Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 03:27:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 55
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50
50 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Disc brake dilemna?  (Read 4589 times)

jimbo

Re: Disc brake dilemna?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 07:41:07 am »
I admit a lot of the trouble comes from poor braking technique. I did have a couple of freinds, which are V brakes users sample my brakes. All stated the performance was much better than V's but a little grabby. I'll just have to practice my braking, as I really don't want to go back to V's, nor do I want to dump my XTR brake / shifters for pods n' Avids.

A couple thoughts.  

I noticed that after breaking in the Avids, they feel real strong, maybe even little grabby.  After more usage the brakes are still strong, but not as grabby.

Another thing is after I switched to Avids, I also switched to single finger braking.  It felt weird at first, but I stuck with it.  My braking is definitely better with single finger and I now have four fingers hanging on to the bar.  If you do decide to try single fingering, do it in easy braking areas.  The transition was difficult, but worth it for me.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Disc brake dilemna?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 08:07:28 am »
some good ideas but the best one is adjust the throw of the brake lever and learn to ride singletrack. it's different than fireroads.  i always have trouble adjusting myself, too.