Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 04:17:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear Shock Questions  (Read 3260 times)

Jeff77

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Rear Shock Questions
« on: July 14, 2003, 12:10:16 pm »
Hello,

I am considering replacing the rear shock on my EVO 4.0. I wuld like it to be an easy replacement (minimal mods). I am considering a Risse (Astro) or Stratos (pro) as I have read good reports here about both. I am wondering how the ride qualities vary between the two brands. I have decided to make the EVO my primary bike instead of buying a new one and I look forward to being a regular contributing member! Cool site!

Thanks ;D

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Rear Shock Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 11:24:56 pm »
Welcome Jeff!

I happen to have both an Astro-5 and a Helix pro, both of which are great shocks. If you're overly concerned about weight, I'd go with the Astro, as it is considerably lighter. If you're more of a trail rider, who likes rough trails and occasional drops, the Helix is the way to go. It is nice and plush and feels like it never bottoms out thanks to the air assist. This isn't to say that the Astro isn't plush, it's just not quite as "soft" as the Helix on small chatter bumps. Works great though and provides an easily adjustable lightweight ride. I've got the older version, and I've heard that the newer ones are even better.

Your other main option is a Fox Vanilla RC (assuming you have a large frame) or Vanilla R (if you have small/medium). It requires very minimal modifications and is supposedly an awesome shock. Search the archives here for more info.

Good luck!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 01:58:13 am »
I have the van r on my med evo 4, works well and bolts right on once you have the correct bushings. the only adjustment is the rebound and that works well, slowing reduces bob. this shock feels like it can take abuse [and has!], the helix might be better on the small bumps tho but I have mine set up with a stiff spring cos i like drops. you can pick up a van r on mtbr/ebay for about $100, certainly a big improvement over the NR.

debaucherous

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 05:11:31 am »
I have a related shock question that I hope you all can help me with.  I've read that the Vanilla RC can't be used on a medium EVO, but I have the medium  Proflex/K2 4000 with an aluminum swingarm.  It has the Noleen coil over with the resevior like the Vanilla RC.  Will the Vanilla RC mount OK to the meduim 4000?

Thanks for the help.  I've learned a lot while lurkin'.  

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 08:20:33 am »
I have a related shock question that I hope you all can help me with.  I've read that the Vanilla RC can't be used on a medium EVO, but I have the medium  Proflex/K2 4000 with an aluminum swingarm.  It has the Noleen coil over with the resevior like the Vanilla RC.  Will the Vanilla RC mount OK to the meduim 4000?

Thanks for the help.  I've learned a lot while lurkin'.  

Actually you can use the Fox Vanilla RC on a small/medium Evo frame if you use a 24 inch rear wheel.  The RC has to be mounted with the resevior down which interferes with a 26 inch tire.  

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 09:30:40 am »
Seems to me whatever you chose Risse Stratos or maybe Fox you wont go far wrong with any of them, I've just got a Risse (air) apart from its performance what also attracted it to me was the abilitity to service it at home, supplied with a custom build,bolts straight on,they been making shocks for Proflex/K2 for a long time and they have a good back up reputation, I expect the other brands can offer as much but I've made my choice and happy with it.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 09:31:45 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
ANOTHER Rear Shock Questions
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 01:21:08 pm »
I have a disco monkey that I upgraded with a vanilla R, just 'machine down' the bushings ($15) and works GREAT!! but sometimes I wish I have a stiffer spring, I'm using a 550, and is kind of soft for the drops and bounces too much pedaling, I weight 180 (geared up) should I go for a 650? or 600 will be enough?? I know its hard to say but ......I got to try ;D

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 03:09:05 am »
I have a Vanilla RL from E-bay that has been great...just had to buy bushings from Fox to make it fit(with a bit of filing)
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 03:54:15 am »
A medium EVO can use a Fox RC in the 7 7/8" lenght with a 26" wheel. With a 8 1/2" lenght shock, you would have to run a 24" rear wheel.

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 06:27:07 am »
7 7/8" on a 26" wheel? how is it that the shorter one would fit it with the larger wheel?  

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 07:39:19 am »
phillip, I never heard that about the med Evo/rc, I you speaking from experience or do you have a source!

lokomonkey, I am about the same wt and am using the same shock/spring. At first I thought it was too soft and was thinking of a 600, but after a few months i have decided that it's fine, doesn't bob much if you slow the rebound. Having said that I don't attack much uphill, tend to sit and spin. Also it is going to depend on how big and numerous the drops are. Biggest I do is about 4' to flat but that is not every ride.If you're nailing BIG drops on a  regular basis go with the 650. [smiley=nod.gif]

jimbo

Re: ANOTHER Rear Shock Questions
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 09:05:20 am »
I have a disco monkey that I upgraded with a vanilla R, just 'machine down' the bushings ($15) and works GREAT!! but sometimes I wish I have a stiffer spring, I'm using a 550, and is kind of soft for the drops and bounces too much pedaling, I weight 180 (geared up) should I go for a 650? or 600 will be enough?? I know its hard to say but ......I got to try ;D

Usually you set your spring rate to the recommended amount of sag.  If can't set you sag, then your spring is too strong or too weak.  If you're an aggressive rider who bottoms out the shocka lot , then you may have to go with a stronger spring even with the correct sag.

Usually you can control bob with a tighter rebound setting.  Shock settings are usually compromises.  

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 04:22:46 am »
Numbnuts,
I run a 7.875" Vanilla RC on my medium EVO and it works great.

It is my understanding from numerous posts on this site that the 8.5 " RC will not fit a small or medium Evo with a 26" rear wheel. I believe this may be because the longer RC must be run upside down and the reservoir contacts the tire.

For the record, I have experimented with various springs and found the 700 lb works best for my 195 lbs and XC riding.