Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:25:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52
52 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Bicycle shoes??????  (Read 3337 times)

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
Bicycle shoes??????
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:46 am »
I've been a skateboarding close to 40 years. I still hit the park every so often. Ive been Mnt. biking around 15 years, alot more here recently. There has always been a pair of old Vans or Airwalk shoes in my closet. So those then became my biking shoes. I use strap type clips that for me work fine. What I'd like to know is there any real benifit the having actual biking shoes?
Custom trailer (thanks Papa)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Bicycle shoes??????
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:30:01 am »
I've been a skateboarding close to 40 years. I still hit the park every so often. Ive been Mnt. biking around 15 years, alot more here recently. There has always been a pair of old Vans or Airwalk shoes in my closet. So those then became my biking shoes. I use strap type clips that for me work fine. What I'd like to know is there any real benifit the having actual biking shoes?
Yes, yes, and more yes.

More efficient pedaling action, and more security when hopping, cornering, descending and such.

As far as unclipping, it becomes natural after a while. Just back out the tension screw, and your shoe will virtually fall out. Over time, you will have to increase tension as the cleats wear. Most times when I take a fall, my shoes just fall out.

And like helmets, I feel naked kinda.

My favorite combo are shimano shoes, and Ritchey "V" pedals. The cheapy ones at about $40 are great to learn on. Just watch out as they don't grease the open bearings. I pull the rubber ring away and fill with spray grease, and away I go.

Terry
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:32:38 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Willie_B

• Master
  • Not old enough to stop playing with toys.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »
Even if don't feel good about going to clipless pedals, the shoe sole is much stiffer. If you notice now your foot/shoe probably wraps around the pedal, with bike shoes the sole does not flex so you have more power going into pedaling and less wasted effort. You can always cut out the bottom of the shoe in the future to go clipless.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gona stay with the toe clips for now. They came on my Attack and I've gotten  used to em. But I am planing going shoe shopping next week (that did not sound right)LOL to check some shoes  out.
                                                                                    Tracy

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:05 pm »
i was there, too, once, but once you go clipless, you won't go back, you don't need to get a pair of SIDI shoes either!

you will be able to pull/pedal with your hamstrings and also develop a better spin (less square) and when you bail, your feet will go where you want them with clipless.

Lysander

• Journeyman
  • Yeah! Just shov'm in the microwave for 30 secs....
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:50:36 am »
One thing to beware of if ye are staying with clips is to get shoes without velcro straps on the front- real pain to use with clips.

spikebender

• Journeyman
  • My 855
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:40 pm »
As are new skate shoes with gummy soles. Found that one out the hard way! lol