sold out, even the other stores. They only had the ones without the shock for $299.00. Still not a bad deal... but I passed.

I ended up finding a used 2002 Foes Mono DHS for sale locally. I checked it out and it is basically flawless. (except for the nasty green paint scheme! [smiley=laughing.gif] After checking it out I picked it up for $450.00 with thomspon seatpost / MRP guide / extra axles / 5 diff springs for the Vanilla R / etc. Quite a deal I think considering this frame was $2899.00 for just the frame 2 years ago!

Well its all built up minus the crank which is still in the mail. I am just itching to take it for a spin. When sitting on it it just feels goood! Also the bike feels so balanced compared to my EVO which was way front heavy... then again it wasn't design for a boxxer! Which is also why I ovalized the headtube in the firstplace! :o

BTW - about the paint... when I get a little more cash together its getting painted. I am thinking either Ferrari Red or Le Mans Blue.

I will miss the Evo... in fact its still sitting in my room. Many great rides with it. She went before her time, I think!

Even up until it died... people at the bike shops were like wow carbon fiber swingarm! hehe. 5 years old and people still aw at it! Not bad at all. :)

Ride On!

Specs:

2002 Foes DHS Mono - 2003 Boxxer Race - Hayes Mag HD's 8" Fr / 6" Rr - Easton Ea50 Bars - Thompson Seatpost - WTB Speed V Race saddle - Race Face Evlove DH X-Type 38T Crank - MRP Chain guide / bash rings - XT Rr Derailuer - Sun Ringle Abbah DH Hubs 20mm Fr / 12mm Rr - 14Ga Spokes - Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL Rims - Maxxis 2.5 Highroller Super Tacky Rr - Hutchinson 2.5 Octopus Comp Super Tacky Fr

Pics:

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Kevins19

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 10:36:06 am by Kevins19 »

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
Re: No more K2 :(
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:53:25 am »
Well!
Get U a new K2.

It's worth it!

U can't be without it anyway.

do it
do it
do it
do it
do it
do it

get a frame from ebay and build it up with your parts from your old one.

do it
do it
do it
do it
do it

I have now 3 of those bikes and it might be possi to be more in future
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:49:41 am »
Kevins19,

wow, a foes DHS for how much? I really like the Foes bikes, they are amazing.

I vote for Ferrari red, but the old Ferrari red. The new Ferrari is more orangey, the older Ferrari red is darker, and is more the color of dried blood.

and, get another K2.

have lots of fun with the foes, I've always wanted one, the Fly anyway, and a DHS mono. you are a lucky man to have found one so cheap. also, get u a curnutt for that thing, if you can.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 06:52:04 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:29:19 am »
Thanks!

I am leaning towards Ferrari Red as well.

The only thing is the rear disc mount on the frame seems to be about 3mm off to the left. As its 3mm to far from the rotor. So the caliper will need a spacer in between the mount and the rotor to properly position its self over the rotor... odd. I am going to call Foes about this.

About the curnutt.. I would love to but dont want to spend $550 for a shock ATM. The Fox will have to do. Maybe I can get a deal from Foes...

I would love to build up a more all mountain / heavy duty XC K2 / proflex again. I have about half of the parts anyway just laying around. This time sticking to a single crown.. maybe a Fox vanilla 125 or RS Pike.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:31:12 am by Kevins19 »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:32:41 am »
So got any pics of the ovalized frame? Any chance you want to part with it?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Joe

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 01:44:48 am »
thats no good, got me wondering just how long my evo will hold up... least you got somethin REAL nice to replace her

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 12:46:16 pm »
Joe:

Thanks,

Just remember I was running a Boxxer up front. Also, I was using if for a light freeriding. So, I was prob. a lot harder on my frame.

In fact it actually held up very well, fro two years of jumping... not bad if you ask me. The head tube isnt that bad. I tighten the upper crown to proper torque and the stem etc. No wobble, then after a few rides (about 2) it is a tad loose. That hasnt happened pn the foes...

shovelon:

no pics at the momemt (at work) will put some in my gallery later and link to them.

Would prob. part with it... no money to build it up again and fix it... atm. the carbon swingarm is mint. just the prob with the head tube. In fact I have a deep cup headset in the foes (PIG DH Pro - 2mm steel cups) which got me thinking... if you  put a deep headset like that of the CK it might be fine fro XC riding.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 12:50:12 pm by Kevins19 »

Joe

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 11:24:42 pm »
funny, i was gonna suggest a deep headset might help out, I was thinking of doing that with mine....

A couple parts are different, this pic was taken right after I put it on last year...

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 02:21:44 am »
Hey there Kevins19,

What are the chances of pressing in a deep headset with epoxy such as JBWeld. Maybe that would solve the problem for life.

Right now I am in the process of repairing a cracked head tube on a proflex 3000. I should reclaim it's original shape, but if not I would glue the bottom in.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 08:07:41 am »
hi, i dont know if this is relavent but im currently riding a cinelli roadie with a split in the headtube which ive fixed by using a seatpost clamp round the tube. check out my pics in the gallery and look at the `my roadies` pic and youll see what i mean. i dont know what size clamps are available but if its possible to get one that fits it would save your frame.  hope this is of some help. ive also been toying with the idea of machining some ally so its a tight fit then heating it up and pressing it on the headtube so it would be neater (im a cnc turner)  
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

disco magic

• Novice
  • I love to Bounce
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 02:44:07 pm »
Shame about the bike Kevin.
The rear shock spring still lives on in my 02 Disco Monkey - the heavier spring you traded transformed the handling - also recently added new Sherman Fireflys up front with 20mm though axle and new 203mm discs...  
Enjoy the new bike!
:)
Disco Monkey

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 06:10:18 pm »
Hehe, Thanks!

I am glad too here that that spring is stil working out. The 550lbs. on mine really helped soften upu the suspension. I made a big different too.  [smiley=nod.gif]

BTW - you do know that new parts require pics to be posted right. Or did you not get that memo!  [smiley=laughing.gif]