Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2024, 02:36:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mounting Disc Tabs on Girvin Forks  (Read 2884 times)

Will

Mounting Disc Tabs on Girvin Forks
« on: September 12, 2004, 05:46:59 am »
Folks,

Maybe I missed this in the How To's, but I'm kind of stumped on this one...

Since I'm rebuilding my linkage forks I'd like to remove the old cantilever tabs and put on a disc tab. Since the Girvin fork legs have a roughly semi-circular cross section, this will be more complex than a tubular sleeve.

Has anyone tried riveting a disc mount to these forks in the same way the canti mounts are fastened? This seems like a promising idea...

Cheers,

Will

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Mounting Disc Tabs on Girvin Forks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 06:59:58 am »
Check out OP's gallery, he has a clamp on front disc mount and I think a bonded one pictured there for a vector and a crosslink fork.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

colinv

• Journeyman
  • LFC till I die!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 07:11:03 am »
Hi M8, if you are in the UK, I have the bits for it already made up, I have recently changed my ELT's for a set of PACE RC38s, so if you want the nits and some info I can send it to you
K2 carbon, XTR mechs, XT v-brakes, Mavi cross ride wheels, XT chainset and lovely Pace RC38LTs.
Custom built Cougar, Ultegra allover for those roadie days

uk856

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 02:49:32 am »
Any chance of sending me details/bits to convert front forks, I have been wrestling with this problem for a while

Thanks

Neil

dan

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 06:23:51 am »
Hi guys,
           check out my gallery under Junkster. Mind works fine. Best thing to use is JB Weld epoxy steel type bond to secure it, since it will move even if tightly bolted on otherwise. I am sure someone could do a better job than I've done, (much lighter for a start), but it seems to work ok. Caution: I have been warned than girvins (especially vectors) aren't really great candidates for disc brakes. I do suggest a brace is used, (picked my alloy brace, (fits between the V-brake bosses) for £3)

email me if you have any more queries.

cheers,
Dan

dan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 06:25:33 am »
ps oh yeah, and if you are creating an IS standard mount as opposed to a postmount, (as you can see from my pics I did the IS and then made an additional adapter to convert to Postmount), it is far easier.

cheers,

Dan

dan

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 06:41:30 am »
you want to look halfway down the junkster gallery for the pic titled "OLD - before the Julies came this new adapter *"

This is the one before the postmount adapter was added on. 3 parts of aluminium - very light and strong.

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 12:38:18 am »

here is a pic - Dan  [smiley=evil.gif]