Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 11:19:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16
16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help me find a good chain!  (Read 2898 times)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Help me find a good chain!
« on: September 30, 2004, 01:25:20 pm »
Well, Maybe its just me but I just seem to tear chains apart! This is for a Shimano XT mega 9 speed rear derailer... I am not running a front derailer.  Currently I am running a Shimano XT 9speed chain.  

My biggest problem probably is stretching. after 5months of riding my chain basically falls off of the chainrings. its so loose.

Does anybody have experience with a non shimano chain that won't stretch (at least as much as the ruberband shimano chains!) [smiley=disbelief.gif] Seriously, though I was looking at the KMC X9 (it says its strechproof) But at MTBR pretty much every chain gets bad reviews. So I am kind of stuck on what chain to get.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Help me find a good chain!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 04:22:05 pm »
I have broken shimano chains but never a Sachs/SRAM chain.

maybe you are just a bull on thay bike! ;D

[smiley=beer.gif]

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 05:10:58 pm »
" maybe you are just a bull on thay bike!"

Thats probably true!  [smiley=laughing.gif]

Yeah, I was looking at the SRAM 89r 9speed chain. It got pretty good reviews on www.mtbr.com I would probably get a Sachs but I can't find anybody online that sells them.

Gallery: http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Kevins19
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 05:19:48 pm by Kevins19 »

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:43:34 pm »
I am using shimano XTR chains and get around 4-6 months before a chains.

My friends at the biike shop keep telling me I am throwing money away and should use a Sram chain. I have never used one but have also never heard a bad thing about them.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 12:16:38 am »
Your weight and pedaling style have more to do with it than the chain itself. I'm a lightweight rider and I rarely stand on the pedals, and my chains last forever. In fact, I've NEVER worn one out. I've used shimano, sram, and Z-chains. My single speed currently has my old SACHS chain from my road bike that I've been using since 1992! It's not even 1/32" stretched yet. Then again, I also, thoroughly clean and lube my chains way too often...

I'd say, if you're hard on chains, just get the cheapest ones you can and replace them often. If you're waiting until they're so loose they practically fall off, you're waiting too long (and may need to replace your chainrings and cassette as well since worn teeth can stretch a chain in no time at all).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:17:37 am by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 12:39:19 am »
" If you're waiting until they're so loose they practically fall off, you're waiting too long"

Unfortuanetly, when you are in college... bike parts come a bit down on the list. If you know what I mean!  [smiley=disbelief.gif]

About pedalling style, I do pedal hard and fast. Though I am not that big of a guy, I have pretty strong legs from playing hockey my entire life. So that probably has something to do with it.

I think I decided to give the SRAM PC-89r non hollowpin chain a try. Thanks everybody for the help.

I am getting ready to overhaul my bike now that I graduated. New chain, grips, handbar, tires, front tube. Some basic parts. Next, I am picking up a Shimano Saint Crank and Disc brakes. To go along with my frame modifications... Check out the first pic in my gallery to se what I am talking about.

Gallery: http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Kevins19

debaucherous@hotmail.com

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 01:10:35 am »
 If you are in college and $ is tight go with the cheapest SRAM chain you can find.  They weigh a little more, but are durable - besides, you are young and the more weight you carry the faster us old guys look. [smiley=laughing.gif]

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 04:24:24 am »
I never paid much attention to which chain I buy, I usually just pick the cheapest that is compatible, but when I think about it, I do trash Shimano ones pretty quickly, go with the Sram . And don't worry about weight, it looks like you bypassed the wt weenie stage some time ago.The picture looks great but I am not sure how much good the gussets will be, the headtube will still be the same, so maybe prone to ovalising. In fact I think I've ovalised mine using a 130mm sc fork. I would recommend you stick a heavy duty headset in there,like the steel Chris King with flanges that insert way into the headtube to provide extra support. Better yet, buy a DH bike, it'll probably end up cheaper! Do you run the boxxer at 6 or 7" ?

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Help me find a good chain!http://www.roteccycl
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 04:43:49 am »
Yeah, I am not really concerned about weight. THe heavier it is the more of a work out I get!  :o

Usually I never paid attention to chains either, but I was hoping to get one that would last longer.

About the gussets, they will be just fine... I am ordering a sheet of 1/8" 6061 T6 Plate aluminum! It will be major overkill, but thats the way I like it.  [smiley=nod.gif]

The bottom gusset will be like a triangle that I will bend around a 1" or 1-1/8" or so tube down the middle and then place in between the downtube and top tube. Very close to the Rotec Moto DH bottom gusset.

Link: http://www.roteccycles.com/home.htm

For the front gusset I will make the gusset in two peices and actually wrap the front of the gussets around the head tube then weld the front seem and sides. With 1/8" 6061 T6 plate it will never bend, thats prob. 3times the thickness of the frame tube.

For the Headset I am ordering a FSA Pig DH Pro with the 22mm cups so it will also help even out the stress. THe King is too much! the Steelset with the extra long flanges is like $130.00 and the Pig DH Pro is $54.00.

I could just buy a new frame, but there is no fun in that. I like building things anyway. That is the main reason for doing this. I eventually plan to make my own fram from scratch so this will be some practice. ;D

BTW - the boxxer is set up as 6" right now. Anymore and the head angle would probably too slack. But with the new shock I might change it to 7" when I rebuild it and do the blackbox upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 04:45:25 am by Kevins19 »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 05:20:36 am »
Have a look a these,I haven't tried one myself but I've read that there highly rated,
Mind they range from £7.99 upto a mind boggling
£229.99  :o thats around $430 U.S for a chain woh
ConneX wippermann chains
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/categories.asp?numcats=2&category1=Chains&categery2=Chains+spares_Spares
Simon
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 05:30:52 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 12:25:16 pm »
if you are not running a front d,make sure your chainline is optimum for your "normal gear".If you crosschain and mash the pedalsi it is very easy to wreck a chainwrong gear,stand up and mash will "break" a chain like....snap
kiwi proflex rider