Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 02:23:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51
51 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Avid mech pad-adjust dial not turning.  (Read 2170 times)

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Avid mech pad-adjust dial not turning.
« on: June 08, 2003, 01:59:56 pm »
Fellas, I posted this on MTBR also. I was fiddling w/ my brakes, making adjustments, turning the larger red dial to loosen the pad then when I tried to turn it back the other way, it won't turn anymore - it's STUCK! Anybody else had this problem b4? 'will appreciate any input.....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 02:01:04 pm by ToNYC »

jimbo

Re: Avid mech pad-adjust dial not turning.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 02:38:13 pm »
Did you try taking the pads out to see if there is any crap in the caliper housing?  Might be something stuck in there.  

I noticed the new Avids with the spring pad clip could be a problem if you accidently bend the spring trying to mount the wheel also.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 04:03:29 pm »
  You can pop the dial off and try and move the piston adjuster tab w/ a pair of pliers. My used avids required a dab of grease on the inside of the red dials to keep them moving freely.

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 02:44:48 am »
I have not had this happen to my Avids yet, but have had the inner caliper pistons on my Hayes mechanicals seize.  The problem there is that the caliper housing is cast aluminum and the threaded piston is also aluminum.  This is an absolute no-no in aerospace engineering.  They will seize/gall eventually.  I suspect the Avids have a similar material choice for weight/cost savings.  I suggest everyone lubricate these threads with a high quality anti-seize compound or brake grease and turn them in and out a few threads once in awhile, even if they don't need adjusting.  If the lubricant has been "washed out" and the piston is turned, or just sits in one place for a long time, galling/seizing is likely.

Oddly enough, the older Hayes has a steel piston.  Magura also uses steel in its brakes with manually adjustable inner calipers.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 02:48:35 am by GET »
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)