Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 03:20:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Aahemmmm! - as i was saying - - -  (Read 2612 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Aahemmmm! - as i was saying - - -
« on: August 04, 2003, 07:23:37 am »
so i've got this fox talas r air shock heading my way and if it works well i may switch things over -

b.t.w. - i was having a problem shifting with my mega 9 derailler into and out of the middle chainring when pressure applied to the chain.  i tried adjusting the barrel adjusters but when it slipped quickly into the small ring, i couldn't get enough throw to get to the middle under a little chain stress. and, when i got it easily into the middle, it wouldn't dump into the small easily.

so - after reading an article in one of my new bike mags about the new rotor cranks that eliminate dead zone on the crank pressure (the arms move forward out of the zone and enhance time in pedal pressure), i tried out using my "DREMEL!" and taking down two teeth just a smidge at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions in relation to the crank arms.  this has facilitated my 'under pressure' shifting a good deal and eliminated the problem.

when going from mid to small ring under crank pressure, the chain now slips neatly off as it rides over the now slightly lowered 2 teeth as the derailler is exerting side pressure on the chain in that direction.  and vice versa, when moving up to the mid ring, the chain now slides neatly over one of the now two opposite spots on the chain ring to engage.

just thought i'd pass that along

OP
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 01:18:05 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jimbo

Re: Aahemmmm! - as i was saying - - -
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 07:46:55 am »

so - after reading an article in one of my new bike mags about the new cranks that eliminate dead zone on the crank pressure (the arms move forward out of the zone and enhance time in pedal pressure), i tried out using my "DREMEL!" and taking down two teeth just a smidge at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions in relation to the crank arms.  this has facilitated my 'under pressure' shifting a good deal and eliminated the problem.
OP

What position is your cranks when you DREMEL?  Horizontal ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 11:26:33 am by jimbo »

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 11:12:31 am »
OP,
please keep us (me,esp.) up to date on  your progress with the talas r rear shock. I am really diggin' my talas r fork and was thinking of the talas rear for next year.
I am a bit bummed that I got the fork right away, even though it has been a total revelation, in that I hear that next year's talas forks will be available with the inertia valve. That would take care of the problem of whether to have lock out or not.
I bet they will have an inertia valve for the talas rear eventually too.
seems to be the future of suspension.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

proflexGB

• Novice
  • Back in Blighty
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 11:43:52 am »
Dennis, u seen anything about using the adjustment on the RLC "lockout" as an inertia system?
I read in a mag this week about setting the blue lockout knob at the bottom to all the way out and then setting the fork to "locked out" mode, so it rides hard until the blow off is overcome?

Makes sense as the lockout on the RLC uses the same system as the "X".

I havn't tried it yet but am gonna give it a try next ride out.

What d ya think?

Nigel .....

Two Proflex K2 5500 's, FOX Floats 100 and 80 up front, SID RACE and Float Talas rears, Spinergys, XTR, CT2s, B4 SLs, ti bolts, Next LP cranks, Ti Eggbeaters......

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 01:30:30 pm »
GB,
I saw that in MBR. I have the R model, so it doesn't apply to my fork, but sounds interesting.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 01:17:09 am »

What position is your cranks when you DREMEL?  Horizontal ???

actually about 30 degrees counter clockwise and get in there from the left side of the bike, 'tween the rear wheel and the derailler area.  i wanna put some good hard miles on this setup before passing judgement - seems to ease shifting in just the last few rides tho'

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 05:55:30 am »
Keep us posted on the Talas & the miles on the dremel rings. I wouldnt mind hearing the staus after a few hundred miles. Keep on riding!  8)
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856