Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 08:24:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My New K2  (Read 2228 times)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
My New K2
« on: April 02, 2005, 12:09:57 pm »
Well a bit ago my K2 kinda died!  :o

So I bought another...

But, its not what you think. I was watching some BMX videos and that stuff looked really fun! So, one of the local shops here in CA is mainly BMX stuff. And I have been there a few times, getting some emergency repairs done while freeriding around town. They are awesome, just cool people (Owned by A dad and his son) They just like biking and are having fun. (My kinda shop)

Anyway...

After those videos and the fact that I did a little BMXing back in the day. I figured now is as good as any time to start it again. So, I drive down to the shop and picked up this beuty! Its a closeout K2 Freestyle BMX bike. Originally $529 MRSP and they guy asked me what I wanted to pay for a bike after checking it out for a while. I told him I was trying to keep it around $300.00 (BMX bikes are so cheap!  [smiley=laughing.gif]) He said ok... $300.00 it is. Deal I said and walked out with the bike and a BIG one of these  ;D

But, man its different riding BMX compared to MTB. I tried to bunny hop and by instinct pushed down to preload my suspnsion and I jumped off of the bike and it stayed on the ground! hahaha I felt like a fool in the parking lot! >:(

Well, anyway this bike will make me much less of a hack! Because if you mess up you will fall on a BMX not like a full suspension where your fork can save you if you land wrong... But after a few jumps (keeping it to 2-3 stair drops atm so I don't kill myself!) I can already tell I am landing smoother. This bike really teaches you to become smoother or you WILL pay in blood for it! It was funny I had all my DH pads on so I don't hurt my self on those insane 12inch drops I was doing! And people were watching me ride by staring, thinking I was some pro with the fullface helmet and that. If they only new that I was a total newb! hehe

It is spec'ed pretty nice for a BMX... bike Sun ditch witch wheels, high flang sealed hubs, 3pc. Chro-Mo Cranks, HD KMC "Gold" chain, 6.4mm 44T chainring (Chaning to a 33T ASAP), SST Gyro, Tektro U-Brakes. I am going to change the pedals to a set of Silver Welgo's I have laying around so there isn't as much blue on it. I love the natural finish frame and the blue... I just think there is a little to much blue in that area.

Required Pictures in Gallery:

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Kevins19

Ride On!

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
Re: My New K2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:56:39 pm »
Way to keep it in the family. Sounds like a good deal to me.

My condolences on your Evo.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 01:02:59 pm »
Thanks,

Yeah, I have had nothing but good luck with K2 so I figured why not and at $229.00 off... I couldn't resist. Its a fun alternative to MTB, def wont't be riding it as much as my big bike but its one more thing to get me away from the computer!

The EVO frame is actually sitting in my room, I think I might keep it around and one day when I have some extra cash laying around, I might try a Deep cup headset, and see if that takes care of the slight ovalization with a single crown fork. Especially since I have half of a build for it in spare parts in my closet.

Cheers!

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 01:51:04 pm »
I dig the bmx'er, looks pretty cool.
I agree with you about changing the pedals out. don't people understand that you can't put the same color together?

have lost of fun with it!

[smiley=groucho.gif]

ps. I really envy you your Foes. almost went for one on ebay for 1800.00, but chickened out before I put in final bid which would have gotten me the bike. it had a ti curnutt.
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:07:31 pm »
Thanks,

I can't wait to ride it... It has been sitting in my house crank-less for what seems to be an eterity. But my new Diablous X-Type should be here wed. and will be going on a epic scale ride to brake it in!  :o I will post ride comments on it ASAP after the maiden voyage!

Maybe there is a reason you didn't buy that one off of E-bay... maybe you will find a better deal. Who knows.  8)

BTW - Man, those curnutt's are nice. With all the stuff I have bought lately thouh, the Vanilla R will have to do for now.