Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 12:12:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37
37 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Advice on bringing my 756 back to life?  (Read 2692 times)

LenP

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Advice on bringing my 756 back to life?
« on: July 21, 2003, 07:44:56 am »
Hi, this is a great forum...

I have a 756 with the original shocks (yellow elastomers, no ODS) on it.  Upon taking it out on the trail this summer, I've found that the yellow elastomers (especially in the front) have turned as hard as stone and replacements are difficult to find.  I love this bike so I really want to figure out how to make it work well again.

Anyone have advice on my alternatives?  I know some people have replaced elastomers with noleen shocks or with springs... I guess I can also get a new fork...

Will the LONG noleen crosslink forks you find sometimes on ebay work on the 756?

Thanks!

-Len
Riding a 756, building up an 856

bikendan

• Journeyman
Re: Advice on bringing my 756 back to life?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 11:52:31 am »
elastomers are still available from k2. any bike shop can order them for you. if you are near a REI store, they are real good about orders.
i think you can only go to a spring with the ods. i could be wrong. but springs that fit, are getting hard to find.
the LONG crosslinks will only work on the waybig frames, because of the xtra long headtube.
some of the x56 owners should help. you might want to say which fork you have. vector I or II?

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 09:35:30 pm »
you mean kinda like this......I replaced the old girvin fork with a 97 girvin crosslink...or you could hunt around and find a ods unit with spring to go on the front girvin vector fork.It took a long time but i got a nr2 off ebay for the rear and a risse terminator off a board member.If you are interested i may be able to track down a ods or two.......or as dan says you can still get elastomer(Sorry callum mcu springs) albeit in only one flavour....
kiwi proflex rider

LenP

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 12:41:45 am »
Thanks for the replies! And for your offer to help.

I am currently checking in with local bike shops on MCU availability...  I'll try that first and see what happens.  As far as the NR-2 for the rear shock, is it a direct fit?  You mention a risse terminator - what's that?  Will an NR-2 pulled out of a LONG crosslink ELT work?

Thanks

-Len

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2003, 09:08:41 pm »
the shock of a crosslink wont fit as the lower mount is a eyelet whilst the rear shock has a cone type fitting that actually nests into the rear strut.A risse termimator is an air shock made by risse with adjustable rebound and compression dampig,Risse and stratos make shocks to suit yor 756

risse

stratos
« Last Edit: July 22, 2003, 09:09:16 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

LenP

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 02:45:50 pm »
Thanks, that helps.  I've ordered Risse shocks front and back.

-Len