Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 08:14:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Revised revised floating brake.  (Read 2537 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Revised revised floating brake.
« on: December 29, 2004, 01:16:32 am »
OK now I've tried my floating brake system it just didn't work as well as I hoped [smiley=worry.gif],it tended to jack up the back on heavy braking and stiffend the suspension action,pretty good on fast stutter bumps with light braking,looking at my system its quite obvious that mounting the torsion rod at an upward angle to the top shock mount would cause this,had a scour through the net on floating brake systems and came across a company called Brake therapy makers of retro fit systems (I'm sure someone has mentioned them on this site before),contacted their designer (Brian) and showed him my system,he confirmed my suspicions and said I had to either lenghten the pivot arm or lower the anchor end and this would give a neutral operation to the system and I would then see all the benifits of such a system,I had a look at the systems Brake therapy made and this gave me a good idea of the angles required,excuse all the pic's it just explains things better.Haven't tried it in anger yet but it feels much better just trying it out on the road,also on the plus side there's no weight gain as the shortened torsion rod and some extra slots in the rod removed more weight than the new mounting bracket. [smiley=nod.gif]
Simon.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 08:55:07 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
Re: Revised revised floating brake.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:15:14 am »
 ;) Great pics. I like to see others projects as they go.
Keep up the good work. 8)
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 05:51:28 am »
awesome work, Simon!

When does your super-stud-racer-son get one for his bike?

[smiley=beer.gif]

Mega-oZ

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 08:46:56 am »
awesome work, Simon!

When does your super-stud-racer-son get one for his bike?

[smiley=beer.gif]

I'm not getting a floating disc brake :(
though my dad has got a different idea for my bike which you will have to find out about later [smiley=laughing.gif], may take awhile though.
Mega-Oz
P.S my dad's bike does look good but he is a bit mad ;D.
K2 Oz, Mega-air, XERO feral wheelset,Hope mini's,XT,WTB Ti.Middleburn cranks,Raceface B/B,Risse Astro5,FSA x115,Answer pro taper carbon bars,Egg beaters,Ti bolts.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 12:35:26 pm »
Simon,

I'm out of my league here but I was wondering if the front derailler post could be modified or recreated in such a way as to hold the derailler and have a removable plate come up the back spine of the seattube and rest against the carbon to hold the forces generated.  Similar to the upper plate you made and maybe rest in a notch or such in the spine.

That would lower the arm position on the frame -

just a thought

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 07:55:45 pm »
Op I've seen your work and your not out of your league here ;D,must admit that idea never crossed my mind but it sounds entirely feasible and by running the length of the spine you could have more than 1 mounting point so you could effectively tune the brake to varing conditions,

Thanks for the comments this bracket is pretty much permanent,its rivited and bonded on,it took a lot of soul searching before I got the courage to drill that frame [smiley=worry.gif]I think that is pretty much it on the floating brake system its been a great project to do if not abit more involved and frought than I origionally anticipated, no doubt there will be some more tweeks on it as time goes by,
Carbon Angus, super-stud-racer-son, thats gone to his head :P [smiley=laughing.gif] but the next project will be his bike though.
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,