Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:24:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My review of 1990 Offroad  (Read 3750 times)

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
My review of 1990 Offroad
« on: April 13, 2008, 09:32:58 pm »
Did a substatial ride Friday on my offroad after tuning to my liking. The elastomers have been
replaced front and rear, the seatpost and my favorite saddle, pedals, tires and tubes.

The rear is more like a softail, but really quite amazing. With little more than 1 inch of travel, I can feel the rear absorbing some small stuff on climbing, giving me the impressing of greater grab. On descending there is no hopiing noticable, keeping the tail end stable and straight. Climbing is pretty good on average.

The front end with flexstem also has the 1 inch of travel. Ok, it does it's job but I am craving more. Back in the day, I can only assume it was astounding, but I am used to jamming the front wheel into obstacles. So I have to pick my line very carefully. (Kinda itching to put an old Marzochi World cup on it.)

Braking a shifting are spot on, and as good as anything modern. The frame is no lightweight, but is beefy as heck. With all upgrade, it weighs in at 28 lbs. It is a terrific firetrail bike.

This is the Santa Susanna mountain range above my home. The Rockwell Int.Santa Susanna Field Test Lab(America's largest radiation disaster)loom to the distant peaks at the right about 1/2 wheel dia above handlebar grip. I live about 15 miles to the left of this view.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS