Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:12:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
22 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Chain Cleaning Frequency.....  (Read 2431 times)

Irby

• Apprentice
  • live to ride ride to live....(old dirtbike mantra)
Chain Cleaning Frequency.....
« on: August 26, 2003, 01:09:39 am »
I have run the gambit on chain cleaning....from never to about weekly. With the advent of the sram power links, which tolerate indefinite separation, I find that keeping the chain very clean is a big help in terms of reducing wear and crisp shifting. If you think your chain is "clean", apply some of your favorite lube and then clasp the chain where it draps under the stay and "twist" it. Even a clean (on the outside) chain gets loaded with grit very quickly. Dan

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Chain Cleaning Frequency.....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 03:41:30 am »
Have to agree, clean mine (still on the bike) after every ride and re-lube, I never seem to suffer with any chain related problems infact never even concider that I'm going to get a problem, I know there are some who change there chains regularly (about 3 times ayear) I tend to change my chain and cassette once ayear, never found any undue wear yet in the chain rings(Middleburn CNC rings) though after 3 years they may soon be due for replacement.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 07:53:18 am »
Dan.....from previous posts here i have converted to "ProLink" on my mtn and road bikes. You can over-dress a chain with lube and then it gets all gunky, no matter what you are using.

ProLink has left a  8) chainring tattoo on my calf a few times, but it cannot be beat for longevity and lubricating factors.

I dress it, wipe it off, ride it..wipe it occasionally, amazing stuff, lasts a long time

a clean drievetrain lasts a long time, too. bikes love foreplay :-*
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 07:53:54 am by carbon_angus »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 09:16:46 pm »
Dan you must have strong fingers to wring your chain out..I have never managed that ;D and carbon good to se you are hanging on to your PRO flex roots....
kiwi proflex rider

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 03:19:12 pm »
Time for a roadie story.  I remember riding with a straight roadie (did not mountain bike) years ago.  I had been riding mountain bikes and decided to race road bikes and try to be a cat 4.  He was an engineer (no offense) and one day described his chain cleaning technique.  He used three containers of solvent and would start with one and clean then soak the chain for a day.  Moving to the next one the next day and finally to the third container.  Then he would roll the chain up and drop it from as high as he could reach on to concrete to knock out even more grime.  Now if I had the time, I would ride more ;D

I just wipe my chain off real good after a ride, lube it then wipe again prior to the next ride.  After 4 months I change the chain.  If I get in a muck fest, I use the hose and clean all the mud off then do the same as above.  Seems to work.  I ride 12 months out of 12.   [smiley=blankstare.gif]

Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 01:34:38 am »
i've yet to figure out the chain maintainence issue - it always seems to change with the conditions, 'inahurry' time as i'm dropping off the bike in the garage in the a.m. and heading off to work, amount of muck on the bike as i check it out when dismounting at home, color of my mood ring, etc.

usually i save my old white tennis shoe socks that have holes in them, turn them inside out and use them in the garage for bike wipe rags.  that way i can stick my hand inside the sock when wiping down chains and such.  i'll wipe down the chain, lube and let dry prior to each ride - unless i've hosed the bike after a mudder and then i'll do it prior to putting the bike up.

every now and then, 'bout two weeks or so, i'll run it though the chain cleaning (pedros etc., i can't remember what brand it is) machine with a little solvent in it, wipe down thoroughly and reapply the lube of the day.

OP

(sure would like to see some realtime pics of dominics oz surgery)
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -