Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 07:14:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mystery fork- not proflex or k2 related sorry!  (Read 3338 times)

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
Mystery fork- not proflex or k2 related sorry!
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:33:29 am »
Hi guys, :-[

Sorry to post not k2 proflex related stuff on here but I could really do with some guru experience on this one!

I picked up this Klein attitude, it's from the mid 90's sometime and is superlight.  The forks have gone flat with no rebound to speak of  & I'm trying to identify their manufacturer to get them fixed. Klein have been no help so far.  
I tried to put my spare crosslinks on the frame but the headset is too large for them to fit, plus I would need a 1 inch steerer or $230 adapter from Germany >:( for them to work.

Does anyone recognise the construction of these, Rockshock maybe??
Or does anyone know who made Kleins shocks in the 90's??
Next time I promise to post pretty pictures of my 955 under reco!!! ;) [smiley=beer.gif]

they leak a little oil so I'm guessing they're not MCU sprung

Serial number off the inside right leg

Dials saying "Static lockout" on each stanchion

Oversize headset with 1 inch steerer, integrated stem and bars, and a really ugly pink paint job!!!!

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Mystery fork- not proflex or k2 related sorry!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:37:27 am »
Isn't that an old Rock Shox Mag 30... it looks like it with the bolt on arch and canti mounts.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:56:14 am »
not sure if this will help look at this manual!!
kiwi proflex rider

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 01:31:44 pm »
 [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Kevins19!!!! Couldn't believe you came up with that answer so quickly!!!!! I ran a few searches on the mag series from rockshocks and even found a service manual online!!!!

http://www.sportimport.de/down/mag.pdf

From looking at all the part details and service instructions it looks like mine is a 1993 MAG 21
If I'm lucky all the seals will be reasonably intact and I can just pump it up with a needle valve!!! (maybe prior to every ride! ;))  Talk about an antique shock but they look to have rave reviews online!

These forks have been frustrating me for weeks, thanks soooooooo much for helpin me out!!!

Also cheer's to kiwi for the klein manual, I've stashed it away in my bike archives for doing future work on my new steed! [smiley=beer.gif] ;D

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 03:47:31 pm »
I remember Klein painting Rock Shox Mag 21s to match their bike paint schemes.  I still have a Mag 21 that works and the adjustment knobs on top with the numbers 1-6 looks identical to mine.  I purchased mine in 1993 or 94.  I remember riding one of those bikes and they handled well on technical trails.  
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 04:51:48 pm »
No problem! I am a geek, I gotta now my hardware! 8)

And, yes Mag 21 not 30, oops! I remember that fork, it was a good fork back in the day!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 04:53:54 pm by Kevins19 »

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 10:16:43 am »
After taking these shocks to 3 different LBS's where they all told me they couldn't be fixed and would need special forks with inch & 1/4 stems (read "Expensive forks" [smiley=coolfrown.gif]) I got them pumped up and running with a $1.49 football inflation needle!!!!!!!! [smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]

Have named the bike "Ms Piggy" due to her paintjob and oversize tubing.  Took her for a 2 hour cross country trek yesterday.  Was pretty impressed with the fork performance for such an antique!  The dials actually did something noticable to the compression but there was quite a lot of stiction (common in the Mag series apparently) and some oil leakage.  Am sure it's in need of a good service and new seals though.  

Thanks again for your help guys, once again the knowledge on this forum has saved me big $$$$$ and time!!!
[smiley=beer.gif]
Cheers,
Luke

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 10:12:26 am »
Footnote-
Stripped and serviced the forks myself yesterday, these things are bullet proof inside!! I replaced the 5wt oil with very light 1.5wt & increased the size of the air spring (added less oil)  What a change, stiction is completely gone and the shock is so much plusher! ;D  This is a good thing as my girlfriend will be riding this bike mainly and shes only about 55kg.

Am fully impressed with this shocks performance for it's age, I officially identified it by it's internals as being a 1992 Mag 21 - one of the first batch made as it's missing some of the seals added later in the '92 models!

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 10:48:55 am »
Hi Luke,

What a cool blast from the past the fork/frame is!  I have a couple of new rebuild kits for the original RS 1.  If you find the seals or other parts will work for you  give me a call here:  stp479(AT)aol(DOT)com

Scott
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 04:11:04 am »
kool   one piece " bar stem " combo !
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

loaded

• Journeyman
  • proflex 4000
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 11:13:32 am »
 ;D
Full pic for those interested:

Ain't she pretty!  :D :D

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 05:40:59 pm »
For what it is worth :D
As for the needle for the Mag 21.  I still have one with the pump.  I also have an unused rebuild kit, shhh, it is going to go on ebay someday.
The needle is similar to a basketball needle except the hole is on the end and not on the side.
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame