Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:22:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45
45 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: pedals,prolly shimano,need feedback  (Read 2945 times)

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
pedals,prolly shimano,need feedback
« on: January 21, 2005, 08:43:28 am »
ok i am after new shoes my old shimano mo 31 have always been a tiny bit small.I am leaning towards mo 38,s i want a completely walk freindly shoe,with enough stiffness to be good on a road bike too.I use old  ONZA (remember them?) pedals on the 756 and the road bike.

I like the idea of the cage supporting the shoe...I am sorta leaning towards the shimano 520

but i wonder if the 545

is more like me?any thoughts

As i say i must be able to use the same shoes on both bikes
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: pedals,prolly shimano,need feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:00:19 am »
Eggeaters Candy, Imba special edition. Light and cheap.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jinder

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:11:56 pm »
I am also in the market for Shimano shoes...   SH-M221

Beast

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:45:39 pm »
cmon guys no opinions on whats best for me.....?
apart from a bullet!
kiwi proflex rider

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:09:38 am »
Why dont you try on a pair of SiDi shoes?
How much walking are you going to do? it is only a few steps between your MtB & road bike!
I made the mistake of trying on a pair of SiDi dominators and couldnt leave the shop with out them.
I also use the same shoe for both bikes. 8)
As for pedels I like the 545's better.
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 03:35:04 am »
Can only comment on what I use.

Pedals:
M515 and M520's both Ok and I don't notice any lack of platform support such as the M545 offers, but I suppose sometimes when you don't want to or have time to clip in then this would give you some sort of pedalling platform.....
I believe the M540's are significantly lighter than the M520's so I may consider a pair of these.
I'd like to try a pair of eggbeaters but that means new cleats as well on all of my shoes........see list below..........("you can never have too many shoes"........ Imelda Marcos)

Shoes:
Shimano FR-80
nubuck Boots which are great and nice and warm for the winter.
Shimano MX-70
suede "skate" style shoes for casual stuff like going down the pub and to see friends, very walkable and soft whilst still providing a stable pedalling platform. similar to the M038's you're looking at. I wouldn't regard them as a serious off-road shoe for here in the UK, but in drier conditions they're probably fine.
Shimano M150
Sport/Race type Mountain shoe with 3 velcro straps, aggressive grip and spikes, neoprene collar to stop the crap getting in and very good grip when walking but not great on smooth surfaces as very stiff and loud! A bit slim fitting, so only with thin socks.
Shimano FR-70
suede Low Boots (709g), I've just bought these on eBay and I really only bought them because the FR-80's are so good that a similar pair for warmer conditions should be good, hopefully!
Shimano SH-M071
Off-Road Sport/Performance Shoes
no spikes, twin velcro closure, a cheap pair for everday use as the M150's are a bit tight and at least I can wear warmer socks with these.

Other than my M150's the other's are all fine for walking in. The aggressive grip on some of them is essential for the muddy conditions in my part of the UK at the moment.

Overall that's the main issue with older Shimano shoes, that they're very narrow and so I always have to go up a size (continental 42 - 43). The newer ones are a bit wider, but I still find that I have to go one size up.

Only way to be sure is try some on in a shop! (and then buy them cheap on the net!)

hope this helps a little bit........
Col
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:38:43 am by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 07:13:18 am »
Although you prolly won't like them, based on your initial post, I heartily recommend the Speedplay Frog pedals. I use them on both mountain and road bikes.

I also use Northwave shoes on both bikes. If I am going to be walking and mtb'ing, I use a pair of Northwave Extreme shoes (no longer being made), but the current Northwave that is similar is the Epic All Terrain. They can even be worn in the gym with the stud cover in place on the sole. Here is a pic:

If I plan on just walking into a deli or restaurant during a road or mountain ride, I will use my Northwave Hydrogen Power shoes, they are great too, but have been replaced with a newer model. the Magma looks pretty close, but one of their other models could be more similar. Here is a pic of the Magma:

If I am riding my road bike for max. performance, I use a pair of Northwave road shoes that are similar to their new Twister shoe, shown below:

as someone above quoted Imelda Marcos: "you can never have too many shoes". although, I just have these 3, I am looking for a pair of winter bike shoes. Wonder what brand I should get? perhaps, Northwave? hmmmmmm.

btw, here is a pic of the Frogs, if you have not seen them. Their cleat is very walk-friendly.

Have phun making your decision. Remember to try on as many different brands and models of shoes as you can before you buy.

[smiley=groucho.gif]

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 07:18:48 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

debaucherous

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:59:09 am »
Can't help.  I am strictly a platform pedal type.  Though, Converse Chuck Taylor All stars are a remarkably good shoe for rides that are techincal and less than 2 hours  ;D

jimbo

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
I currently use platforms with Vans skateboard shoes.  

Before I switch to flats, I used the Shimano 545.  I liked the cage on the 545 because it allowed me to pedal while still trying to clip in.  The 545 was better for me in sketchy terrain.  I would use the spds without cages if I strickly did XC.

Get the ones with the big cage.

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 02:00:53 pm »
awesome guys awesome just what i need...more more......I will definetly try efore i buy but the choice in nz is limited and often shops wont have the bigger sizes,just the average sizes so i need info to see what i should TRY to get
kiwi proflex rider

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 03:36:10 pm »
My two cents for what it's worth...
I've used the old Onza's, but traded out fot the Shimano 535's.  Overall not a bad pedal, but during a few races (completely dry ones-very dusty) they eventually got enough dirt inside to really give me a hard time getting out.  I actually stopped once, went to my car, got out my brush and a little lube to free them up during the race.  
With the EVO, I went for Time ATAC Z's.  I like the pedal, but only b/c of the entry/release quality compared to the 535's.  If I did it again, I would buy the non-platform Times and save the weight.  
Shoes-I've had several, but my favorite pair is the Dominator.  I was lucky enough to come across a shop that was going out of business and they had one pair left in my size for 50% off.  My nitpicking complaint is I wish they had laces.  I know Velcro is convienent and does well for the most part, but sometimes it seems my heel wants to pull out of the shoe if I have to walk it up.  
2nd favorite are Diadora Jalapenos.  I don't know if they still make them.  Aggressive sole, with laces and one Velcro strap.  The other pair of shoes I have are more suited for dual purpose...those are Nikes.  They're ok, but they seem to fit funny.  My big toe has room, but the shoe has too much of a contour compared to my foot so my last two toes get squashed.  I don't wear them any more for that reason...

ChilliConCarnage

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 11:12:24 am »
I've had a lot of shoes in my day, but I've found the ultimate pair that I now use for my road and mt bikes.  I liked my Diadora Geckos because they fit well (they have laces and velcro).  I've had a couple of Lakes that just felt weird.  My Cannondale MC610s (?) are great for walking and look like a regular shoe.  But for the ultimate fit and finish (hand-made in Italy), I agree with the other posters above: The Sidi Dominator 4s just can't be beat:

I've used them with Time Z pedals (too heavy), Wellgo SPDs (too unreliable), and Eggbeaters (my current setup).  I would like to try the Speedplays next, becuase they have massive amounts of float, which might help my ankle and knee problems.

Oh, and get the Specialized Body Geometry sole inserts.  I got some before I did a double century (206 miles on my road bike, of course) and they made all the difference in the world!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:13:03 am by ChilliConCarnage »
MOUNTAIN:
00 K2 Evo 4.0
99 K2 Flying Monkey
03 Salsa Caballero Scandium

ROAD:
06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon
06 Look 555 carbon
06 Fuji Cross Pro

Total of 42 bikes owned in last 5 years

jinder

• Master