Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 08:27:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43
43 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Oz seat tube insert finished  (Read 4499 times)

Thunderchild

• Master
Oz seat tube insert finished
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:10 pm »
I installed the new seat tube insert today.  Looking good so far.  I will let it cure for 24 hours and then try it out.  I tried posting pictures to the gallery, but the upload button was not working.  Anyone know whats going on with uploading to the gallery? 

I have pictures comparing what is left of the old insert and the new one and the installed product.  I will post as soon as the gallery is up and working. 

Thunderchild 
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
Re: Oz seat tube insert finished
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:32:19 pm »
Gallery is working for me. I just uploaded a pic of the wifes K2
"Never waste a downhill"

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:23:28 pm »
Yee Haw!  The Oz should be renamed the Phoenix (or Fawkes--anyone from England--) as it has arisen from the broken seat tube ashes.  I rode my Oz last night on a rather challenging trail with varied terrain.  Not one creak or noticeable problem with the seat tube insert.  I decided to not have a slot cut in the seat tube for clamping the seatpost in.  That is one thing I would change on the original machining job.  I tightened the seatpost clamp as hard as I dared and the seatpost would still turn by twisting the seat with force just a bit less than Hulk's. 

As for the slot, Anyone have any input on the length of the slot?  I could cut as far as the original piece or maybe ~12-15mm.  I will drill a small hole and round it out.  Then, cut the slot to the hole.  Open to any techniques to make sure I do this right.

Not sure why I couldn't get the upload button to work, but it works now.  Yeah, probably operator error.  I will try and post a few pictures tonight.   

Thunderchild
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »
Good news!

I think I would cut well below the clamp.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:34:50 am »
First, I want to say thanks to all on the list who have helped me fix my Oz.   8) Thanks Simon for the detailed drawing of the seat tube.  8) 8) All of the machinists I talked to were amazed to see an actual drawing of the part.  Even more amazed as how I had received the drawing. 

The slot is cut and the Oz with new seat tube has another 12 miles of rough American Fork Canyon trail under its belt.  A few pictures of the process follow and more are in the gallery.

Thunderchild

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:00:25 am by Thunderchild »
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 01:28:41 pm »
Excellent work!

I will be ready when mine goes.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:56:00 am »
Ah from the pic's I take it my method of removing the old insert worked okay ??

Your all more than welcome to the drawings maybe I'll try and upload them and get it stickied one day.

Opps forgot to mention when I did mine I made 2 so I have a spare. I may part with it if anyone was really
really stuck but I'd be reluctant because you just never know what you may need in the future.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:21:20 pm »
Ah from the pic's I take it my method of removing the old insert worked okay ??

Yeah, worked well.  I used my dremel tool, with a milling bit, to assist the hack saw action.  Once I cut through a couple of times, it came out without much effort.  I was worried I might damage the tube inside the frame, but it too was fine.  When I first inserted the new seat tube to check for fit(even after sanding down the old epoxy inside a bit), it became stuck.  I had to carefully knock it out by hitting the seatpost inserted into the tube with a rubber mallet and sand the inside a bit more prior to gluing the tube in. 

I got a pretty good deal on the part as it only cost me $103.   8)

Thunderchild
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame