Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 07:19:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 59
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newbie info request -- current replacement shcks for OZ  (Read 5279 times)

slight-return

• Novice
Newbie info request -- current replacement shcks for OZ
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:46:32 am »
hi1 guys

I've actually had an OZ for quite some time (maybe 7-8 years) in varying states of repair/functionality

anyway, I'm looking to rebuild it, but need a new rear shock...I realize its a bit of an atypical size

any recommendations?
anything with remote lockout/damping control?

Thanks for the help (sorry if it's a redundant post, couldn't find the info in the search and availability changes, so I thought I'd ask)

IMO

• Apprentice
  • if it aint broke.- you aint tryin
Re: Newbie info request -- current replacement shcks for OZ
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »
Hi, see my coil to air conversion thread  .

Lots of ideas on here, but we need more info. where you ride,  how you ride, whats on it the mo,  do you prefer.- air or coil ?

DHX5 perhaps, or  rp23, or DT swiss....
The downside of every climb is in the upside

slight-return

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:52:31 pm »
thanks - well, at this point I wanted to see what was available so I could, at least, get the unit functional and see what I can get it to do (I figure the options might be limited these days - so it doesnt have to be a primary ride and I'm not going to try to make it what it isn't)...basically don't want it to be a garage potato

I stripped the frame all the way down yesterday

My personal  riding conditions can vary radically, Im a 40 year old has-been now :), but still wind up getting calls from folks (was in the hypertourist, Boulder bike freak scene in the 90s) to ride in different conditions, so I tend to source a machine based on the ride and (if travelling) what I can borrow

I am toying with the idea of setting it up the OZ as a UA/omnipurpose bash ride

So I'm not especially worried about it being tuned too specifically, actually a wider operational range would prob be better (hence a lockout would be nice)

used to be a retrogrouch on the roadie side (I could actually get command shifters to work!), but tried to stay decently current during the development of MTB suspension, so I'm not real up on the suspension retrofit scene (and I cant machine stuff for Sh*t), but can dig the tilting that particular windmill
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:05:30 pm by slight-return »

slight-return

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »
quick Q: the stock shock spec is, what 8.25in [209.5] eye to eye or so?

any thoughts on how far off that you can go, before the geometry starts wonking?

oh, thanks VERY much for the help
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:22:25 pm by slight-return »

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:14 pm »
general consensus on here seems to be anything from 190mm (which is the length of my current shock) through to someone with a 225mm shock but i cant remember who that is, ive just bought a 212mm swinger air 4 way so ill be fitting that this week, theres loads of good shocks available now that will make the oz every bit as good as a modern single pivot bike (but far better looking of course  ;D).
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

slight-return

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:56:11 am »
As I starting thinking about the project, (it started as cleaning out the storage, now I'm looking at what I can do with it) one thing I'm interested in correcting/mitigating with the rear shock replacement is the pedalling inefficiency given the single pivot.

how well does the propedal type stuff work on this frame?

I'm thinking something with a remote lockout would be nice

any thoughts along that direction?

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:42:56 am »
"..................correcting/mitigating ..................the pedalling inefficiency given the single pivot.............." - WHAT????

That's the thing that I love about my PRO~FLEX's; the lack of pedal bob despite the simple looking design! <GRIN>

I've seen much more recent and supposedly superior bikes pogoing away as the rider climbs up ahead of me......maybe it's their technique that's at fault?

I think PRO~FLEX got the design of the pivot point spot on..........IMHO...........

Col.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:45:53 am by Colin »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

slight-return

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:20:27 am »
  - WHAT????

I think PRO~FLEX got the design of the pivot point spot on..........IMHO...........

I'm from the other perspective - love the reactivity of the swingarm, not in love with the pedalling efficiency

efficiency problem was one of the reasons my OZ was in varying states of repair (and eventual garage potato) for a good portion of its life

That's where I'm hoping a new shock (lockout or maybe a compound springrate, etc) can help me

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:25:52 am by slight-return »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 11:01:43 am »
- WHAT????

I'm from the other perspective - love the reactivity of the swingarm, not in love with the pedalling efficiency

efficiency problem was one of the reasons my OZ was in varying states of repair (and eventual garage potato) for a good portion of its life

That's where I'm hoping a new shock (lockout or maybe a compound springrate, etc) can help me

Where to begin. The best thing about the proflexes is the ability to take a great design and almost perfect it. I am a lover of the Swingers. It has just enough platform to take out the bobbing, and goes ultra plush when pushed through the platform valve.

The thing with the noleens is you either have it set harsh to prevent bobbing or soft for a cushy ride. I like to have my swinger set so the platform valving is set like molasses, but still alowing movement. But when platform releases it is very fluid. I never really notice the platform.

It is almost impossible to find a platform shock in 8.25" i2i. I have used an 8.5" 4 way coil which was fantastic, but heavy. My current is a 7.875" with an adapter block to get me up to 8.25" i2i.

I think anyone who has moved to platform valving is pretty happy with the upgrade. Brings the bike up to today's standards for chump change.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:24:58 am »
I have a mate who rides a 4000 (I think) with platform and finds it really good.
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 04:00:08 pm »
ive just fitted a 4 way swinger to an oz but unfortunately i havent had a proper ride out on it yet as im waiting for some heavy duty stainless steel bushes for it, but i have rode round the block on it and im impressed with it plush when you need it but a nice solid feel when pedaling, the shock was originally off an orange patriot 66 is 215mm long and cost me £21 ( oh so cheap!!  ;D )
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!