Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 08:25:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 39
Total: 39
39 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Carbon seatpost - OUCH!  (Read 2847 times)

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Carbon seatpost - OUCH!
« on: January 03, 2005, 09:06:02 am »
Happy New Year team.

Yesterday I went riding on "The Wall" trail at Afan Argoed forest park in South Wales, UK.

Was just riding long some nice aggressive single track and giving it my normal enthusiastic endeavour when "CRACK"  followed by "OUCH" finally followed by "THANK GOD - NO Carbon splinters to remove from derrier or family jewell area!" The padding in the shorts and tights saved me.

Yep, the carbon seastpost snapped in two half way between the seatpost clamp and saddle.

Easton carbon CT2  about 4 years old. I guess it needed changing. That's the problem with carbon - it gives no warning when it is about to go.

So, if you are riding an old post it may be worth a change?

Sprucey - still taliking in a normal (not "Castrato") voice!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Carbon seatpost - OUCH!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:19:19 am »
wow halfway up???You would expect it to go right at the seatpost clamp.How are things sprucey???
kiwi proflex rider

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »
Yikes, time to replace my seatpost.  I've heard about these types of breaks, but that could be pretty detrimental.  Has anyone heard of this happening on road bikes as well?  I might be able to get a Easton seatpost for my road bike for a REAL good deal but would be afraid of something like this to happen.

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 11:16:36 pm »
  I have thought of a carbon seatpost as an upgrade but was hesitating, because I dont see carbon as a material that could handle the shearing action a seatpost is subject to.
 I personally will stay away from carbon bars and stems as well. But the cranks and most frames seem ok so far..
 Never heard of it happenning on a road bike, only mtb,s
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 11:58:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

Kiwi, I am well, thanks very much although a little too heavy - may explain the breakage!

On reflection, I feel I should make a few more comments about carbon seatposts.

1) I am a big guy - 230pounds.

2) the s/post was at least 4 years old and the older Easton CT2 type. It was also 27.2mm - whilst a typical size still low diameter. The newer posts (particularly those made by Easton are probably much better.

3) I don't believe that an aluminium seatpost would have lasted any longer than 4 years.

4) The usage at the time of breakage was fairly extreme - just landed a small drop-off with the suspension fully compressed with full body weight moving forward. I thought I was standing on the pedals at the time but you use the saddle more than you realise or think you are! (I found that out trying to ride the bike home with no saddle - just an inner folded spare tube tapped to the top of the broken stump - standing all the time kills the calves)

I will be using another carbon seatpost again and I do use carbon bars on all my bikes - road and MTB.

I am also a pro-sailor and virtually all the yachts I sail on are made from carbon and their masts are all made of carbon as well - I am a convert to the stuff.

Sprucey

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 12:21:43 am »
glad you are doing well sprucey - that could have been difficult on the old 'roids as well.

many years ago in california, there was a road 'bike race' from san francisco to san diego and you couldn't use a seat or even have a seatpost in the bike frame.  i declined the invitation to attend the event.

didn't seen like i'd have a good time

OP  
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 03:56:00 am »
I read in the latest "Sex" issue of Bicycle magazine that chicks dig that chissled calf look but boy oh boy is it painfull to acquire!

Sprucey

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 12:04:08 am »
some chicks dig '6 - packs'
some dig 'keggars'

i have a 'keggar'   [smiley=beer.gif]

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:08:00 am »
 :o >:( :-Xsprucey, you are lucky. i bet the weight is the main issue. i got a carbon bar and seatpost directly from easton, at a sponsered price and was told by the easton tech not to get the carbon, since i weigh over 200lbs. they wouldn't sell me a carbon one and this was in 2002. had to get the aluminum ea70 for my fat ass!!!!

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 09:13:59 am »
Hi Bikendan,

yeah, you are right.

But, these limits are all way over normal use. They have to cover their arses.

I am sure the newer Easton stuff is better.

I am a fat git - I work too hard, drink too hard and, following a messy divorce I have difficulty getting the motivation to make sure my 43 yr old body eats sensibly and exercises regularly.

Getting sorted now though - have rejoined the gymn - just hope the other 56 milion of the UK poulation who made exactly the same new year's resolution are not going to the same gymn!

Sprucey