Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:29:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: WANTED:  Long travel kit.....  (Read 2122 times)

paulb

• Novice
  • a mountain bike is not just for christmas.....
WANTED:  Long travel kit.....
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:53:29 am »

I have had an email off callum and he sold out of them a while ago. So just out of interest does anybody out there have one they may want to sell.

sorry to be a pain i just want more with the bike i have.............
856,fox,reisse.raceface,hope,all disc.......

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: WANTED:  Long travel kit.....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 08:06:47 am »
I don't no how you are with engineering but this looks like a worthy project to copy,I'm sure Callum will assist with some relevant info.

Simon.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 08:07:41 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 08:33:07 am »
Another idea to increase travel (excluding a longer stroke shock) this may seem a bit way out there but let say you convert to disc's then the canti post mounts are redundent,remove these,now we're getting a bit drastic,cut off the strut mounts at the rear of the s/arm and re-weld these further forward around the canti post area,cut down the strut length to match the new mount re-welding on the strut yokes,the strut may need re-shaping inwards a little and may need some heat treatment to ensure it strength has not been comprimised,tyre clearance should stay the same,the world cup aluminium s/arm is extremely strong and flex free,my thinking is now the rear wheel would have to travel further to compress that shock through it full stroke ??? obviously spring rates a damping settings will require adjusting,I'm willing to accept I could be completly wrong here :-[,I'm also sure I've seen the strut mounted around this area on some old 954's,just a thought for those engineer types out there :P
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 09:03:56 am »
Right on Simon,

Way back in the early 1970s at the beginning of the Motocross long travel revolution, Maico did the same thing. Roger DeCoster was World Champ on his Suzuki 500 at the time. Can't remember the Maico contender but I recall Heinz something. Anyway the lower shock mount was moved forward and gusseted to increase leverage. My hooligan buddies and I all did this on our steeds.

Ah, the good ole days, gas torch, coat hangers, and beer.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 09:23:09 am »
Ah Terry another MXer from the 70's/80's great days,I remember the long travel revolution very well,at the age of 15 going from my short travel Honda M2 to the near 11" travel Honda was an eye opener [smiley=nod.gif].
Simon