Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 05:21:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Noleen Mega Air fork - stiction?  (Read 2062 times)

brianl

Noleen Mega Air fork - stiction?
« on: October 07, 2004, 05:53:25 am »
Before a ride, after cleaning the dust off the stanchions and wipers, my fork seems nice and smooth. Late in the ride, the fork seems to stiffen up, and is no longer smooth at all. There is usually a film of dust stuck to the stanchions. After cleaning, it's fine again.

I've been injecting PrepM into the microlube ports occasionally, and even took it apart the other day - there was very black grease around the seals/wipers, which I removed and replaced with clean PrepM. After yesterday's ride, same problem returned. I hoped for more than 1 ride after cleaning...

Has anyone found that PrepM just doesn't work without boots to keep the dust off? Are my wipers shot? Is there another grease you guys use which works better with this fork?

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Noleen Mega Air fork - stiction?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:52:22 am »
The grease you're using is to thick,I was warned about this prior to purchasing these forks,Carbonangus is the best one to contact for suitable lubes available to you,I'm using Pace Progel RC7 grease on both mine and my son's mega air forks and with regular wiping off the stanchions and the very occasional grease injection (don't over do it)things are kept smooth and sweet,best bet is to remove your sliders,clean out all the old grease,re assemble with more suitable lube and things should be fine.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Noleen Mega Air fork - stiction?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:17:23 am »
I would recommend "Slick Honey" for lubing through the grease ports and on rebuilds. Do not use PrepM

I have carried a rag along to wipe down in the middle of a ride, especially after a rebuild or greasing

Don't over grease. (i've done it)

If you have stichion after cleaning and before a ride, try squirting some tri-flow or similar, clean and you will be good to go, but you will alwyas get accumualtion on those sliders.

You may be greasing too much. Grease only goes for the bearing area (right where the grease ports are)and assembly of most parts of the fork and o-rings. If it's accumulating any where else (like under the wiper), you are over greasing.

[smiley=beer.gif]