Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:26:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex Elastomer Melt Down!  (Read 3368 times)

banger

• Novice
Proflex Elastomer Melt Down!
« on: September 01, 2003, 08:41:37 am »
Noticed something on the floor this afternoon in my garage
underneath where my bike has been hanging during the sweltering Va Beach heat this summer! Some kind of yellow goo.

I look up and guess what I see? A drippy gooey mess long the
frame starting from the rear shock leading to the front fork.

The elastomers on the rear had completely melted off and the
elastomers on the front where drooping. I guess it was hotter
towards the top of the garage roof where the rear wheel hangs
and thats why the front elastomers where just drooping.

If anyone is interested or can't believe this could happen, take a look at my gallery. I have a few pictures posted there. What
a mess eh?

This little tragedy caused me to start looking for replacement parts to get me riding this fall and I stumbled onto this fine
site. So I joined and posted the pictures.

Now the real questions:

I am looking at getting the Risse Genesis Front and Astro-5
rear shock setup. Has anyone run this combo? Or,
can I get some comments/opinions on these shocks as replacements for the elastomer? I have an 855, so I don't
know if these units will work. The Risse site said they will, but
I'm looking for some real world input from real riders.

Thanks for any incite you guys might have on this.

banger

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
Re: Proflex Elastomer Melt Down!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 01:06:52 pm »
Banger, I have an 855 too! and am new to this great site.I have just ordered a second hand genesis for $80 USD for the front end and plan to get an astro 5 for the rear. I think Dennis has one for sale too (New)They will definately fit! (what wishbone do you have on the rear?).
At this stage i cant offer any rear world feedback on how they respond but from all accounts thay are great shock. Its a pity the Astro 5 doesnt fit on the front end!This is something i want to try for myself. If you want a reliable person to order the shocks from you can email Bill Larsen. I dont have his email handy. Scott i think has it...
Deano.
DH

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 01:28:57 pm »
hey deano,

where did you order the genisis from?

i to am looking for a rear shock replacement.  Anything cheap will do
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 01:46:37 pm »
banger,

just saw the pics of your bike.  pretty nasty stuff.....what kind of shock did you have?

it would have been cool if you had before and after pictures
03 Razorback

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 08:06:19 pm »
ok here is the info you guys need.You can order direct fron risse themselves,just make sure you get the correct  shocks.The x55 bikes have a different strut to shock interface than the x56 and later bikes although if you go to the risse site they appear to list the x56 bikes with the x55 bikes.The x56 and later bikes have a kind of conical indentation in the strut itslf where the x55 bikes dont.I think risse actually make a cone end shock for the x57 and 98 world cup bikes and as far as i know these shocks will also fit the x56  bikes.The cone end shock will NOT fit the x55 bikes unless they happen to have a later model strut .Also as far as the front shock is concerened a crosslink shock wont fit a vector 2 fork.If you look back through the recent posts there is a shock(nr4) which will fit any x56 and later bike (unless your x55 has alater strut)and someone also has a shock to suit a girvin vector which the x55 and x56 bikes had.The x57 had the 97 crosslinkthe crosslink shock wont fit the vector.proflex rissse fitments
kiwi proflex rider

banger

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 06:42:20 am »
Ok, here is an update for the replacement shocks from Risse.

I called today and spoke with Kevin and he gave me
the scoop for 855 fitment.

The Genesis is the only shock they make that will fit the Vector Fork. This is a direct bolt in unit that requires no modification. It is air adjustable via a schrader valve set up. This is the unit I bought but they are back ordered until next Tuesday.

You have a choice between the Genesis, Astro-5, and Terminator for the rear strut shock. For the 855 this is a direct bolt on unit that requires no modification. The 856 and up bikes require a "Freedom Plate" adapter to fit, as mentioned by Kiwi.

I orderd the Astro-5 shock for the "on the fly" adjustability and I have read here that the Terminator has an irritating clicking noise. This unit was in stock, so I had them ship it out today so at least I could get the rear strut done this weekend.

I was told that the Risse rear shock will stiffen the rear swing arm against lateral movement compared to the stock elastomer set up. This would make sense to me as the stock shock strut the the elastomers sat around looks pretty thin when they are gone. We will have to see if there is any noticeable increase in rigidty in the rear swing arm.

I will update on my impressions with this set up, but
I chose this for the riding conditions that are local to
me in the Tidewater area. Alot of Single Track XC, mixed in with mostly moderate down hill work.

Thanks for the comments so far! This forum has been a big help for me.

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 08:02:24 am »
 8) Looks like your on the right track. I am in the process of upgrading a 856 with almost the same set up.
When you get it all done please post a ride update and installation update as well.
I would be interested on your progress keep us informed with a post or two.  8)
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 08:41:45 am »
are the 857 and 3000 rear shocks interchangable?

one is a large and one is a way big

both noleen
03 Razorback

deano

• Novice
  • J3.16
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 02:01:42 pm »
For Risse and other parts Bill Larson at http://wlarson@stdairy.com. He's reliable and gave me a $200 quote on a Risse Astro 5.
DH

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 08:00:14 pm »
the shock should swap between the 857 and 3000 with absolutely no problem!It is exactly the same frame.I have an idea that the 3000 is actually the 957 which was supposedly a higher quality frame(build and material)
kiwi proflex rider

mfgp

• Novice
  • Man, it's WAY too flat around here!
;DRe: Proflex Elastomer Melt Down!
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 06:11:07 am »
The same thing happened to my 755 about a year and a half ago, except it was the front that went first.  It happened in the back of my car.  Nasty!  [smiley=bleh.gif]  That stuff is not real easy to clean up.  [smiley=diaper.gif]

I ended up upgrading the front to a Duke Race fork and ordering new elastomers from K2 for the rear.  My 755 is a non WC frame, and Risse (or anyone else) did not have a replacement shock so the elastomers were a must.  I finally got tired of that and bought an 856 frame off of ebay, which has some kind of Noleen shock.  I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to a Genesis damper.  The frame is a medium size....didn't someone here tell me that with the upper part of the shock being attached the way it is on that frame (bolt hole is embedded in the top tube) that I might need a special shock or adapter?  Or was for a Noleen replacement?

Any info is appreciated.  ;D      
mfgp

banger

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 05:28:13 am »
mfgp,
  You can go the risse site and look up the Genesis
shock for the 856 and see that it does require an
adapter. I they call it the freedom adapter.

banger.