Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:22:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57
57 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Who owns the VW Combi behind the 4500?  (Read 6031 times)

fyrstormer

• Guru
Re: Who owns the VW Combi behind the 4500?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 08:42:36 am »
I tell you what, that "if everyone drove VWs" rule only applies to the old ones, 80's and older. Starting in the 90's, VW embarked on a bold mission to over-engineer everything they could and assemble the parts in such a way that you have to do really stupid shit to perform simple repairs. Changing the timing belt on my 99 Passat? Gotta take the bumper off, including the radiator. Replacing suspension arms? Gotta loosen the subframe the engine attaches to and drop it down a couple inches. Need to top-off the A/C refrigerant? Well, you can't just check the pressure and add whatever's necessary, because the compressor has variable compression, so instead you have to drain all the refrigerant into a holding tank and weigh it before topping it off and putting it back in. Hell, even topping-off the coolant requires bleeding air out of the coolant system using a technique that requires tilting the car in order to work properly. They don't care about the little guy anymore, they only care about keeping mechanics employed.

You forgot about changing the battery ...
Nah, the battery's easy. I can change that myself in two minutes; I know, because I've done it three times in five years. No, there are no ground faults. Fortunately I've not been one of those people who've had the battery explode upon starting the car. Oh yes, the starter puts so much drain on the battery that the battery thinks it's a short-circuit, and old batteries have a tendency to blow acid all over the engine bay. mmm, electrolytes...does a body good.

ChilliConCarnage

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Who owns the VW Combi behind the 4500?
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 01:42:05 pm »
I miss my 62 double door panel TII.  I had it slammed to the ground with a full camper interior, 6 Amps, 4 subs, two TVs, a custom high-output alternator, dual batteries, and a DP 1835cc engine.  I also had an original roof rack and tent.

I sold it to a guy a ouple of years ago who turned around and sold it to a marketing agency that was representing a beer company.  They painted a mural on it and sent it across the US in a marketing campaign, along with a bunch of other Type IIs.

I miss it!
MOUNTAIN:
00 K2 Evo 4.0
99 K2 Flying Monkey
03 Salsa Caballero Scandium

ROAD:
06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon
06 Look 555 carbon
06 Fuji Cross Pro

Total of 42 bikes owned in last 5 years