Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:21:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Off Topic - Gran Turismo 4  (Read 3041 times)

jinder

• Master
Off Topic - Gran Turismo 4
« on: March 06, 2005, 11:43:47 pm »

Ok, this isn't Proflex related...but I been playing Gran Turismo 4 for 1 week now and I LOVE this game!  
For all you guys in Europe...the game is due to release today (I think?) - if you got a PS2 ... get this game!  

Here are some of the photos I took of my cars in the game itself

Beast

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Off Topic - Gran Turismo 4
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:06:59 am »
Jinder,

You would get along well with Junior. Bought him a computer for his first year in college. Spends most of his computer time playing some shootum up on an online game. Does weekend campouts at his friends house networked to 3 other computers playing this game and exchanging codes. Go figure.

The way kids look at me these days, they make me feel like fred flinstone.

Last month I scored the WORD though. He kicked my butt an uphill ride, rutted and muddy but fun. I must have worked him for on the way down he bonked big time. Not only he had elvis legs, but elvis arms too. He had to occasionally to rest, ON THE DOWNHILL!

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:10:37 am »
off topic reply on this topic that started off topic in the first place: Jinder, your avatar doesn't seem to work at this side of the WWW.

Jeroen.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 07:18:09 am »
jinder,
cool pix. i actually downloaded the one of the Benz for use in a powerpoint about forces on cars in banked turns for next year's class.

why, oh why, would you ever want to drive a Honda (Acura) even in a game, when you can drive an MB?

I wonder if the MB's in the game had the same aerodynamic problems that the real one's had? two fliew, yes flew, off the track at LeMans a few years ago. one during practice, one during the race. MB hasn't raced one of their cars since.

I LOVE Grand Prix 4. What a great sim (not a game, this is very serious business)!! I, of course, only drive the Ferrari. Why would I want to drive anything else. In the real world, it was a disappointing weekend for M. Schumacher in Australia. Hopefully, things will get better for them.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:18:46 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

jinder

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 08:44:06 am »
Yes, it was a shocker to see M. Schumacher fall out - I have been a big fan for a very long time... oh well - 18 more races to go!
The reason why I have the Honda NSX is because I am in the market to buy a older Acura NSX - probably a 1991 or something (their around $38,000).  And I do drive a Acura Integra  :)   But if we could get MB over in Canada I would get one!  They are COOL little cars for sure.

I got my avatar working - thigns for the heads up!

Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 08:05:33 pm »
wrong german car jinder!!!

althothe rules make it rather artificial it was good to see some close racing and other makes mixing it for once!
kiwi proflex rider

jinder

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:34:50 am »
Kiwi... I own a BMW 328is - I love BMW a great deal.

This is my car

http://ca.geocities.com/tegpower@rogers.com/bmw.html

I also have a 92 Acura Integra and NSX...  check them out here

http://www.pbase.com/jinderv/cars

Personally I don't like Mercs very much, but the CLK-GTR is a awesome LM car.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 01:59:15 pm by jinder »
Beast

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 05:02:05 am »
Didn't watch the grand prix,used to follow it religiously but got bored,been to a couple of grand prix events,worth it for the noise,seen Schumacher and co race but its not a patch on the Senna Prost and Mansell days, also went and watched them,to see Senna trying to rest pole from Mansell at the British grand prix and spinning 360 in front of me (twice)at stow corner at 180mph,he changed gear (manually,no flicky gearbox) and carried on his way without hardly losing any time awesome,
also find sports car racing boring now,Audi against oh Audi,used to regually attend world sports car events (when it was sports prototypes)there you had the might of Mercedes, Porche,Nissan,Toyota,and the mighty Jaguar XJR 9,also went the 24hrs du Le-mans before they ruined the mulsanne straight,to have Alain ferte (XJR9 LM) waving at you at 240mph (flatout on the mulsanne straight) I'll never forget it,plus you get to meet all the drivers without any problems,even Schumacher raced world sports prototypes,he was only an OK driver in that,funny he got a right strop on when his Merc broke down in front of us at the British sports car round,don't know why,could of been the huge Union jack flag that someone drapped over his car [smiley=laughing.gif],
anyway your all wrong
current most awesome car
Aston martin DB9
if you just want to scare youself silly anything from TVR,only drivers need apply.
Simon.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:05:44 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 05:16:36 am »
,seen Schumacher and co race but its not a patch on the Senna Prost and Mansell days, also went and watched them,to see Senna trying to rest pole from Mansell at the British grand prix
also find sports car racing boring now,Audi against oh Audi,used to regually attend world sports car events (when it was sports prototypes)there you had the might of Mercedes, Porche,Nissan,Toyota,and the mighty Jaguar XJR 9,also went the 24hrs du Le-mans before they ruined the mulsanne straight,to have Alain ferte (XJR9 LM) waving at you at 240mph (flatout on the mulsanne straight) if you just want to scare youself silly anything from TVR,only drivers need apply.
Simon.  

simon,

couldn't agree with you more about the current state of gp and sports cars. I remember going to Lime Rock Park in Conn every Memorial Day to see IMSA GTP cars. Nissans, Aston Nimrod, Porsche 962, before that the Porsche/Kremer K3's and turbo BMW 3-series with like 900 hp. Paul Newman in a V-8 twin turbo Nissan 280Z (yes, that's right, that Paul Newman - Butch Cassidy and Sundance KId) with over 900 hp getting his throttle stuck exiting the esses, going across a field, into a stream, and then walking out holding his helmet, smiling, waving to the crowd.

all the cars getting airborne over the rising turn (since added a chicane to the top  of the rising turn for ALMS and WCS cars), until Geoff Brabham flipped over backwards in a Nissan GTP and landing on the roof. awesome stuff!!! back then, it was all about going faster, now its about controlling speed and costs. a real pity!!

as for TVRs, I owned a 1974 TVR 2500M with the TR6 engine. mechanically it was a disaster, but man did it fly. I was able to leave rubber in all four gears with only about 125 hp. the thing was so light and so wide and low that it was the most amazing cornering machine I have ever driven. fiberglass body and tube frame chassis. too bad I didn't have enough money at the time to keep it running. I sold it and took a bath on the monetary aspect, but it was such a great car to drive. maybe I'll try to find one  one of these days, now that I have a bit more money and another car to drive every day (Shelby CSX). seems like I keep going back to the things I had (did) when I was young. guess this is what  a mid-life crisis is!!  :'(

I also once test drove an Elva Courier, that was a real machine too. side curtains, right hand drive (in US!), hole in firewall for heat. didn't buy it, cause there was no way to lock it, no outside door handles!! Brits sure do make amazing cars, amazing in many different ways that is.

thanks for bringing the TVR memory back, simon (although it may cost me money -ebay)

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:22:16 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:03:19 am »
Hey Dennis TVR has changed quite a lot since you owned one,a guy called Peter wheeler took it over,they use to use tuned V8 Rover engines until BMW took Rover (Briefy asset stripping,eg new MINI), Peters answer ain't having no German engine in my car (or words to that extent),so they built there own,flat plane crank 4.0 4.2 4.5 v8's 4.0 straight six and even a production 7.7 V12 700+bhp etc,they have proved to be extremly good and a bit bonkers,400+ bhp 0-60mph under 4sec's at a third of the price of a Porche,he liked his cars to be driven so no ABS no traction control even if you wanted it,I've always liked the look of them apart from there performance,company has very recently been bought by a Russian don't know much about him.
have alook at there site for old times sake
www.tvr-eng.co.uk
Simon.
Ps your right we can do make some fantastic cars we just suffer with bad management over here,unfortunatly you wont get to see them over there due to your legislation,they can't afford to comply, most of our top engineers though are emplyed in motor racing,eg Ferrari are full of British designers and engineers,as is Mclaren, Williams Renault (Benetton)just about all of them along with manufactures in the CART and IRL series,the top current BMW designer is a Brit but looking at there latest cars I'll keep quite about him, [smiley=laughing.gif]
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 08:34:52 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 09:27:35 am »
Wow! Great shots They almost look like proffessional renderings. It's hard to believe the game/console can fire off this many realistic frames a second whatever the frame rate is.
Oh and Jinder,I will be carefull tomorrow. It is going to be another freezing night. I thought we were past all the cold whether because so many birds were chirpping this morrning.  Oh well.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 12:16:18 pm »
Jinder,

I don't know where you live, but here on Long Island (part of New York), only posers and my high school students drive BMW's. I would only drive one if I lived somewhere else. too bad, because they are great cars.

I personally love Italian cars. I have owned three Fiats in the old days. Two Fiat 124 spiders (my first car was one), and a SuperBrava. I owned the TVR in between the two spiders. along with the cost of maintaining the TVR, I was always bugged about not having a convertible, the TVR only had a sunroof, thought I could deal with it, but couldn't. Of course, I haven't had a convertible in many years. so,you see, thats how that goes.

Simon, I have followed TVR through the years from a distance. There is usually one at the Sebring 12 hour race, they never last past the first couple of hours. British engineering.... yeah, right. like wiring two 6V batteries to get 12V. (an old girlfriend's MGB).

seriously, I know most of the tech guys in F1 are British. the Ferrari team is mostly just old Benetton guys, except for Jean Todt.

anyway, my fav car of all time (besides my Shelby CSX - 15 years old next month) is the 70's Lancia Stratos. I used to "visit" one in a show room when I was buying parts for whichever Fiat I owned at the time. I would die just to be able to drive one around the block sometime.

I thought this was a bike site. My Iron Horse (ebay) dh frame ought to arrive anyday now. frame, headset, bb, crank, chain guard, seat post, with Vanilla RC, all only 328.00. man, ebay is great sometimes. I just hope it isn't too big. Its a medium.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

jinder

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 02:06:35 pm »
So true Alex...man its COLD in Ontario isn't it?  What is it tonight... -15? I better wear my jacket tomorrow :)

All those cars sound awesome.  I love TVR, but you can't get them in Canada - and the DB9 is nice...but its a bit too heavy for me.  I love the lightweight supercars cars...All in all I would love to own a Ferrari 512TR or F512M or a F40 (my fav car ever - and one of the lightest supercars ever made)...but of course I can't because I ain't rich - probably never will be :)

This game Gran Turismo 4 really is a cracker!  You guys HAVE to get it...

P.S. Go Schumacher!

P.S. (2)  I can't wait for spring...I really really REALLY wanna ride my 957!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 02:37:51 pm by jinder »
Beast