Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:16:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50
50 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: I Need Front & Rear Shock Advice For My Pro Flex 856 World Cup Design Bike?  (Read 7456 times)

need856shocks

• Novice
I bought this bike today for $5 at a yard sale if you can believe it & I'm not sure if it can be fixed.  It's awesome looking & I hope I can fix it.  I found this forum & joined because your all experts with pro flex bikes.  I have looked at similar photos & it seems that my bike is missing the springs that go on the shock.  I'm no expert, so I wonder if I only need springs or do i need the whole shocks replaced?  If so, where can I get the parts & is it worth it to fix? 

Thanks!

Full Bike

Back Shock

Back Shock Closeup

Front Shock

Front Shock Closeup

Front View of Front Shock

Crank, Chain, Cassette, Derailer

w2zero

• Master
You can look up the oil replacement for those shocks if you swap to springs.  Your rear spring rate should be about 1.5 times your body weight and the front spring should be about the same as your body weight.  That is a small size frame fwiw.  You can also find the replacement urethane pieces to put in there too if you don't want to fiddle with springs.  Someone will here will chime in with the address for the supplier.

Did I mention that you got an absolutely killer deal?   
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

need856shocks

• Novice
Thank you for your reply back.  I couldn't believe the deal either.  The guy said take it before i change my mind & so I gave him a $5 & took it.  ;D

I am not so technical as you are so I was wondering if you can explain to me in simpler terms what is needed to make this bike work again?  Where I can get the parts?

Thanks

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
That yellow goo on the front shock is the remains of the yellow "springs" that were made of a type of plastic/rubbery stuff sometimes called "MCU"  or "Elastomers".
see an ODS shock (rear) with MCU's:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/firetrain2002/5353959969/
and see a similar bike in original set up:

You can buy some of these "MCU"'s (2 needed per end and of the right density) but these are now very rare and most will have hardened or will have melted like yours seems to have done. There's various other alternatives so search on here for other discussions  for replacements.

Another option is to replace the missing MCU's with coiled springs, I did this on mine with Speedsprings but these are also no longer made.
Generally you need a new spring on each end and also new end caps to hold the springs, although you can generally use the top one.
see mine with titanium springs:

It's worth taking both the ODS's (Oil Damped Shock) off and checking that they have compression resistance, if not, then maybe they can be serviced at home, (again see other threads) or may need to be replaced which is another challenge ( see other threads!).

There's a wealth of experience on here for you to read through and then ask questions to get that bike back working again and it's definitely worth it for $5!

Probably a bit of an issue that it's a small size frame, but it may suit you and if not then maybe a small lady or a child better.

Good luck!

Colin S
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:00:08 am by Colin »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

fyrstormer

• Guru
Replace the rear shock with a Noleen NR-4 from NoleenJ6 or a Risse Racing shock + "freedom plate adaptor", and replace the entire front fork with a newer telescoping unit. The Girvin forks were an interesting idea, but the "J-path" just encourages the front wheel to stall as it rolls over bumps and IMO the bike feels much more stable with a normal fork on it.

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
Have a look at suspensionforkparts.net....
http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=11

They sell replacement elastomer kits for the front and rear suspension.

Search Ebay for "Proflex 855/ 856 Elastomer" and you'll find the same seller.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:51:55 am by jimbob »
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
Dude, you scored!!!
Custom trailer (thanks Papa)

Spokes

• Guru
First choice for me would be to replace the shocks with either Noleenj2 or Risse racing. Second choice would be to fit new elastamers or get springs to suit. And personally I would definately keep the vectors as a Proflex is not a real Proflex if it hasnt got linkage forks (my opinion, but true  ;)). I know some of you disagree but i love the the way they ride and never find the the problems others talk about. You just have to ride within the bikes limits.
It seems crazy to me to buy an old Proflex and then throw away half of what its all about for more modern bits. You might as well just buy a newer better performing bike from the out set and save your self the trouble. The whole point of a Proflex was to be different from the norm, so why change it to be the same as all the rest?  There thats done it!  ;D
Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

mootsguy

• Journeyman
    • US Cycling Report
First choice for me would be to replace the shocks with either Noleenj2 or Risse racing. Second choice would be to fit new elastamers or get springs to suit.

Here, here! I love my Risse Genesis on my 855.

And personally I would definately keep the vectors as a Proflex is not a real Proflex if it hasn't got linkage forks (my opinion, but true  ;)). I know some of you disagree but i love the the way they ride and never find the the problems others talk about. You just have to ride within the bikes limits.
It seems crazy to me to buy an old Proflex and then throw away half of what its all about for more modern bits. You might as well just buy a newer better performing bike from the out set and save your self the trouble. The whole point of a Proflex was to be different from the norm, so why change it to be the same as all the rest?  There thats done it!  ;D
Chris

Well said --  ;D
Man cannot survive on food and water alone, he needs beer!
'94 854
'95 855
'98 AMP B4
'99 Mongoose 10.9
'00 AMP B5