Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 06:31:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: K2 Proflex 4000 Parts?  (Read 2915 times)

Soul

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
K2 Proflex 4000 Parts?
« on: May 30, 2003, 05:06:24 am »
Hi, I have a K2 proflex 4000. Its quite old now, and been in the garage for some time. Ive also put on a little weight :) and the spring doesnt seem to be rated high enough to take me? I find I need to preload the rear spring heavily to stop the ride being too sloopy/bouncy and its still got a lot of travel/bounce in it now. Im assuming its the spring, tbh I havent looked at the dampner. Im not even sure if its gas or oil :/

Picture below.

Basically, I want to find somewhere were I can buy a spring, or find information on how to refill or service the dampener. Catch is im in the UK, and would like to find somewhere uk based, or at least find somewhere cheap enough in maybe the usa that I dont get customs added VAT slapped all over everything :) I also once saw anodised nut sets grouped by bike model, dont know if anyone has any ideas on sourcing these? Thanks for any help im desperate to get this bike nice again.

This is the same model I got.

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
Re: K2 Proflex 4000 Parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 02:16:58 pm »
    I can't really help with the UK part, but I can offer some experience with the Noleen rear shock.  I'd bet money that your shock should be rebuilt or replaced.  Many people who frequent this site have switched to other brands of shocks like Fox or Stratos.  You can find information in the archive, files, galleries, and older messages.

If you are having to preload a lot to limit sag, then you need a stiffer spring.  Preload will not help bounciness.  As soon as you load the spring past the preload point, it will no longer have an effect.

If you want to work on your shock, you might try a motorcycle shop.  Also, there are a number of UKers that will probably be able to refer you to someone.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

Soul

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 09:51:55 pm »
Ok, I think RDI might beable to send me the spring Im after, but Im now alittle worried this dampner needs work. Ive looked in the documents on this website for K2 manuals, and dont see any referring to the proflex 4000. Is there a diferent designation of this model? other than proflex4000? Or does anyone know exactly what type of shock mine is? Im assuming from previous posts, I have a noleen shock, not sure what model, with oil in the cylinder, and the piggy back cartridge is nitrogen filled?

I basically want to know exactly what my shock is, and maybe the model number so I can search around some more.

Thanks

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 11:31:06 pm »
If it has a piggyback reservoir, it's an NR-4. If it's too springy (i.e. bouncy) the damping is shot. It's likely that you just blew a seal, but even that can be an expensive repair. If the spring weight was okay for you before, it shouldn't be much different now (unless you've put on a LOT of weight).  The springs cover a pretty large weight range - somewhere on the order of 40-50 pounds.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Soul

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 01:24:03 am »
yer its got a cylinder on the rear of it, so thats hydrogen filled? Well, tbh it was always alittle too soft, but ive definately moved up alittle. something like 3 stone at least since i was riding regular a good couple of years ago, but since ive never used it much, i made do. Now I wanna spend some cash on it and get it just right again cause the bike still looks brand new and just sat idle in the garage.

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 08:36:39 pm »
 [smiley=nod.gif]get in touch with callum, from rdi. he knows of a uk shop that can rebuild your noleen. and he can get you a spring. you can get noleen shock service to rebuild it for $100USD. i'm not sure what shipping would be.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 11:56:55 pm »
In the UK contact Dave at http:// cvi.co.uk
This is Callums "go to man" for shock service.  I think it might even be practical to send from the states to Dave considering Noleen wants $100 for a basic seal/oil service, though they do offer custom valving in that price for those that need it.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Soul

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 11:58:48 pm »
thanks for the replies, Im currently in contact with dave now, think i might just send the whole shock to him, see what can be done. thanks again.