Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 08:20:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 5th element for Animal?  (Read 2575 times)

Dave_Wilson

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
5th element for Animal?
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:50:28 am »
I was looking for something with less weight and pedal bob than my way large Animal, so I got an XL Cannondale Scalpel frame off eBay and built it up.  I've been riding it, but it's pretty uncomfortable.  It really beats me up just going over logs and small jumps.  I miss my big couch-like Animal and my comfy upright position.

So I was wondering if there is a 5th element or one of these other new pedal damping shocks that will fit my Animal.  And if so, where could I find one?

thanks,
Dave

jimbo

Re: 5th element for Animal?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 12:59:56 pm »
Retro fitting the newer shocks to the older frame is not worth it.

Trade your Animal frame and Scalpel for another frame that can fit the newer shocks like the Jekyl or something.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 02:59:20 pm »
I'm gonna have to agree with Jimbo on this one. Obviously you're looking for something that is more of a trail bike than the Scalpel (Anyone who tells you the Scalpel is a great trail bike - and I've heard it before - ain't riding very rough trails!)

The Animal, though great in its day, and not a heck of a lot different functionally than some of the barely more recent K2/Proflex offerings (like my '98 5000), is a real pain to fit shocks to. The frame design just doesn't allow a lot of shocks to work and it's likely that nothing compatible will be available in a couple more years. To my knowledge, none of the "stable platform" type shocks would fit it without some serious custom machining (which may be fun for some, but probably not easy).

Something newer from K2 might fit the bill perfectly (like a Lithium). I'm also a big fan of the Jekyll. My bro-in-law just bought a brand new 2004 Jekyll 1000 with Lefty Max for $1600. That's a lot of bike for the money and much more comfy than the Scalpel!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 12:32:37 am »
don't recall, how long is the animal shock - eye to eye?

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Dave_Wilson

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:45:33 am »
Just measured it at 11.5".  That doesn't sound like a common size.

I've actually been looking at Jekylls on eBay.  I think maybe a little more travel than the Scalpel would be good.  I've been building up a different frame from eBay every month or so, but I keep coming back to my Animal.  It's heavy, but I feel no fear launching it off a medium-size jump.

A friend of mine got one of the Razorback frames off e-discountbike.com, and really likes it.  Especially the rear shock lock-out for the sugar sound around here.  I tried his bike, but as I'm 6'4" it just didn't fit, and e-discountbike doesn't have the XLs.

Dave

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:31:29 pm »
 Risse Racing makes an air shock for the Animal not sure if it has a lockout, SPV no for sure. The Animal uses the shock w/ a "jack shaft" I think it is called that or really long tailshaft. I have heard the Jekylls arn't the strongest frames, I currently ride an XL Enduro and it's an excellent fit for me @ 6'4". There just arn't many XL frames frames out there for taller riders unless you spend $$$. I'd like to try a Heckler as it has similar geometry to the Enduro just a stronger frame.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 05:43:30 pm »
Personally, I think the Jekyll frames are pretty tough -very stiff laterally. But 3 or 4 of my larger friends (the 200lb+ club) switched from the Jekyll to the Gemini (mostly for the extra travel before the Jekyll went to 5"), and they really liked the Gemini. It has a little more travel than the Jekyll (6" in the rear), but with the 5" Lefty Max fork (which I think is the best fork made) and a Fox air shock in the rear, most of them had their bikes weighing under 29 lbs. One even had his down in the 27lb range (although I thought it looked ridiculous with those tiny tires). You won't be damaging a Gemini frame any time soon - it's a really tough frame. You could launch to your heart's delight!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 01:11:09 am »
of my  6' 4" friends, including my neighbor BOB, one rides a middle aged GT that he likes, BOB moved to a Santa Cruz Blur and one is on a Fisher Sugar - all are quite happy - no structural damage to date and all are 200# plus.

OP

It'd be nice to find a shock tho that would fit - longest i remember seeing around are some of the extra long fox rc's at 9.5" plus and maybe a 5th or two in that range as well - maybe an adapter would help.
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 03:38:53 am »
I don't think that just a long eye to eye would do the trick. You need the shaft on the end to fit through the small hole in the seat tube. I've never seen any other frames with a similar shock design.