Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 12:17:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newb question regarding shocks  (Read 2700 times)

bayarearider

• Journeyman
Newb question regarding shocks
« on: July 12, 2003, 06:20:01 pm »
I am new to biking, i bought my proflex 3000 used for $500 bucks a couple months back.  I was wondering if you guys actually send your shocks to noleen for service?  Because I checked their site, and they are charging $100 bucks per shock.  That seems like a hefty price, since i will be serving two shocks.  What it be a better idea if i just replace the rear NR-2 with a brand new rear shock?  That brings me to my other question, is there a page where i can see what shocks are able to work with my bike?  And one last question, if i were looking for a direct replacement for my front shock (Crosslink ELT fork) what is the model of the front shock?  I  can't seem to find that information anywhere

So Replace or repair?

I am hearing a squeeky(sounds similar to noisy brake pads) every time my rear shock rebounds, Does this thing need servicing?
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Newb question regarding shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 07:39:47 pm »
You dont say what kind of proflex 3000 you have.Is it a strut bike or an evo type frame.Risse and stratos make shocks that will bolt stright up to your bike.Evo owners have also fitted fox shocks and even 5th element shocks to the rear.As far as I know only risse make a shock for the crosslink.If you search back throught the posts you wil see that this is a common  topic.( rear shock fitments)If you are seriuosly considering upgrading the crosslink many peop;e have got a new fork as it makes the fitment of discs straightforward.
kiwi proflex rider

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 02:00:26 am »
if the shocks have compression and rebound then they probably don't need servicing.  if you lose internal pressure or the oil seals blow and you have oil leakage, no rebound - then they need to be replaced or serviced.  remove the springs and cycle the shocks and you'll be able to tell pretty quickly.

some of the seals squeek - try removing the shock, spring and turn the shock upside down.  spray windex on the shaft and let it run to the shaft seal then turn it back over and wipe the area clean - a q-tip helps.

keeping the shaft and rubber seal clean helps with noise and also quite the opposite.  i'll use a little moly oil on mine and let the moly soak in then wipe clean.  i've even played with fork seal butter (judy).   that helps in addition to keeping the shock covered with a lizard skin or a cut down umbrella cover or my favorite:

a pair of brightly colored argyle socks using the toe hole at the top of the sock for the shock head.

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 03:03:30 am »
You'll be better off in the long run replacing your forks with a conventional type fork,as for overhauling or servicing your shock is there any noleen service agents you could try instead of going back directly to noleen? here in the u.k I had my old Nr4 overhauled by an agent at a very modest cost, far cheaper than a replacement,as your new to biking don't go throwing lots of money into your bike until your sure biking is for you, it can be a quick way to lose money.Simon :-/
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 05:19:41 am »
Thanks guys

all the replies were great and very helpful.  I'll trying cleaning the shocks like Old_Proflexer said. And Kiwi, i am not exactly sure the difference between a strut bike and the evo frame.  How can i distinguish the two?  I am sure mine is a 1998 proflex though.

And simon, i'll consider that.  I'll keep riding until i am sure i want to drop money on a new suspension setup.

thanks for the help
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 08:10:11 am »
favorite:

a pair of brightly colored argyle socks using the toe hole at the top of the sock for the shock head.

OP

What a great idea.  I can recycle my mountain bike socks.