Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 02:14:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Read Review Tirade 5.0 scroll down  (Read 3719 times)

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
Read Review Tirade 5.0 scroll down
« on: July 21, 2003, 03:03:46 pm »
Says, for all around bike , look no further. Rear has 4,5,6 in adj. travel. 32lbs. 1995.00
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 06:35:06 pm by jedoaks »

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: August MBA/ Tirade 5.0 A+
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 03:41:31 am »
more +ve stuff about the tirade, i like that! I have got to check out the review. 32lbs is an acceptable wt,  depends on the specs, I had heard it was heavier which was one thing that put me off before.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 09:46:28 am »
Now that I'm getting used to it, that Tirade is starting to look a little cooler.  8)

The 5.0 is 32lbs with rear air shock. The 4.0 & 6.0 models are significantly heavier with coil springs and other heavier components.

According to the K2 website, the 4.0 weighs 37lbs (with Manitou Black Comp) and the 6.0 weighs 39lbs (with Manitou Sherman Breakout OnePointFive with alloy steertube and 20mm axle).

The 5.0 has a Fox Racing Float R alloy crown/steerer fork with adjustable coil (!!) spring and a Fox Racing Float RC rear shock with adjustable compression and AVA adjustable air volume. It also has Shimano XT disc hubs with Sun Metal Rhyno Lite rims and WTB WeirWolf 2.4" tires. Impressive for a bike that only weighs 32 lbs! Personally, I'd rather go for an air fork to match the rear and save even more weight. Especially since the Fox Air forks are so awesome these days. However, according to Fox's website, their air forx is only available up to 100mm. Darn. A Psylo would be good too though...

On a similar, slightly related note, two of my buddies who have been riding Jekylls are having C'dale Gemini's built up that weigh just over 27 lbs! Our friend who is building them up is a C'dale dealer, and he's been riding a Gemini that weighs 29 lbs That's similar travel to the Tirade, but with a Lefty MAX fork and a Fox rear air shock. The Lefty weighs 4.5lbs and I can only imagine how much better it is now that C'dale licensed the TPC+ technology from Manitou. (In case you don't remember, I posted here that the Lefty was the best fork I've ever used, bar none - and that was the 2001 model). However, I was a bit surprised to see that it actually weighs more than the Vanilla Forx. (4.14lbs according to Fox)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 05:38:22 pm »
 ??? :'(jedoaks, i have the august mba and i can't find any mention of the tirade. can you post where in the issue you read the info? maybe i missed it.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 04:23:44 am »
for a freeridey kinda bike i would rather use oil/coil front and rear, which makes the Tirade heavy. But i hear some of the new rear air shocks are designd for heavy duty stuff. A friend just got a marzocchi Z1 SL which is a freeride air fork, it is sweet and looks like it can handle abuse, and the wt is OK, 130mm travel i think, would work well on Evo i guess, BUT pricey!

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 01:07:38 pm »
??? :'(jedoaks, i have the august mba and i can't find any mention of the tirade. can you post where in the issue you read the info? maybe i missed it.

it's "news" to me, too, bikendan. i am blind to it, too, i guess

however, there is a k2 Razorback 4.0 in the new Bike mag.

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2003, 02:50:27 pm »
jedoaks, i have the august mba and i can't find any mention of the tirade. can you post where in the issue you read the info? maybe i missed it.  

I'm not dreaming, I know I read it somewhere. must be Mountain Bike. Let me find the issue. Sorry about that.

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 05:51:46 pm by jedoaks »

Gordo

• Novice
  • Don't make fun of the stripes
Re: Read Review Tirade 5.0 scroll down
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 02:50:06 pm »
the review is in the Sept. MBA, It is on news stands now.
98 Animal

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2003, 04:42:06 am »
i read a little...thanks for posting this, i won't forget to pick it up....

i guess i have "monstrously low" gear ratios on my Oz, too (22x34) according to the article.  ;D [smiley=laughing.gif]

tankx [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 09:27:52 am »
Yeah, what's up with that? Tons of bikes have that setup. In fact, I'd wager that MOST newer bikes come with a 22/34 combo. (I think any heavy bike that is designed to also be pedalled uphill SHOULD have that ratio). Either way, it's a weird comment coming from RC. It does make the gear ratio sound more powerful than saying "comes with a standard low gear combo of..."
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 09:31:24 am »
wow, where do you guys live? I guess I should get a subscription to MBA because the stores around me still have the August issue, if they carry MBA at all!
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis