Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 10:18:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 44
Total: 44
44 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Helix or noleenshockservice.com?  (Read 4074 times)

Gman L

Helix or noleenshockservice.com?
« on: July 02, 2003, 04:46:00 pm »
So I love my '00 EVO.  I'm a big guy (215#) and I ride it hard (no big drops to flat, but jump every time I get the chance on the trail) and the bike has never let me down.

I'm an aggressive XC rider that does regular "epic" rides (3-5 hours, 3-4k vertical feet) along with all the shorter mid-week stuff.  I consider myself a classic "back country" rider, no racing, just lots and lots of riding.

My rear shock has lost it's dampening control, and I do feel the need for that adjustability.  Even after a softer spring, it's just a bit too bouncy.

Do I send it to noleenshockservice.com for $100?  Anyone dealt with these guys?  Will the rebuild last a while?

Or do I bite down on a Helix expert from these guys?
http://www.stratosusa.com/docs/shocks.htm

Or do I just <gasp!> get a new bike like the Kona Dawg???  I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the bike, but at some point upgrading the old reaches the point of diminishing returns.

Thanks for the help,
Gman out

TCP

• Novice
  • I know nothing!...noth ing!
a third option....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 02:30:31 am »
I have a 2000 evo as well and have been riding a helix expert on it for while now, the ride is much better.  I also weigh 200+(beer dependant) and enjoy the ride very much.  Due to job loss and financial constraints, I am looking to sell this shock.
I purchased it new in late  2001 and rode it for the summer of 2002.  it is the correct 8.25" length for the evo frame(it has the custom tail installed) and has a 600lb spring. The damping is amazingly controlled. I would sell it for $175 shipped anywhere in the US or Canada.  email me if you are interested.

Gman L

Re: Helix or noleenshockservice.com?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 03:10:03 am »
TC, can you email me?  I don't see your addr on this page and I am, as of yet, not a member and cannot send you a private message.  

Thx,
Greg

TCP

• Novice
  • I know nothing!...noth ing!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 03:56:39 am »
email sent.  thanks.

Gordo

• Novice
  • Don't make fun of the stripes
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 05:48:37 am »
I got my shock rebuilt by noleen about 3 months ago. So far it has worked well. But I think I would get a new shock if available. I couldn't since I have an animal that has a very strange rear nr-1. (with the long shaft)
98 Animal

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 07:27:18 am »
I got my shock rebuilt by noleen about 3 months ago. So far it has worked well. But I think I would get a new shock if available. I couldn't since I have an animal that has a very strange rear nr-1. (with the long shaft)

You mean like this?

http://www.risseracing.com/applications/k2.htm

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 12:58:51 pm »
You can get a Vanilla R for less than 80 bucks in ebay.
The shock is 7.87" in length but that is really not noticeable.  Installation is not a big hassle but you have to file the upper bushings and put washers in the lower bushings. The hole of the upper bushings is wider than the bolt that holds it attached to the frame. You have to get a bushing inserted so that the bolt has no play. If you have any sort of mechanical skills it is very simple; if not, get someone who does(have mech skills)
Initially the schock feels bouncy, but you can control that with the rebound adjuster(full rebound will lock the shock) In my case, after a couple of rides I am using zero damping in the rear and zero damping in the fork. Your pedalling can adjust to the livelier shock. I have read the Stratus' are a bit overdamped, probably a completely different suspension feeling, may have to give it a try someday.

Gman L

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2003, 03:21:47 am »
OK, I found a pretty good deal on a 7.875" Fox Vanilla R.  I'm not too excited about modifying the geometry of the bike, but it will be a cheap experiment.  I'll give it a shot and report back.

G

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2003, 09:16:17 am »
Geometry change is hardly noticeable, ride improvement is. Hope you got the right spring weight.

Gman L

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 10:03:10 am »
Me too!  700#  From what I could find that's the size.