Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 06:22:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 14
Total: 14
14 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Next Generation  (Read 2044 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Next Generation
« on: December 18, 2004, 01:14:44 am »
For quite a few years, Ive been trying to get my stepsons out of the water and beach/surf/boogie board enviornment and into mountain biking, hunting, archery etc.  as hoped for, peer pressure has won out and done in 5 minutes that it's taken me years of nudging to do.  

the other day my older male teen had a friend that wanted to go mountain biking with some other friends and asked mine to go along.  he sheepishly asked me to use my spare 4500 (carbon crosslink, xtr setup and fox talas r rear shock, koobi saddle) that is hanging unused for a year in the garage.

we went out that evening, pumped up the tires, checked out the brakes, lubed the chain and i gave him the quick lesson (right rear, left launch) on the useage of the brakes.  since, he used to race BMX, i wasn't too concerned about him.

he came back the next day with a smile from ear to ear, endless stories and descriptions and a vow to get into better shape so he can make it up the mountains.  apparently he was also the envy of all the other highschoolers on their hardtails and mtb wannabe bikes.

so now, when the waves aren't good, he's still gone from sunup to after sunset trying to out testerone the next guy.

i think i've lost a bike but gained a son in the process - - - - seems like a pretty good trade to me.  
the younger one just asked to head out to the archery range to see about picking off a few rabbits.

life is good -

OP
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 01:20:33 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

will

Re: Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 09:41:20 am »
OP
Lucky you... been trying to keep my young girls interested in the bikes and forest sports, but it's an uphill battle.

Shooting hogs and gutting deer is taking a distant last place to lip gloss and Avril Levign (or whoever)!

Also nice to know others are on board here who are politically incorrect enough to know a broadhead from 30-06.

Actually I've been working on quieting down my bike so I can use it for deer hunting. Might be a good combination of activities.

Cheers,
Will

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Next Generation
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 04:44:10 am »
certain areas in the apache indian reservations in arizona are closed to motorized traffic during elk season and others are designated primative areas and are permanent.  

in addition, one of the spots in colorado where i've taken many rifle and archery elk in the past, has recently been reclassified  'non motorized' (motorcycles, 4-wheel things) on some of the better ridges - approximately 12 square miles of prime public land.

my mountain bike will be with me next year to get in and out on the fire roads

OP
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 04:45:07 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -