Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:27:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54
54 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: flying with Evo  (Read 2106 times)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
flying with Evo
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:02:25 am »
I just booked my flights/bus to Moab for the end of the month and am trying to figure out how to get my Evo there. I don't have a bike bag/box but even if I did I would not feel too happy about paying $80 each way on AA, which is what they charge for bicycles/oversize baggage. I also might have to pay excess to get to the usa on Air Ja, but they tend to be less strict and we got through last year with no hassle. If I can stuff my Evo into a 62" box then it will be treated as normal baggage. Has any ever tried this to see if it can work? I figure I can easily make a wheel box within those dimensions ie width+length+ht=62" as one piece of luggage. for the frame I will try removing the fork, undoing one of the shock bolts and moving the swingarm up, i will take off the rear der by removing the hanger, and will probably need to take off the rear disc brake. I will not release any cables but will just wrap all the dangly bits and tape/zip tie along the frame, so it will be a quick reassembly without need for any major readjusting. One thing I am not sure about is the chainrings/cranks. It looks as though I will have to take off the large and maybe the middle ring and the pedals definately have to come off, so I guess it will be easier just to pull off the whole crankset with pedals intact, I'll have to see if I can find my ISIS tool!

If I can manage it I'll have a pretty nifty bike box, bear in mind that a normal bike box is 110-115", almost twice the size, and even though the disaasembly is a hassle,it is not very technical and at least my bike will get a good clean and relube every time I travel [I am not good at regular maintainence so that is a plus].I am going to play around with it this weekend to see what can work. I will use steel edges [the 'L' section stuff] riveted to 1/4" ply, I might put some black formica on there so it looks cool and as a backdrop for all the free stickers I intend to get at the Moab fat tire festival. Aluminum would be better but time/availability/money make steel the choice, wt shouldn't be an issue, I am allowed 50lbs per pc of baggage. Now where am I going to put my clothes/helmut etc?

The airlines are really sh*tty when it comes to bikes, they will allow a golf bag which is heavy, awkward to pack, and much bigger than the 62" but make cyclists pay, even though a standard bike box is not much bigger than regular luggage. I am sure most of us would be happy to carry only one pc of checked baggage if they would waive the excess fee; so we wouldn't be overfilling/weighting the cargo area.

Anyone else going to Moab for the FTF ?

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
Re: flying with Evo
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:25:06 am »
I was in Vegas for the interbike,actually thats where i live, and saw a bunch of the pro riders using huge size suitcases for their bikes.............I guess, like that a suitcase is a suitcase  ;D

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: flying with Evo
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 08:54:04 am »
Yeh a friend who will be meeting us in Moab has one of those bike bags that looks like a suitcase. I think he still ends up paying xs, but gets away with it sometimes. It probably depends on the person who you checks you in, I guess you try to look for the guy with the Fox t-shirt and the goatee, rather than the 55yo hiker who got hit by a freerider the weekend before [smiley=laughing.gif]

my custom bike box is being made, it will be a few inches over the 62 but hopefully no-one will be that anal to get a tape measure out.